Switch to Forum Live View Helpful Moral Tips for Emotional Wellbeing
2 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 11:02PM #1
Anonymous2012

* Edited for clarity.

Important: I am NOT trying to start a new religion. I am NOT trying to convert anyone.

Also, I am NOT against atheists in any way, as long as they are good, decent people.

I am just trying to share what I consider to be helpful tips for emotional wellbeing. I hope some of what I wrote will be useful to people, who are feeling depressed and confused and who are not sure what to believe anymore.

I don't think there is one Messiah. I think there are many. That old souls are coming back to Earth, learning their lessons and having children, which will make the world a better place.

Treat people the same way they treat you, to prevent getting hurt. Make sure this is according to the laws of your country.

Show people affection as much as possible, especially to young children.

Six of the Noahide Laws:

Incestuous and adulterous relations are forbidden. Human beings are not sexual objects, nor is pleasure the ultimate goal of life.

Murder is forbidden. The life of a human being, formed in G-d's image, is sacred.

Cursing the name of G-d is forbidden. Besides honoring and respecting G-d, we learn from this precept that our speech must be sanctified, as that is the distinctive sign which separated man from the animals.

Theft is forbidden. The world is not ours to do with as we please.

Eating the flesh of a living animal is forbidden. This teaches us to be sensitive to cruelty to animals. (This was commanded to Noah for the first time along with the permission of eating meat. The rest were already given to Adam in the Garden of Eden.)

Mankind is commanded to establish courts of justice and a just social order to enforce the first six laws and enact any other useful laws or customs.

'How to Win Friends and Influence People' by Dale Karnegie, a great book, which shows how to be a good friend and a good leader, while being genuinely interested in people

TV series 'The Slap' by Christos Tsiolkas, which say important moral things about modern Australian society, which applies to the Western society in General

Possibly the book 'The Slap' by Christos Tsiolkas (very crude language, but in some parts better than the TV series)

'The Gods Must be Crazy' (1980)

'Pretty Woman' (1990) is also a very good movie about modern Western Culture, which teaches in its own way about love and morality

'Uncle Buck' (1989) and 'Edward Scissorhands' (1990) are beautiful movies with important ethical lessons for teenage girls

Possible belief in Spirit Guides from other planets and other dimensions

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 9:43AM #2
mountain_man

Apr 22, 2012 -- 11:02PM, Anonymous2012 wrote:

I don't think there is one Messiah....

There are none. Never will be.

Treat people the same way they treat you...

Treat them better.

Six of the Noahide Laws...

No thanks. I don't need some demands from a non existent god to tell me how to behave. If you do; then you really should reflect on why.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 1:37PM #3
mainecaptain

I like that Dave, Treat people better then you wish to be treated. If everyone followed just that one bit of advice the world would be a better place. No other advice would be needed.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 1:13AM #4
Anonymous2012

* Apologies for the late reply. I've been busy and tired.

Also, thanks for moving my thread to the correct forum

You all have the right to your opinions.

Apr 23, 2012 -- 1:37PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Treat people better then you wish to be treated. If everyone followed just that one bit of advice the world would be a better place. No other advice would be needed.

Honestly: I used to believe that and I used to practice that and then I got hurt by people over and over again until I realized, that I cannot practice that (treating people better than I wish to be treated) anymore. So I came up with an alternative, which seems to work well for me. So I mentioned this alternative in the original post in this thread.

That's all I'll say. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 4:29AM #5
Estacia

I agree w/ the person below me. One can only take so much. Ialways treat others the way I want to be treated. Initnally, I ALWAYS do. However after that you will get treated the way you treat me.

" If crazy comes towards you, cross the street"!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 10:00AM #6
Anonymous2012

Jun 2, 2012 -- 4:29AM, Estacia wrote:

I agree w/ the person below me. One can only take so much. Ialways treat others the way I want to be treated. Initnally, I ALWAYS do. However after that you will get treated the way you treat me.

" If crazy comes towards you, cross the street"!

Thanks :) I'm glad you understand and agree. I also agree about the initial treatment of people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2012 - 12:25AM #7
Estacia

Exactly!!!!!!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2012 - 10:53AM #8
Junoah

Hello everyone. I'd like to make an address to the topic here, "helpful moral tips for emotional well being".

In my opinion the highest sense of morality is a state of "Being" not a particular "Doing" - it is not aout performing a certain action, or 'doing' a particular thing. Thats to say its not about 'giving to charity'...'giving food to the poor'...or saying 'kind words' to someone and so on of the like - although these are great things, just because someone does them doesnt necessarily mean they are 'moral' or 'ethical'. The point that im attempting to make is that the 'root' motivator of those particular actions can be anything from selfishness, aggrandizement, seeking gratification, appraisal ect.  And Is one eithical or moral by appearing' to be doing nice things while at heart having alternative selfish or 'corrupt' intentions? This can actually flower into something completely unethical and can possibly cause disruption.

This is why i'd say its about a 'being' not a 'doing'. Therefore it comes down to an issue of self understanding. *Any advice i would give to someone truly concerned with 'ethical or moral living for well being', would first and foremost be the *understanding of oneself continuously - the finding out of whats really 'there', 'within', ones actual intentions/ desires / motives.

In truly being 'good' all that one does is (more or less) good - eithical - sane.

www.healthyarousal.com

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook