Switch to Forum Live View An atheist who's not exactly thrilled with the idea of abortion
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 2:34PM #1
Sparky_Spotty
I'm definitely and atheist. And my views on abortion are certainly not in any way coming from a religious point of view.
That being said:

I can't really say I 'approve'  of abortion.

I don't think I'd go so far as saying I want laws to prevent it. I just (from a mixed ethical/naturist viewpoint) don't like the idea. I'm not entirely sure what motivates it. I certainly don't fear punishment from some deity.

I think it comes down to some sort of abstract 'respect' for human life.
And my level of disapproval increases with the length of the term.  
A two week old group of cells certainly feels less like a human life to me than a late term abortion, but I'm not sure at what point in time the classification "flips".

I realize birth control has a failure rate, even tubal ligation or vasectomy, but pregnancy is the risk an adult should accept when he/she chooses to engage in conventional intercourse.

I know there are exceptions like rape where informed consent is not given, and I'm certainly in no position to council the victim that their choice to abort is 'wrong'. Frankly I don't have that right, and not sure I would do so even if I did.

In the case though where 2 consenting adults decide to have sex, and through method failure, or just plain neglegence, a pregnancy occurs, well, that's kinda the risk you accepted when you chose to have sex. And to then decide to terminate what in most cases will become a human being, well it strikes me as kind of irresponsible. Like wanting your cake and eating it too.

Exclusing cases of rape or coersion, didn't you agree to the risk of becoming preganant when you decided to have sex?  
And frankly if you're not financially, emotionally or metally prepared to deal with having a child, maybe you shouldn't be having conventional intercourse.  Goodness knows there are lots of alternative sexual activities you can share with your partner that don't carry the risk of pregnancy.      

I know there are exceptions, so please don't bother yelling at me about "what if she was raped" etc.    

Discuss.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 2:45PM #2
HuntPA

You mean that people should take responsibility for their actions!?!?!?  That is just plain blasphemy!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 6:29PM #3
Sparky_Spotty

Seems reasonable, no?

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook