Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Mangled Horses, Maimed Jockeys
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 5:51PM #1
christine3
Please do not support horse racing.  

indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/...

Spain banned bloody sport of bull fighting 2011.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10784611...

Animal Fighting of all sorts and details.  Do not support.  Report when you hear of it happening.
www.idausa.org/facts/fighting.html

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 6:19PM #2
solfeggio

The disgusting thing is that, on average, in America, twenty-four horses die each week in racing accidents.  And, over the last three years, 3,600 horses died during racing or training at various tracks in America.

www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/us/death-and-...

The deaths of these poor horses go unnoticed, and their bodies are shipped to rendering plants.

Jockeys suffer injuries, too, of course, which is unfortunate.  But, it was their choice to ride, and they knew the risks, whereas the horses had no choice in the matter.  It is to the horses that we should address all our concern and sympathy.  They were unwilling participants in a nasty sport.

Profit-driven cruelty.  That's all horse-racing is.

Boycott horse racing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 6:20PM #3
mytmouse57

Well, if nothing else, it's a good source for horse burgers and steak.

(ducks)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 6:23PM #4
solfeggio

Yeah, you should duck.  But, I know you do love horses yourself, and I know you wouldn't like to see them mistreated, mouse.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 6:25PM #5
mytmouse57

Mar 26, 2012 -- 6:23PM, solfeggio wrote:

Yeah, you should duck.  But, I know you do love horses yourself, and I know you wouldn't like to see them mistreated, mouse.

Americans are very squeamish about eating horses.

My understanding is, many Europeans are not.

What about in New Zealand?

I know you, personally, do not eat meat. But, do Kiwis who do eat meat indulge in horse meat?

Just curious.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 6:40PM #6
solfeggio

Well, we've got a large Tongan population here, and they like horse meat, but I don't think the average Kiwi is all that crazy about horse meat.  Kiwis are a lot like Americans in that way.  Our cultures are very similar.  We think of horses in the same way that people think of dogs and cats: they are our friends and we don't eat our friends.

I had a look at Wiki, and I see that the country that is the biggest consumer of horse meat is China, fofllowed by Mexico.  Of course, what don't they eat in China?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 6:53PM #7
Fodaoson

In France(andMexico) you can get horse meat in restaurants. If it is prepared right  it tastes just like….horse meat. 

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 9:06PM #8
REteach

I think we should ban cars because around 30,000 Americans die every year in car accidents. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 11:51PM #9
solfeggio

There's a difference between cars and horses.  People choose to drive, and people make decisions that could lead to accidents.

Horses are unwilling victims of humans' whims and wishes.

But, yes, maybe it would be a good idea to think about at least trying to make more responsible drivers.  Too many accidents are caused by plain old-fashioned carelessness.  People drive whilst talking on cell phones.  People drive too fast.  They try to pass on a curve.  They don't pay attention to stop signs.  They reach down to change a CD or a radio station without looking where they're driving. 

And, of course, too many people drive after they've had a few too many drinks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 12:44PM #10
christine3

Mar 26, 2012 -- 9:06PM, REteach wrote:

I think we should ban cars because around 30,000 Americans die every year in car accidents. 

Well, I didn't know that that many Americans die every.  So I wonder how many in the world die every year?  Probably more than all the current wars being fought. 

Amazing.

I think if I had money, I'd buy some land to have a couple of horses.  They would have a wonderful life.  I'd ride my horse instead of driving the car.  I'd try and get some town rules changed so that people could use transportation with horses again.  I know they do as a quaint recall to our past in America, in many towns and cities, especially on holidays and in the summertime. Why not all year long?  

If I had money, they'd have enough land to pasture.  I'd take them on walks through the mountains, and ride them into town, tie them up to a hitching post while I go in and shop.  What could be more enjoyable if you don't mind a slower pace?  But would have to do something about the poop!  That's probably going to be the City Council's best argument for there not being horses in town.  

Perhaps it could be arranged that there is a stable outside of town where people could hitch their horses, like in the old days like it is shown in movies.  The rider comes into town, takes the horse to the stable, and says, "Brush him down, feed and water him," and then the rider goes to his destination, usually a saloon!  Well, that's the movies.  But there could be a shuttle from the stable for people who ride their horses into town.

I am serious about horse transportation again.  In many parts of the world, horse, donkey, mule, and cattle transportation is still used. 

I am actually against horses being used for humans' selfish whims and wishes.  But if I had a horse, it would be happy.  It would have a life, not just be used.  It would be like part of the family.   I have chickens, they are extremely happy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook