Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Mangled Horses, Maimed Jockeys
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 3:08PM #21
mindis1

Mar 27, 2012 -- 12:44PM, christine3 wrote:

I'd ride my horse instead of driving the car.  I'd try and get some town rules changed so that people could use transportation with horses again. 

[. . .] 

I am actually against horses being used for humans' selfish whims and wishes.  

Hello? What is this but a blatant self-contradiction, Christine? What is the reason that you wish to ride horses and tie them up in cities and work to change laws about using horses for transportation, if not for “humans’ selfish whims and wishes”? It isn’t the horses who are campaigning to be ridden and used by humans, is it?

Horses are perfectly happy without being used by humans to transport humans and pull heavy loads. Right?

A veterinarian friend told me that chronic spinal problems that are not caused by catastrophic direct impacts are quite common in horses that are ridden a lot. Obviously horses did not evolve to have a human sitting on the middle of its spinal cord or to pull heavy loads strapped to it.  

It confounds me that you are advocating using horses in such ways on your own thread about injuries to race horses.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 3:57PM #22
christine3

Mar 29, 2012 -- 3:08PM, mindis1 wrote:

I'd ride my horse instead of driving the car.  I'd try and get some town rules changed so that people could use transportation with horses again. 

[. . .] 

Hello? What is this but a blatant self-contradiction, Christine? What is the reason that you wish to ride horses and tie them up in cities and work to change laws about using horses for transportation, if not for “humans’ selfish whims and wishes”? It isn’t the horses who are campaigning to be ridden and used by humans, is it?

Horses are perfectly happy without being used by humans to transport humans and pull heavy loads. Right?

A veterinarian friend told me that chronic spinal problems that are not caused by catastrophic direct impacts are quite common in horses that are ridden a lot. Obviously horses did not evolve to have a human sitting on the middle of its spinal cord or to pull heavy loads strapped to it.  

It confounds me that you are advocating using horses in such ways on your own thread about injuries to race horses.  

Yeah, I can see that. But I had sort of a romantic feeling and nostalgic feeling to return to my past.   Coming from a native indian background, where horse and man were like a team.  Native Americans are appalled at the way horses are used.  I feel for horses that haul heavy loads.  I wouldn't want to have a heavy rider on my back if I were a horse.  I am against that totally.  Native Americans were light weights.  

I was momentarily reliving the days of the "old West" where cities aren't like they are now, and a livery stable could be a pleasant experience for a horse.  Sorry if I upset anybody.  Like I said, a horse can be as well treated as a family member, or not.  I realize horses did not evolve to carry humans, to fight in wars, to haul heavy loads.  They have been completely mistreated animals on this planet.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 4:05PM #23
Erey

Mar 29, 2012 -- 3:57PM, christine3 wrote:

Mar 29, 2012 -- 3:08PM, mindis1 wrote:

[. . .] 

Yeah, I can see that. But I had sort of a romantic feeling at the time.  Coming from a native indian background, where horse and man were like a team.  Native Americans are appalled at the way horses are used.  I feel for horses that haul heavy loads.  I wouldn't want to have a rider on my back if I were a horse.  I am against that totally.  Native Americans were light weights.  I was momentarily reliving the days of the "old West" where cities aren't like they are now, and a livery stable could be a pleasant experience for a horse.  Sorry if I upset anybody.  Like I said, a horse can be as well treated as a family member, or not.  

I would not be so fast.  I have read historical books written by history professors about Comanches and also Apaches.  The Apaches were passionate about horse meat, the Comanches would not eat horse if they had other choices.  The Comanches were famous for getting a horse and riding it hard so hard that eventually it would collapse. Then they would eat the horse, usually raw. 

These plains indians saw horses as a resource they used. They used them to do whatever they felt they needed at the time.   There is alot of romantic nonsense about Native Americans not to mention horses. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 4:08PM #24
christine3

Mar 29, 2012 -- 4:05PM, Erey wrote:

I would not be so fast.  I have read historical books written by history professors about Comanches and also Apaches.  The Apaches were passionate about horse meat, the Comanches would not eat horse if they had other choices.  The Comanches were famous for getting a horse and riding it hard so hard that eventually it would collapse. Then they would eat the horse, usually raw. 

These plains indians saw horses as a resource they used. They used them to do whatever they felt they needed at the time.   There is alot of romantic nonsense about Native Americans not to mention horses. 

Yes, all of this is true, but not all tribes and individuals treated them this way either. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 4:12PM #25
Erey

Mar 29, 2012 -- 4:08PM, christine3 wrote:

Mar 29, 2012 -- 4:05PM, Erey wrote:

Yes, all of this is true, but not all tribes and individuals treated them this way either. 

No, but the plains indians (Comanches were supreme) were the great horse culture of that time.  Rivaling Gengis Khan.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 11:18AM #26
StephenK.Adams

This discussion has certainly morphed into something much deeper than one would suspect that it might.  Except for vegetarians, we all kill other living beings in order to remain alive ourselves.  We don't catch a gazelle like a lion does and kill it but in effect we do the same thing. 

We earn the money to buy a piece of meat that someone else has killed and we eat it for sustenance.   I am not saying that I prefer vegetarianism either.  Perhaps someday in the future we will learn to live without killing other forms of life but that isn't what is happening right now.

If you read Richard Dawkin's book called, The Greatest Show On Earth, on the last page, he states that without natures "kill or  be killed" structure, the laws of evolution would never have brought forth a life form with the intellectual powers that the human race possesses.   So before we ridicule ourselves for some of our behaviors, it is best to remember that without the "kill or be killed" rules of nature, you and I would not even be here to discuss this situation in the first place. 

Or perhaps more importantly, we would not be intelligent enough to communicate with each other as we are doing right now.   We are creatures of trial and error.   Hopefully, we are learning from our mistakes and eventually we will be more empathic with each other and the other forms of life that we share this planet with.

We have nothing to fear except our lack of understanding of fear itself.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 5:15PM #27
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement