Page 1 of 21  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Next
Switch to Forum Live View NH Bill Requires Doctors To Give Women False Information
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2012 - 12:22PM #1
TPaine

A bill recently passed by the New Hampshire House requires doctors to give women seeking an abortion "informational materials" including there is a link between abortion and breast cancer. The bill states:

It is scientifically undisputed that full-term pregnancy reduces a woman’s lifetime risk of breast cancer. It is also undisputed that the earlier a woman has a first full-term pregnancy, the lower her risk of breast cancer becomes, because following a full-term pregnancy the breast tissue exposed to estrogen through the menstrual cycle is more mature and cancer resistant.

In fact, for each year that a woman’s first full-term pregnancy is delayed, her risk of breast cancer rises 3.5 percent. The theory that there is a direct link between abortion and breast cancer builds upon this undisputed foundation.

The trouble is the concept that there is a connection between abortion and breast cancer has been rejected by organizations such as the National Institute of Health, The American Cancer Society, and the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Since when do politicians know more about medicine than doctors do? Link 

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." -- Justice William Brennan: Speech to the Text and Teaching Symposium at Georgetown University (October 12, 1985)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2012 - 1:16PM #2
mountain_man

This sounds like another ALEC sponsored bill. Our economy is in trouble, gas prices are soaring solely due to speculation, Wall Street in in need of serious reform, and what do these people do? They attack women's rights.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2012 - 1:22PM #3
mainecaptain

I can not believe the governement is trying to pass bills to FORCE doctor to lie. These people have no ethics, no morality, and It sounds illegal. But they will do it anyway

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2012 - 2:20PM #4
Ken

The anti-abortion crowd tries my patience to the limit. This issue was settled almost forty years ago. They should have learned to live with it by now. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2012 - 3:24PM #5
mainecaptain

Mar 17, 2012 -- 2:20PM, Ken wrote:

The anti-abortion crowd tries my patience to the limit. This issue was settled almost forty years ago. They should have learned to live with it by now. 

It is a power and control issue. They lost control. They demand it back. They will lie cheat steal and hurt (or kill) anyone in their way to get that total power and control.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2012 - 3:26PM #6
IreneAdler

From an article linked to the OP link:

Notter could not be reached for comment Wednesday, but has said in the past she believes there is an abortion-cancer connection. In an interview last month with Merrimack Patch, Notter said she understood that abortion would cause spaces in breast duct tissue to allow for the growth of cancer cells. She said she believed birth control pills lead to the same issue. Notter last month also said that she believed that birth control pills taken by women cause prostate cancer in their male children.

(Notter sponsored this bill)

Well, Ms.Notter, no one cares what you believe.  And one is horrified that you are abusing your  position to advance such ignorant beliefs.

Call me a scientist, but if one is going to cite ‘facts’ and then justify them with words like “undisputed” to make them sound more conclusive, then the sponsor should be required to cite the data that proves such ‘facts’.  Shame on Ms. Notter.

Irene. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2012 - 5:17PM #7
mountain_man

Notter is one nutter.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2012 - 5:46PM #8
sydneymoon

Mar 17, 2012 -- 1:16PM, mountain_man wrote:

This sounds like another ALEC sponsored bill. Our economy is in trouble, gas prices are soaring solely due to speculation, Wall Street in in need of serious reform, and what do these people do? They attack women's rights.

Exactly

Margaret Mead: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2012 - 8:17PM #9
TemplarS

Actually, this could backfire bigtime on these yokels.

Doctor:  "Ms. X, the brainless idiots in your state legislature (insert names here) require me to provide you with this information, which is not actually true and has since been disproven by the medical community.  Have a nice time reading it.  And have a nice election day." 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2012 - 8:26PM #10
REteach

www.acog.org/Resources_And_Publications/...

acog says there is no relationship between abortion and breast cancer. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 21  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook