Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Morning-After Pill in a Vending Machine - Your Thoughts?
3 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 12:48PM #1
Merope

CBS and the AP are reporting that the student health center at Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania has the morning-after pill available to students and university staff via vending machine.  The machine dispenses the Plan B One Step emergency contraceptive.  It also dispenses condoms, decongestants, and pregnancy tests.  The pill costs $25.

The morning-after pill has been available at Shippensburg, via the vending machine, for about 2 years.  However, its existence wasn't widely known until recently.  Yesterday, the FDA said it is contacting state officials and the university to gather facts.  The issue has raised questions about how accessible emergency contraception should be.  According to the linked article, there appears to be no other vending machine in the US that dispenses the morning-after pill.

Under federal law, the pill is available without a prescription to anyone aged 17 or older.  Typically, though, the pill is kept behind the pharmacy counter.  The university has reviewed its enrollment records and determined that all current students are, indeed, 17 or older.

Moreover, the vending machine in the student health center is only accessible to students and university employees.  According to university officials, "no one can walk in off the street and go into the health center."  Students and university employees must check in at a lobby desk before being allowed in.

Consumers have long been able to pop some change into a vending machine for over-the-counter products such as aspirin, ibuprofen, antacids, and the like.  But some experts see a worrisome trend in making meds like Plan B available via vending machine. 

The article notes that surveyed students at Shippensburg have supported the vending machine notion for some years and that student government has likewise endorsed the vending machine deal for some years.

Your thoughts?

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 2:45PM #2
mountain_man

I'd rather have a doctor, or health care professional, involved. "Plan B" can have some pretty bad side effects if you are allergic to some of the ingredients. That would also help avoid use of these pills as routine birth control. It is not as effective as regular birth control.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 3:20PM #3
Girlchristian

I agree with MM on this one.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 3:29PM #4
farragut

I would, perhaps naively, presume that every student can read. And I would further presume that sufficient cautionary instructions are packaged with the product.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 3:40PM #5
Ebon

I'm a little concerned about this one. No problem with the pregnancy tests, rubbers and decongestants but emergency contraception involves a fairly large dose of hormones that can cause health problems. That's why emergency contraception is prescription-only even here (where the anti-sex forces don't hold much sway).

And while I'm in agreement with farragut that the pill is likely to be packaged with plenty of safety instructions, the law of human stupidity virtually guarantees that some bonehead will be gobbling the things down like candy.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 3:57PM #6
farragut

"some bonehead will be gobbling the things down like candy."

Competitor, perhaps, for the Darwin award. That's OK.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 4:02PM #7
Ebon

Well, yes. It does have that to recommend it :)

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 8:33PM #8
REteach

Do you all realize that if aspirin was disovered today, it would not be over the counter? Did you know the most common cause of fatal childhood overdose deaths are related to maternal prenatal vitamins. And for heaven's sake, don't try to commit suicide with Tylenol. It will kill you after you change your mind about dying. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 11:03PM #9
Ebon

What's Tylenol?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2012 - 3:36AM #10
Merope

Feb 9, 2012 -- 11:03PM, Ebon wrote:

What's Tylenol?

A brand name for acetaminophen.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel