Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Komen Foundation Cuts - then Restores - Grants to Planned Parenthood
2 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 8:46AM #21
Yavanna

Feb 8, 2012 -- 4:09PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Feb 8, 2012 -- 2:12PM, Yavanna wrote:

Feb 7, 2012 -- 1:17AM, rangerken wrote:

Feb 7, 2012 -- 1:09AM, Merope wrote:

Well, Mitt Romney has weighed in, telling conservative radio host Scott Hennen that he doesn't think Komen should continue giving money to Planned Parenthood because it provides abortion services.  Romney says the government should stop giving Planned Parenthood money, too.

Well that is a basic conservative position. A lot of us who are conservatives favor women being able to choose for themselves whether or not to become pregnant, or stay pregnant, but strongly oppose the government using taxpayer money to fund abortions.

So I'm with Romney on this issue.

Ken

Are you aware of the percentage of Planned Parenthood devoted to abortions?

3%

The majority of services provided are women's general health. For instance, Planned Parenthood provides breast exams to women who can't afford them.

So what? 

That's like me telling an animal rights vegan, "Hey look, I kill only three percent of the deer I encounter in a given year, what are you so pissed off about?"

I'm not going to say right or wrong on this particular issue (abortion). Nor am I going to adress the larger issue of whether any of us, as taxpayers in this really huge, complex and diverse nation, can ever avoid any of our tax dollars being spent on at least one thing we really don't like.

But my point is, to somebody who takes a deep moral offense to something, and does not want their tax dollars going to it -- "it's only three percent" would be an absurd argument. 

It's only absurd that someone wants to stop 97% of something that saves lives. By opposing it, hurting more lives than helping.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 11:59AM #22
Merope

Informative article in today's San Francisco Bay Times that raises some pertinent points:

1.   Komen’s director of community services, Mollie Williams, resigned in protest at the initial decision to withhold grant funding from Planned Parenthood.

2.   Several of Komen's affiliate offices around the country - including its San Francisco affiliate - distanced themselves from, and publicly objected to, the initial decision to withhold Planned Parenthood funding.

3.   26 US senators sent a letter asking Komen to reconsider its initial decision to withhold Planned Parenthood funding.

4.   Overall, this incident has been a wake-up call to the rising influence of anti-choice advocates within the largest breast cancer charity in the world.

5.   Caught between Komen’s initial decision and its target were the poor and low-income women that the grants to Planned Parenthood were originally designed to serve.  At stake for Planned Parenthood was nearly $700,000 earmarked for breast screenings for poor and low-income women. 

6.   Planned Parenthood's partnership with Komen over the past 5 years has provided 170,000 women with access to these potentially life-saving screenings.

7.   Planned Parenthood is the largest provider of health care to poor and low-income people in the US.  That makes it the group that is best-positioned to provide the education and early detection Komen promotes to the people who need it most.

8.   According to the article, Komen's decision to withhold funding resulted in an outpouring of support for Planned Parenthood.  Along with verbal protests, donors gave $3 million to Planned Parenthood last week, more than quadrupling the Komen funds that had been at risk. 

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 2:47PM #23
mainecaptain

Feb 9, 2012 -- 8:46AM, Yavanna wrote:

It's only absurd that someone wants to stop 97% of something that saves lives. By opposing it, hurting more lives than helping.

That is because they are not really interested in saving lives

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 4:06PM #24
Ebon

So thankful to live in a country where women's healthcare is fairly uncontroversial. The NHS does everything Planned Parenthood does without any real fuss from the populace (which is not to say that the NHS is perfect).

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 5:40PM #25
jane2

Feb 9, 2012 -- 4:06PM, Ebon wrote:

So thankful to live in a country where women's healthcare is fairly uncontroversial. The NHS does everything Planned Parenthood does without any real fuss from the populace (which is not to say that the NHS is perfect).

Ebon

Many of us in the US are not opposed to a national health service. Those most in need are often not served here and that is disgraceful. When I was young medicine was not so much for-profit here. My parents had the original Blue Cross/Blue Shield which was for hospitilization only. We paid for doctor visits and prescriptions. I have excellent medical care and I'm probably over-insured.

Medicare works !!!

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2012 - 12:29PM #26
mytmouse57

Feb 8, 2012 -- 4:09PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Feb 8, 2012 -- 2:12PM, Yavanna wrote:

Feb 7, 2012 -- 1:17AM, rangerken wrote:

Feb 7, 2012 -- 1:09AM, Merope wrote:

Well, Mitt Romney has weighed in, telling conservative radio host Scott Hennen that he doesn't think Komen should continue giving money to Planned Parenthood because it provides abortion services.  Romney says the government should stop giving Planned Parenthood money, too.

Well that is a basic conservative position. A lot of us who are conservatives favor women being able to choose for themselves whether or not to become pregnant, or stay pregnant, but strongly oppose the government using taxpayer money to fund abortions.

So I'm with Romney on this issue.

Ken

Are you aware of the percentage of Planned Parenthood devoted to abortions?

3%

The majority of services provided are women's general health. For instance, Planned Parenthood provides breast exams to women who can't afford them.

So what? 

That's like me telling an animal rights vegan, "Hey look, I kill only three percent of the deer I encounter in a given year, what are you so pissed off about?"

I'm not going to say right or wrong on this particular issue (abortion). Nor am I going to adress the larger issue of whether any of us, as taxpayers in this really huge, complex and diverse nation, can ever avoid any of our tax dollars being spent on at least one thing we really don't like.

But my point is, to somebody who takes a deep moral offense to something, and does not want their tax dollars going to it -- "it's only three percent" would be an absurd argument. 

Depends. Some people want PP shut down. Some just want them to stop refering to abortion clincs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2012 - 12:29PM #27
mytmouse57

Feb 9, 2012 -- 2:47PM, mainecaptain wrote:

That is because they are not really interested in saving lives

How do you know? Have you asked them?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2012 - 4:58PM #28
mainecaptain

Feb 9, 2012 -- 4:06PM, Ebon wrote:

nothing man made or man controlled is perfect, but at least it does work. Wish we had it here

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2012 - 1:25AM #29
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook