Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View Some Super Bowl Viewers Will See Ads Showing Bloody Fetuses
3 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2012 - 8:51PM #41
TemplarS

Jan 16, 2012 -- 5:17PM, Erey wrote:

I can't name anything Justin has done off the top of my head.  

Isn't he a golfer?

Anyhow, the fact is he's a better golfer than he is an entertainer...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2012 - 11:42PM #42
karbie

The tea party comment was as an answer to Dave and not at Nipplegate. I wasn't watching it when it happened, and while it was mentioned that the routine was in questionable taste, the entire focus was on her nipple cover being exposed. to me the fact that a cover was exposed instead of a nipple made it seem the whole incident was being overexposed.

There is nothing that excuses promoting treating women roughly, especially on one of the most-viewed shows on television. That's what the fine should have been about, because it's a problem that cuts across demographic lines. According to Dr.Phil's testimony before Congress, the most common cause of injury for women between the ages of 15-45 is domestic violence. One of his sister-in-laws was set on fire by her now-ex-husband for trying to get away from him.

After my Grandma died--and she never had little old lady tastes--her clothing went to a resale shop whose proceeds go to help battered women. We donated 6 boxes of clothing and I knew she would have been pleased to help one last time.

I hope there's enough negative publicity to make some of the 40 stations drop out of broadcasting bloody fetuses...but if they do, they should identify who paid for the ads to be shown. "This message brought to you by:"--they should get all the "credit" they deserve.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2012 - 12:08AM #43
mountain_man

Jan 16, 2012 -- 11:42PM, karbie wrote:

...There is nothing that excuses promoting treating women roughly, especially on one of the most-viewed shows on television. That's what the fine should have been about, because it's a problem that cuts across demographic lines. According to Dr.Phil's testimony before Congress, the most common cause of injury for women between the ages of 15-45 is domestic violence. One of his sister-in-laws was set on fire by her now-ex-husband for trying to get away from him....

Violence and degradation of women is, in my opinion, part of the core of the anti choice movement. They see women as walking wombs instead of real people. Forcing a woman to continue a pregnancy she does not want is a very real form of abuse and one that takes away her humanity. Those showing vulgar commercials like the one this thread is about care not about women but only of power over them.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2012 - 4:50PM #44
mainecaptain

Jan 17, 2012 -- 12:08AM, mountain_man wrote:

Violence and degradation of women is, in my opinion, part of the core of the anti choice movement. They see women as walking wombs instead of real people. Forcing a woman to continue a pregnancy she does not want is a very real form of abuse and one that takes away her humanity. Those showing vulgar commercials like the one this thread is about care not about women but only of power over them.

"very real form of abuse"  Very true.

Women are nothing but walking wombs to that type. Not fully human, and thus should not be permitted to have full human right, or personal autonomy.

But that type is all about abuse, in the first place. IMO

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2012 - 7:58PM #45
jane2

Jan 17, 2012 -- 4:50PM, mainecaptain wrote:

"very real form of abuse"  Very true.

Women are nothing but walking wombs to that type. Not fully human, and thus should not be permitted to have full human right, or personal autonomy.

But that type is all about abuse, in the first place. IMO

I just dismiss these misanthropes. Hell, I beat all the men in my department in high-end sales at straight-commission for 13 years. And we were all friends.................

I was fortunate--I was a "Daddy's Girl"; my Dad was my earliest and best mentor. He thought I was the cat's meow and it doesn't get much better than that. I collected mentors over the years and had some great ones : mentors teach us how it works.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2012 - 8:39AM #46
TemplarS

Jan 16, 2012 -- 11:42PM, karbie wrote:

...There is nothing that excuses promoting treating women roughly, especially on one of the most-viewed shows on television. That's what the fine should have been about, because it's a problem that cuts across demographic lines. According to Dr.Phil's testimony before Congress, the most common cause of injury for women between the ages of 15-45 is domestic violence. One of his sister-in-laws was set on fire by her now-ex-husband for trying to get away from him....

I think there is a good deal more to violence against women than thinking of them as  "walking wombs."  I should think "walking t & a" is much more to blame.  I my experience, the sort of man who will beat a woman is also the sort who would be very happy to have any sort of pregnancy go away; and the sort who would end up beating the child as well if she actually had one.

In any case, I think the problem is less about what some people think of women as, than what they cannot abide thinking of them as: walking brains and mouths.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 6:57PM #47
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2012 - 6:13PM #48
Mmichael

I can't think of a better way to turn Pro-Life leaning, conservative-leaning, Republican-leaning, sports-loving, football-watching men against the Pro-Life cause than to show them aborted fetuses while they're munching on baby back ribs and enjoying the Super Bowl. I wonder how many of these men will run and get their checkbooks to donate to a Pro-Life organization after watching this ad. I wonder how many of these men will curse at the television ad and begin to think less of Pro-Life activists.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2012 - 11:05AM #49
Ed.W

Jan 29, 2012 -- 6:13PM, Mmichael wrote:

I can't think of a better way to turn Pro-Life leaning, conservative-leaning, Republican-leaning, sports-loving, football-watching men against the Pro-Life cause than to show them aborted fetuses while they're munching on baby back ribs and enjoying the Super Bowl. I wonder how many of these men will run and get their checkbooks to donate to a Pro-Life organization after watching this ad. I wonder how many of these men will curse at the television ad and begin to think less of Pro-Life activists.

I would think the best way to turn "Pro-Life leaning, conservative-leaning, Republican-leaning, sports-loving, football-watching men against the Pro-Life cause" would be to show them evidence that it is not a child at all.  Unfortunately, you will  be hard-pressed to do that.

www.watchtower.org/e/200906/article_02.h...

Oh, and btw, CBS has paid no fine to the FCC for the halftime show, and the very most recent court ruling finds in favor of CBS:

WikiSource

CBS challenged its fine for the halftime show on the grounds that the broadcast was unintentional and thus exempt from indecency regulation.[13] In July 2008, the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit voided the FCC's fine,[14][15] but in May 2009 the Supreme Court vacated that judgment and sent the case back to the Third Circuit for reconsideration.[16][17] In November 2011, the court ruled that the broadcast was legal under the FCC's then-current policy of allowing "fleeting" indecency on the airwaves, and that it was unfair of the FCC to change the policy retroactively.[18]

So the 3rd circuit court of Appeals has ruled that no indecency occurred, and therefore any parallel that Jackson's indecency is not allowed while pro-life's "indecency" is allowed is spurious.

Secondly, the Supreme Court ruled in January of 1973, that the termination of a fetus is neither indecent nor murder, so on what grounds you are calling a picture of the result of an abortion "indecent" is curious.... if you feel the pictures are "indecent" then maybe you shoud be pro-life.

Have you got anything I can sink my teeth into?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook