Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Some Super Bowl Viewers Will See Ads Showing Bloody Fetuses
3 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2012 - 11:39PM #31
jane2

Jan 14, 2012 -- 11:05PM, karbie wrote:

I didn't see why there was such a furor over Ms. Jackson's nipple cover being shown--after all, her actual nipple wasn't exposed. It seemed overill to me, and I'm sure that the sponsors who paid millions to advertise during the Super Bowl were unhappy that their ads were overshadowed by a non-event.

The idea of these ads being shown during the Super Bowl after the the view of a pastie caused such drama  makes no sense.  Those ads shouldn't be shown when young children could watch them.  Considering that not too many doctors will perform late term abortions unless the mother's life is in dangerand/or the fetus has died, it's seems unlikely that these are recent films.

I hope it backfires very badly. It would be nice if the ultra right Republicans were as interested in helping with things like prenatal care and help for the mother and child after birth instead of just trying to out-law abortion.It's difficult enough to consider the words "politician" and "Morals" in the same sentence.

Reaction will be interesting or maybe not. The ads may well backfire. Many of us are weary of the evangelical right. Most of us are pro-choice whatever our own private conciences say to us for ourselves.

I don't have the energy I had five years ago, but if I did I would volunteer to sell at a high-end resale shop that helps pregnant women and young mothers who need help. I could sell snow to eskimos--and have a track record that backs that up.

Let us concentrate on the born of all ages who need our help.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2012 - 1:32PM #32
Ken

I didn't see why there was such a furor over Ms. Jackson's nipple cover being shown--after all, her actual nipple wasn't exposed.

I don't understand it either. A breast isn't officially naked unless you can see the nipple.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2012 - 6:11PM #33
Erey

I didn't see why there was such a furor over Ms. Jackson's nipple cover being shown--after all, her actual nipple wasn't exposed. It seemed overill to me, and I'm sure that the sponsors who paid millions to advertise during the Super Bowl were unhappy that their ads were overshadowed by a non-event.

The idea of these ads being shown during the Super Bowl after the the view of a pastie caused such drama  makes no sense.  Those ads shouldn't be shown when young children could watch them.  Considering that not too many doctors will perform late term abortions unless the mother's life is in dangerand/or the fetus has died, it's seems unlikely that these are recent films.

I hope it backfires very badly. It would be nice if the ultra right Republicans were as interested in helping with things like prenatal care and help for the mother and child after birth instead of just trying to out-law abortion.It's difficult enough to consider the words "politician" and "Morals" in the same sentence.

Karbie for me what was offensive about that nipple gate was her shirt was ripped from her in a very aggressive sexual manner as to simulate molestation or rape. 

Had it been a wardrobe malfunction- a "whoops I can't get that darn thing to stay up" then it would have been humorous but not a big deal. 

It clearly was not a wardrobe malfunction because it is crazy to think people run around with spangly nipple pasties covers over thier nips just in case.  It was a practised and rehersed move that simulated an aggressive, unwelcome, sexual play. 

I don't like normalizing that kind of aggresive sexual activity on television.  I find it offensive.

Now is it more or less offensive than bloody fetuses, probably less offensive.  But neither of those two things have a place during the Super Bowl. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2012 - 8:09PM #34
jane2

Good grief, the Janet Jackson  wardrobe "misfunction" was years ago. Who cares about it now??

And it has little to do with forcing NBC to show bloody fetuses.

One has little to do with the other.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2012 - 8:10PM #35
mountain_man

Jan 15, 2012 -- 1:32PM, Ken wrote:

I don't understand it either. A breast isn't officially naked unless you can see the nipple.

And CBS got fined half a million for that little bit. I can't imagine what the fine would have been in it were Dolly Parton. Surprised

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2012 - 1:29PM #36
karbie

If it had been Dolly Parton she would never have agreed to it. When she was a guest on Johnny Carson's  Tonight show, he said to her wistfully that he'd give a year's salary just for a peek...and her answer was "A year's worth of your salary?".

There was some complaint over the act that caused her pasty to be exposed, but the fine was supposedly for showing her nipple cover. Since it happened during a Superbowl that showed a lot of violence between opposing teams, they had to place the blame on her "wardrobe malfunction". What I've found interesting is that she was blamed more for the exposure than Justin Timberlake was for causing it over the years. His name hasn't stuck to the incident for his actions at all. Her semi-exposure has been treated as if it was a moral outrage.

I think that any station that does show the bloody fetus remains should be fined and/or have a warning before it is shown to not let your children see it. I guess it's taken a political loophole to finally air something like this on a broadcast channel. Perhaps it should be followed by commercials on contraceptives or as lead-in for a Tea Party candidate so we know who to thank for it.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2012 - 2:14PM #37
mountain_man

Jan 16, 2012 -- 1:29PM, karbie wrote:

If it had been Dolly Parton she would never have agreed to it.

It was a joke. "A joke (or gag) is a phrase or a paragraph with a humorous twist."

I think that any station that does show the bloody fetus remains should be fined and/or have a warning before it is shown to not let your children see it. I guess it's taken a political loophole to finally air something like this on a broadcast channel. Perhaps it should be followed by commercials on contraceptives or as lead-in for a Tea Party candidate so we know who to thank for it.

They can't be fined since they have to show the political ad. What you are proposing would have been covered by the Fairness Doctrine that Regressives are against.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2012 - 2:28PM #38
Erey

Jan 16, 2012 -- 1:29PM, karbie wrote:

If it had been Dolly Parton she would never have agreed to it. When she was a guest on Johnny Carson's  Tonight show, he said to her wistfully that he'd give a year's salary just for a peek...and her answer was "A year's worth of your salary?".

There was some complaint over the act that caused her pasty to be exposed, but the fine was supposedly for showing her nipple cover. Since it happened during a Superbowl that showed a lot of violence between opposing teams, they had to place the blame on her "wardrobe malfunction". What I've found interesting is that she was blamed more for the exposure than Justin Timberlake was for causing it over the years. His name hasn't stuck to the incident for his actions at all. Her semi-exposure has been treated as if it was a moral outrage.

I agree about Dolly Parton, I also agree that Justin Timberlake should have been censured for ripping off a woman's top in an aggressive dance routine.  It is curious that he was not.

I also agree that in regards to bloody fetuses, warnings or even fines are valid places to go.  I would want the opportunity to usher children from the room or just turn the damn TV off if I knew comming up next would be bloody fetuses. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2012 - 3:09PM #39
karbie

Justin Timberlake apologized for the routine going too far the next day when it all hit the fan, and so did Janet Jackson, but the event keeps being brought up by so-called "Moral" groups as if she tore open her own shirt or her nipple-covered breast agressively burst out by itself. Of course, no one mentioned the role the cameras played in going for a closeup. Or maybe that was part of the fine CBS paid for not switching immediately to a different view.

Now really--you can't really expect things like fairness from the Tea Party and their ilk--you'd probably think they should be truthful next.  Truth is what they tell us it is. So we shouldn't need any pesky regulations, laws, or doctrines to insist on actual facts.

I think whichever intermediary who has paid for the ads with the bloody fetuses should be fined.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2012 - 5:17PM #40
Erey

Jan 16, 2012 -- 3:09PM, karbie wrote:

Justin Timberlake apologized for the routine going too far the next day when it all hit the fan, and so did Janet Jackson, but the event keeps being brought up by so-called "Moral" groups as if she tore open her own shirt or her nipple-covered breast agressively burst out by itself. Of course, no one mentioned the role the cameras played in going for a closeup. Or maybe that was part of the fine CBS paid for not switching immediately to a different view.

Now really--you can't really expect things like fairness from the Tea Party and their ilk--you'd probably think they should be truthful next.  Truth is what they tell us it is. So we shouldn't need any pesky regulations, laws, or doctrines to insist on actual facts.

I think whichever intermediary who has paid for the ads with the bloody fetuses should be fined.

Karbie,

alot of people, non tea-party types were put-off by the Janet/Justin routine. I remember working on a PTO project the day after with alot of mothers (none Tparty types) and they were annoyed. I don't know why you are invoking the tea party.  Don't you think most women or even just people wanting a more woman-friendly world are put off by this kind of rape/molestation mimicry?

The only thing I can say regarding why the emphasis on Janet over Justin and pretty much people forgetting about Justin is probably the whole women are more culpable than men meme.  But also, Janet is seen as older, wiser and Justin is seen as younger and therefore less culpable.  It was Janet's nipple.  We expect men to act like idiots but for a woman to join in is less excusable.  Not saying it is fair. 

For me I was never a special fan of Janet or Justin but Janet was always a little more my speed.  I can't name anything Justin has done off the top of my head.  It has been many years and I am "over it" and would if motivated not hesitate to purchase a Janet Jackson tract.  Although to be honest, I doubt I will feel motivated. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook