Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Some Super Bowl Viewers Will See Ads Showing Bloody Fetuses
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 10:37AM #1
TPaine
Due to a loophole in the election laws that requires TV stations to show ads purchaced by candidates within 45 days of an election, viewers in 40 cities will see anti-choice ads that feature graphic pictures of bloody fetuses during the Super Bowl XLVI. These ads are paid for by Randall Terry (founder of Operation Rescue) who is running for President in certain Democratic primaries in order to force NBC affiliates to run the ads. Link

The FCC fined CBS $550,000 for showing the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction" during the Superbowl XXXVIII halftime show although the network had no idea it would happen, yet federal election law mandated that NBC show ads containing disgusting graphical pictures during the Super Bowl when it is probible that many young children will be watching with their parents.
"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 10:42AM #2
farragut

We have little interest in the SuperBowl; this year we'll have none.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 10:57AM #3
costrel

Jan 12, 2012 -- 10:37AM, TPaine wrote:

The FCC fined CBS $550,000 for showing the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction" during the Superbowl XXXVIII halftime show although the network had no idea it would happen, yet federal election law mandated that NBC show ads containing disgusting graphical pictures during the Super Bowl when it is probible that many young children will be watching with their parents.

This is not at all surprising if one agrees with those culture critics who maintain that Americans are much more concerned with children being exposed to sexually-explicit images than they are with children being exposed to violent images. In addition, those who are pro-life probably generally would identify Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" as being immoral in value and identify graphic photos of dead fetuses as being moral in value. From that perspective, the former (the "wardrobe malfunction") serves an immoral end, while the latter (the dead fetuses) serves a moral end. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 12:01PM #4
mountain_man

Jan 12, 2012 -- 10:42AM, farragut wrote:

Most Americans have no interest in the Stuporbowl. The ad just shows how psychotic the anti choice camp can get.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 12:03PM #5
Erey

Wow, I don't watch the Superbowl, even when I go to superbowl parties.  I would not appreciate something like this, not at all.

I did not appreciate Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" either.  But between a bloody fetus and a sparkly nipple pastie probably the bloody fetus is more traumatic. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 1:37PM #6
mainecaptain

There is no morality for the fanatic, and showing bloody fetuses is immoral. but then violence is not against morality in the minds of that sort either.

Be nice if they cared for fully form living people rather then a few cells.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 3:07PM #7
TemplarS

Well, I watch the Super Bowl, but generally don't pay much attention to the ads.  I don't have young kids either.

In any case, my suspicion is that if this group goes ahead with these ads, it will backfire spectacularly.

Polls show Americans about evenly divided on abortion, but the great majority hold that abortion should be neither legal nor illegal in all cases.  In other words, these are moderates willing to think about the nuances of the question, not ideologues and not the sort who would respond positively to this.  But these are the people making up the great majority of the electorate; and one can imagine the Republican candidates who are left by that time being forced to respond to the question: "What do you think of that ad?"  The answer which would appeal to their party's extremists is not the answer which would appeal to 80% of the electorate.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 3:12PM #8
Yavanna

Jan 12, 2012 -- 12:01PM, mountain_man wrote:

Jan 12, 2012 -- 10:42AM, farragut wrote:

Most Americans have no interest in the Stuporbowl. The ad just shows how psychotic the anti choice camp can get.

"Most" meaning 150 million out of 250 million. It's not a small event.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 4:29PM #9
Girlchristian
I always watch the Superbowl and this year it's even cooler because it's in my home town. I'm pro-life with exceptions although I don't vote on that issue because Roe v Wade will not be repealed. I don't support these types of ads anywhere--commercials, sidewalks, abortion clinics, etc...and believe they'll backfire on the group. For the record, I also didn't care about Janet's 'wardrobe malfunction.'
"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 5:20PM #10
mountain_man

Jan 12, 2012 -- 3:12PM, Yavanna wrote:

"Most" meaning 150 million out of 250 million. It's not a small event.

You mean 150 million out of 312,842,035. Then cut that 150 million in half since that figure includes the international viewers too. That makes it an event that really adds nothing to society.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook