Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
3 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2011 - 11:12PM #1
jane2

From AP Yahoo news :

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi voters Tuesday defeated a ballot initiative that would've declared life begins at conception, a proposal that supporters sought in the Bible Belt state as a way to prompt a legal challenge to abortion rights nationwide.

The so-called "personhood" initiative was rejected by more than 55 percent of voters, falling far short of the threshold needed for it to be enacted. If it had passed, it was virtually assured of drawing legal challenges because it conflicts with the Supreme Court's 1973 Roe v. Wade decision that established a legal right to abortion. Supporters of the initiative wanted to provoke a lawsuit to challenge the landmark ruling

And from the NYTonline, a whew from Ohio:

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A year after Republicans swept legislatures across the country, voters in Ohio delivered their verdict on a centerpiece of the conservative legislative agenda, striking down a law that restricted public workers’ rights to bargain collectively

Edit: added links.  HTZ requires links for new threads.

Moderated by Stardove on Nov 09, 2011 - 01:41PM
discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2011 - 11:51PM #2
Wanderingal

Of course that "personhood" initiative was rejected. It was stupid.

And ANTI-Women.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 12:14AM #3
mainecaptain

Nov 8, 2011 -- 11:51PM, Wanderingal wrote:

And ANTI-Women.

Not so much of course my friend, But thankfully it was rejected.

Remember there are an awful lot of anti women people out there, as well as .....well....you know ;)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 12:18AM #4
mountain_man

Nov 8, 2011 -- 11:12PM, jane2 wrote:

...The so-called "personhood" initiative was rejected by more than 55 percent of voters....

It's scary that almost 45% of the voters were willing to force their religious beliefs on others.

And from the NYTonline, a whew from Ohio:

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A year after Republicans swept legislatures across the country, voters in Ohio delivered their verdict on a centerpiece of the conservative legislative agenda, striking down a law that restricted public workers’ rights to bargain collectively

Even after the extremely dishonest Republicans in that state went around lying to voters on how to vote. It seems the Republicans have a hard time understanding the term "democracy."

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 12:23AM #5
CharikIeia

The so-called "personhood" initiative was rejected ...

Personhood... isn't that what corporations have?

Maybe it's time for another ballot...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 12:25AM #6
Bezant

????????????????

How do you define a person?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 12:41AM #7
mountain_man

Nov 9, 2011 -- 12:25AM, Bezant wrote:

How do you define a person?

The same way the U.S. Constitution does:

Amendment 14 - Citizenship Rights. Ratified 7/9/1868.

1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.....

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 12:56AM #8
Wanderingal

Nov 9, 2011 -- 12:14AM, mainecaptain wrote:

Nov 8, 2011 -- 11:51PM, Wanderingal wrote:

And ANTI-Women.

Not so much of course my friend, But thankfully it was rejected.

Remember there are an awful lot of anti women people out there, as well as .....well....you know ;)

MaineC--hi.

You know--it would scare me to think that anyone woukd elevate a single cell into importance above that of a living fully-functioning adult woman--

--except that I was raised as a very traditional Catholic and we were taught that even if the mother was dying and only an  abortion would save her--"God wanted BOTH the mother and the fetus to die."

I never bought that but hearing it over and over again--how it devalued women--was pretty horrifying--especially when the priests saying it had that glint of fanaticsm in their eyes as they talked about the death of the mother and the fetus.

Just the way the supporters of this initiative do.

Anti-women fanaticsm is an ugly ugly thing to behold.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 9:54AM #9
TemplarS

Also these:

"The state senator who wrote Arizona's controversial immigration law conceded defeat Tuesday night in a recall election widely seen as a referendum on tough measures against illegal immigrants."

"Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear easily turned back a challenge from Republican David Williams, president of the state Senate, to win a second term ."  This in a generally red state.

The takeaway from all of this is that as unhappy as people seem to be with the state of the economy, they are unwilling to take things to the ideological extremes proposed by many in the current Republican party leadership, or the leading GOP presidential candidates. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 10:11AM #10
teilhard

Yes, they do ... But NOT from The Moment of their Conception, apparently ...

Interesting thought, though, eh ... ???  Should a Corporate Board or Executive that "kills" a Corporation -- including a Competing Corporation -- be indicted for MURDER ... ???

Nov 9, 2011 -- 12:23AM, CharikIeia wrote:

The so-called "personhood" initiative was rejected ...

Personhood... isn't that what corporations have?

Maybe it's time for another ballot...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook