Switch to Forum Live View Wendy Simonds "Abortion at Work"
3 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2011 - 9:57PM #1
Sarah5775
I am curious to see how pro-life and pro-choice debators will reacte to these quotes from a book called Abortion at Work: Ideology and Practice in a Feminist Clinic by Wendy Simonds. ( New Brunswich, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 1996) Simonds is a pro-choice writer who spent a year observing in an abortion clinic and she interviews many people on its staff. One chapter deals with how the clinic deals with anti-abortion protestors, another about how they counsel women, and one deals with how clinic workers reacte to seening the bodies of aborted fetuses/babies. 

I wanted to share some quotes and see what people thought.

"I didn't know if I could handle looking at the tissue; that was the big thing. It's just - I mean it looks like a baby. It looks like a baby. And especially if you get one that comes out that's not piecemeal. And, you know, I saw this one, and it had its fingers in its mouth...It makes me really sad that this has to happen, you know, but it doesn't change my mind, it's just hard."

Clinic worker "Janice" 

Abortion clinic worker "Celia" discusses late term abortion. Her clinic injects Digoxin into the hearts of the fetuses/babies before dismembering them:

"It's going to be weird now because you're going to see the sono. You're going to see the heart beating - little hearts, you know- and then, all of a sudden, you're going to put this cardiac medicine in it to make it stop- to kill it. I won't kill it, the doctor will kill it ...It's just a harder reality check of what we're doing...It's like rationally I know this is going to be much better because, God, you know, if it can make a twenty-three-week skull come out easier, you know bless this digoxin."

"I hate it when people put it together to look like a baby. I hate that."

Clinic worker "Risa" on handling dismembered remains from abortions

Clinic worker "Nell" on seeing aborted babies:

"Because it looks like a baby. That's what it looks like to me. You've never seen anything else that looks like that. The only other thing you've ever seen is a baby...You can see a face and hands and ears and eyes and, you know...feet and toes...It bothered me really bad the first time..."

"Sterile room is so fast-paced. And I'm a person who's really into learning....And so, okay, now I've got the technical down, so now I can, like, get lax in my thought processes. You know, it becomes more robotic. And I think that what happened one day [was] I stepped back inside of myself, and I was just like, "Oh my God, what are you doing? When I saw the hair..."

"Seeing the fetal tissue and seeing the blood and cleaning up can be kind of unsettling, especially seeing larger fetal tissue. At nine weeks...you start seeing fetal parts. And by the second trimester, it's, you know, it's a baby, and by the eighteenth week it's definitely a baby. And by, like, you know, twenty-two weeks you go in and you watch someone do a sonogram, and you're like, "Oh my." There it is just moving, moving around. And it's really, really hard because I always thought of abortion in terms of just the woman, just her body... And I never even allowed myself to think, you know, isn't it a shame that there's something alive inside her that's not going to be alive anymore if she has an abortion.

I'll say what I think of the quotes in my next post. I am just curious first to see what people here make of them. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2011 - 2:18AM #2
Mmichael

Aug 31, 2011 -- 9:57PM, Sarah5775 wrote:

I am curious to see how pro-life and pro-choice debators will reacte to these quotes from a book called Abortion at Work: Ideology and Practice in a Feminist Clinic by Wendy Simonds. ( New Brunswich, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 1996) Simonds is a pro-choice writer who spent a year observing in an abortion clinic and she interviews many people on its staff. One chapter deals with how the clinic deals with anti-abortion protestors, another about how they counsel women, and one deals with how clinic workers reacte to seening the bodies of aborted fetuses/babies. 

I wanted to share some quotes and see what people thought.

"I didn't know if I could handle looking at the tissue; that was the big thing. It's just - I mean it looks like a baby. It looks like a baby. And especially if you get one that comes out that's not piecemeal. And, you know, I saw this one, and it had its fingers in its mouth...It makes me really sad that this has to happen, you know, but it doesn't change my mind, it's just hard."

Clinic worker "Janice" 

Abortion clinic worker "Celia" discusses late term abortion. Her clinic injects Digoxin into the hearts of the fetuses/babies before dismembering them:

"It's going to be weird now because you're going to see the sono. You're going to see the heart beating - little hearts, you know- and then, all of a sudden, you're going to put this cardiac medicine in it to make it stop- to kill it. I won't kill it, the doctor will kill it ...It's just a harder reality check of what we're doing...It's like rationally I know this is going to be much better because, God, you know, if it can make a twenty-three-week skull come out easier, you know bless this digoxin."

"I hate it when people put it together to look like a baby. I hate that."

Clinic worker "Risa" on handling dismembered remains from abortions

Clinic worker "Nell" on seeing aborted babies:

"Because it looks like a baby. That's what it looks like to me. You've never seen anything else that looks like that. The only other thing you've ever seen is a baby...You can see a face and hands and ears and eyes and, you know...feet and toes...It bothered me really bad the first time..."

"Sterile room is so fast-paced. And I'm a person who's really into learning....And so, okay, now I've got the technical down, so now I can, like, get lax in my thought processes. You know, it becomes more robotic. And I think that what happened one day [was] I stepped back inside of myself, and I was just like, "Oh my God, what are you doing? When I saw the hair..."

"Seeing the fetal tissue and seeing the blood and cleaning up can be kind of unsettling, especially seeing larger fetal tissue. At nine weeks...you start seeing fetal parts. And by the second trimester, it's, you know, it's a baby, and by the eighteenth week it's definitely a baby. And by, like, you know, twenty-two weeks you go in and you watch someone do a sonogram, and you're like, "Oh my." There it is just moving, moving around. And it's really, really hard because I always thought of abortion in terms of just the woman, just her body... And I never even allowed myself to think, you know, isn't it a shame that there's something alive inside her that's not going to be alive anymore if she has an abortion.

I'll say what I think of the quotes in my next post. I am just curious first to see what people here make of them. 

I'm Pro-Choice, but I would probably say to these clinic workers, "What did you EXPECT a human fetus to look like? A popped balloon?" Yes, I've read stories (and I can believe them) in which  abortion clinic workers became "Pro-Life Activists" after witnessing abortions. And, yes, I've read stories (and I can believe them) in which "Pro-Life Activists" chose to terminate pregnancies for personal reasons (even after years of holding up posters of aborted fetuses). By the way, as long as abortion is legal, lawmakers should NOT put up obstacles that end up making women wait later and later to terminate a pregnancy. That makes No Sense.  

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook