Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Prostitution in Nevada
7 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2011 - 4:46PM #1
Yavanna
news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_nevada_prostituti...

Harry Reid's off-handed comments have sparked quite a debate in the only state with legalized prostitution. What do you think? Should it be legal state-wide or should it be removed entirely?
The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2011 - 5:00PM #2
mountain_man

The second oldest profession in the world should be legal anyway. If a woman wants to exploit mens desires for money, then that is her business, literally, and no one elses. Making prostitution illegal will not make it go away.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2011 - 5:39PM #3
REteach

My biggest problem with prostitution is that a disproportionate number (not all, of course) of professional sex workers were sexually abused.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2011 - 5:51PM #4
Ebon

Prostitution is never going to go away, let's just take that as read. Nevada could close all the brothels tomorrow and there will still be prostitutes plying their trade in Nevada. So really, the question is whether it should be legal and, at least on some level, regulated or illegal and open to every abuse on the planet.

Of the two, I pick legal for two reasons. Firstly, if a woman (or a guy) makes the decision to sell sex than, absent external pressures, I don't think it's our place to interfere. Sex is legal, even casual sex, and I don't think it should be illegal simply because money changes hands. Secondly, if it's legal, it can be regulated. If it's legal, we can ensure that no-one is being held against their will, demand rubbers and STI checks and so on.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2011 - 8:15PM #5
MMarcoe

Mar 6, 2011 -- 5:00PM, mountain_man wrote:

The second oldest profession in the world should be legal anyway. If a woman wants to exploit mens desires for money, then that is her business, literally, and no one elses. Making prostitution illegal will not make it go away.

Well, then let's legalize murder. It's never going to go away, so let's make it safe. Let's set up special locations where people can murder each other, and we can tax and regulate it. How about that?

As for prostitution, no, it's not just her business. It's her client's business too, and if her client has a significant other or a family, then it's their business as well.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is the original nothingness of the universe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2011 - 8:17PM #6
mountain_man

Mar 6, 2011 -- 8:15PM, MMarcoe wrote:

Well, then let's legalize murder.....

Arguments from the extreme never work. Murder harms someone, prostutition does not.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2011 - 8:19PM #7
Christianlib

Mar 6, 2011 -- 5:39PM, REteach wrote:

My biggest problem with prostitution is that a disproportionate number (not all, of course) of professional sex workers were sexually abused.  

Absolutely true.  But, how does making criminals out of those women prevent any abuse that occurred earlier in their lives?

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2011 - 8:21PM #8
farragut

I agree, Ebon. You've stated the case well. Harry Reid just wants the Democrat party to be the only whore in town.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2011 - 8:29PM #9
MMarcoe

Mar 6, 2011 -- 8:17PM, mountain_man wrote:

Arguments from the extreme never work. Murder harms someone, prostutition does not.

Of course prostitution harms people. It harms the prostitutes and it harms their clients.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is the original nothingness of the universe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2011 - 9:21PM #10
Fodaoson

Mar 6, 2011 -- 8:19PM, Christianlib wrote:

Mar 6, 2011 -- 5:39PM, REteach wrote:

So the real problem is sex abuse, not prostitution. Some women treat marriage like prostitution;  they marry for money and give sex to keep the  husband  Why else  would twenty year old woman  marry an 80 year old man. High price call girls are seldom abused

Absolutely true.  But, how does making criminals out of those women prevent any abuse that occurred earlier in their lives?

Mar 6, 2011 -- 8:29PM, MMarcoe wrote:

Mar 6, 2011 -- 8:17PM, mountain_man wrote:

Of course prostitution harms people. It harms the prostitutes and it harms their clients.

Not always sometimes a woman and client have long time enjoyable relationships.   I know a woman who is a  Executive with a Major corporation  who started as a bar girl, hooking on the  side, worked the concierge in a hotel and then moved to management  trainee  for the hotel chain an is  now a respected Business woman. Few people know of her beginnings I realize she may be the only lone but it still happened so in one case prostitution helped   woman.

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook