Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 5 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View South Dakota's new abortion law
7 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 12:18AM #41
MSaraTemp

Can't answer for MC but in actuality, it is a trifecta.

The Kentucky Derby ....

1- elected politicians
2- those groups/organizations that push & pump the elected politicians to create such laws
[or fight against existing laws]
3- the voters who elect the politicians into office.

There, I won.  Win Place & Show.
Then again I can go for a Triple Crown by adding in ....

The Preakness Stakes .....

4- the big guns contributors who get these  politicians into office in order to sponsor such said bills.
[or seek to undo existing law.]

The Belmont Stakes .....

5- the Think-Tanks who have an agenda for these certain "selected" politicians.

Oh what the heck, let's throw in the Trotters for good measure since we can't leave them out because a horse is a horse of course.

The Saratoga Race Track .....

6- We can't forget the Lobbyists now can we.  [Those who lobby the politicians and we all know how that too goes.]

Well I think that just about covers all the tracks er points in answering your question to MC.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 12:27AM #42
Yavanna

Mar 3, 2011 -- 11:53PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Mar 3, 2011 -- 11:59AM, mountain_man wrote:

Mar 3, 2011 -- 11:11AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Don't forget the other half of the formula -- teaching young men to take responsiblity for their actions,....

By choosing to either continue with the pregnancy or have it ended early IS taking responsibility for their actions. Just because you disapprove of their decision does not mean they are not taking responsibility.

I'm talking about men not knocking a woman up and then running away.

THat's what I disapprove of. Unless you think it's cool for a guy to get laid, get the woman pregnant and then totally disown the deed. If so, you have one sorry-assed view of manhood.

In many cases -- including some I know of personally -- the woman would not have been in the posistion where she felt she had to consider an abortion as an option if the man hadn't just ran away and dissappeared, thereby absolving himself of any responsibility in the matter.

Anyway, that's what I was talking about.

Actually she wouldn't be in that position if she hadn't gotten herself pregnant. I've always loved how the blame goes to the men in these cases.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 1:09AM #43
mountain_man

My solution: every time a male gets a female pregnant that does not want to be pregnant he loses a testicle.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 1:15AM #44
Yavanna

Mar 4, 2011 -- 1:09AM, mountain_man wrote:

My solution: every time a male gets a female pregnant that does not want to be pregnant he loses a testicle.

LOL!

Gawd, MM... you made my day!

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 1:37AM #45
Ebon

Mar 3, 2011 -- 11:14AM, Girlchristian wrote:

If a woman says, "I'm not having sex with you without a condom" the man will find a way to get one or will put the one on that she gives him. My dad always said if you're not mature enough to carry condoms with you and tell a man to use one, then you're not mature enough to have sex.

Ideally, both partners should be carrying rubbers. Better to have too many than too few.

Mar 3, 2011 -- 1:05PM, IreneAdler wrote:

Instead of requiring counseling for the woman seeking an abortion, how about counseling for all those women who carry to term? I would think they would be in greater need of support as they are opting to raise a child – a big, long-term commitment not to be taken lightly.

Post-partum depression isn't uncommon either. Good idea actually.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 6:37AM #46
costrel

Mar 3, 2011 -- 9:02PM, REteach wrote:

Mar 3, 2011 -- 6:23PM, costrel wrote:

The Catholics generally don't accept birth control

Actually, about 85% of Catholics ignore official teaching on birth control.  I got married as a college student in SD and got my contraception from the local planned parenthood. 

And now South Dakotans can easily buy condoms at Wal-Mart in the larger communities (and at truck stops along the Interstate). That doesn't mean that they approve of the use of condoms and other forms of birth control.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 7:35AM #47
mytmouse57

Mar 4, 2011 -- 1:09AM, mountain_man wrote:

LOL, now there's some motivational incentive!

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 7:41AM #48
mytmouse57

Mar 4, 2011 -- 12:27AM, Yavanna wrote:

Mar 3, 2011 -- 11:59AM, mountain_man wrote:

Mar 3, 2011 -- 11:11AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Don't forget the other half of the formula -- teaching young men to take responsiblity for their actions,....

By choosing to either continue with the pregnancy or have it ended early IS taking responsibility for their actions. Just because you disapprove of their decision does not mean they are not taking responsibility.

THat's what I disapprove of. Unless you think it's cool for a guy to get laid, get the woman pregnant and then totally disown the deed. If so, you have one sorry-assed view of manhood.

In many cases -- including some I know of personally -- the woman would not have been in the posistion where she felt she had to consider an abortion as an option if the man hadn't just ran away and dissappeared, thereby absolving himself of any responsibility in the matter.

Anyway, that's what I was talking about.

Actually she wouldn't be in that position if she hadn't gotten herself pregnant. I've always loved how the blame goes to the men in these cases.

I'm not really talking about "blame" for getting pregnant. That can happen, regardless of precautions.

I know children who were concieved even with the use of condoms, the pill, or in one case -- both. Plus, it might be unsual, but not unheard of, for a woman to get pregnant and carry a child to term even after she's had her tubes tied.

I myself was concived after my father had gotten a vasectomy. Again, rare, but not unheard of.

No, my point is men who, after the fact -- after a pregnancy has occoured, regardless of how -- simply drop all responsibility and take off. That can and has put women in the posistion of considering an abortion, whereas they might not have otherwise considered it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 2:07PM #49
Erey

Not to mention men taking off after they have become pregnant.  Also, men can have their lives change.  Often when a woman chooses she chooses to carry the pregnancy to term.  That can mean for the man his life will never be the same.  He will either have to live with the fact that he abandoned his own child or has his wages garnished or will have to raise a child with a woman that he might not share the same values with.  Then the woman might marry another man who will have his influence on the child.

Looking at 85+ percent of unwanted pregnancies arising from the complete lack of BC or the knowingly incorrect usage of BC then I believe we have the makings for a enlightenment campaign to address that very high figure and bring it down.

There will always be accidents even with the the most carefull people, one that sliped past the goalie.  But those are the miniority of unwanted preganancies.  Most unwanted pregnancies are preventable and that is where the focus should be in reducing abortions. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 3:33PM #50
TPaine

Mar 4, 2011 -- 2:07PM, Erey wrote:

Not to mention men taking off after they have become pregnant.  Also, men can have their lives change.  Often when a woman chooses she chooses to carry the pregnancy to term.  That can mean for the man his life will never be the same.  He will either have to live with the fact that he abandoned his own child or has his wages garnished or will have to raise a child with a woman that he might not share the same values with.  Then the woman might marry another man who will have his influence on the child.

Looking at 85+ percent of unwanted pregnancies arising from the complete lack of BC or the knowingly incorrect usage of BC then I believe we have the makings for a enlightenment campaign to address that very high figure and bring it down.

There will always be accidents even with the the most carefull people, one that sliped past the goalie.  But those are the miniority of unwanted preganancies.  Most unwanted pregnancies are preventable and that is where the focus should be in reducing abortions.

Erey, I agree with you. I think is is vitally important to teach safe sex and methods of contraception in schools since there are too many parents who for one reason or another do not explain either to their children. It goes without saying that lowering the number of unwanted pregnancies will lower the number of abortions.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture."-- Thomas Paine: The Crisis No. V (March 21, 1778)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook