Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View South Dakota's new abortion law
4 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2011 - 9:50PM #1
solfeggio
The South Dakota Senate has backed and sent to the governer a bill requiring women to follow various procedures before they can have an abortion:

legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2011/Bill.asp...

tdn.com/news/national/article_a23b45aa-0...

Before having an abortion, a woman must first meet with a doctor who will determine whether or not she has been 'coerced' into deciding she must have an abortion.  Following this, she must set up an appointment at a pregnancy help centre, to have counselling and advice.

After doing this, the woman must sign a consent form and schedule an appointment for the abortion 72 hours later.  But, she can only do this if the people counselling her have determined that her decision to end the pregnancy is voluntary and informed.

Reading through the various provisions of this bill, it would seem that it infringes upon a woman's rights as stated in the 9th Amendment.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2011 - 9:59PM #2
mountain_man

Mar 2, 2011 -- 9:50PM, solfeggio wrote:

...Reading through the various provisions of this bill, it would seem that it infringes upon a woman's rights as stated in the 9th Amendment.

It certainly does. What right does the government have in setting up a system where someone other than the woman decides if she can have an abortion or not? What is there to stop that person from claiming that every woman has been coerced into an abortion? There are many that actually believe that, and such has been said in these forums. Why people blatantly show such disrespect for women is beyond me.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2011 - 10:05PM #3
jane2

Solf and mm

Tinker, tinker, tinker. I suppose there is the hope that Roe v. Wade will be overturned in a new decision.

Some of us are so weary of this campaign.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2011 - 10:13PM #4
mountain_man

Mar 2, 2011 -- 10:05PM, jane2 wrote:

Tinker, tinker, tinker. I suppose there is the hope that Roe v. Wade will be overturned in a new decision.

I hope not. Women will die.

Some of us are so weary of this campaign.

Protecting the rights of women has never been easy.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2011 - 12:20AM #5
Ebon

Surely any decent docor would already be on the lookout for signs of coercion?

Beyond that, it's just more infantalising women from a political faction that likes to claim they stand for "getting government off your back" (but apparently, not out of your womb).

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2011 - 2:31AM #6
Yavanna

Getting government out of our lives really means establishing as much governmental control over them as possible. Republican conservatives live in opposite world.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2011 - 10:32AM #7
Erey

WEll clearly the people of South Dakota are making thier choice.  I will say it sounds like alot of rigamaroo  The 72 hour waiting period I don't have a major problem with baring any medical emergency.  I think they do that here and probably alot of states.  However the pre-test is a bit stupid to make sure you are not being coerced is stupid and I believe they already cover that during the abortion appointment.

I don't like abortion, it is a ugly vile thing.  However I would much rather use my energies to helping unprepared young women NOT get pregnant in the first place.  Over 85% of unwanted pregnancies are due to not using BC or not using it properly.  That is where the focus should be to drive it into awareness to always respect your body and respect yourself and use protection everytime.  I don't want young women having abortions and I don't want them having unwanted children either. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2011 - 11:11AM #8
mytmouse57

Mar 3, 2011 -- 10:32AM, Erey wrote:

WEll clearly the people of South Dakota are making thier choice.  I will say it sounds like alot of rigamaroo  The 72 hour waiting period I don't have a major problem with baring any medical emergency.  I think they do that here and probably alot of states.  However the pre-test is a bit stupid to make sure you are not being coerced is stupid and I believe they already cover that during the abortion appointment.

I don't like abortion, it is a ugly vile thing.  However I would much rather use my energies to helping unprepared young women NOT get pregnant in the first place.  Over 85% of unwanted pregnancies are due to not using BC or not using it properly.  That is where the focus should be to drive it into awareness to always respect your body and respect yourself and use protection everytime.  I don't want young women having abortions and I don't want them having unwanted children either. 

Don't forget the other half of the formula -- teaching young men to take responsiblity for their actions, instead of practicing "shoot and scoot," or "fire and forget," so to speak. A good number of abortions wouldn't happen if men didn't put women in the posistion of having to make that choice by knocking them up and then running away.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2011 - 11:14AM #9
Girlchristian

Mar 3, 2011 -- 11:11AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Mar 3, 2011 -- 10:32AM, Erey wrote:

Don't forget the other half of the formula -- teaching young men to take responsiblity for their actions, instead of practicing "shoot and scoot," or "fire and forget," so to speak. A good number of abortions wouldn't happen if men didn't put women in the posistion of having to make that choice by knocking them up and then running away.

Very true. Although at the end of the day, women have the power when it comes to sex and no woman should be choosing to have sex without protection unless she's attempting to get pregnant. If a woman says, "I'm not having sex with you without a condom" the man will find a way to get one or will put the one on that she gives him. My dad always said if you're not mature enough to carry condoms with you and tell a man to use one, then you're not mature enough to have sex.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2011 - 11:59AM #10
mountain_man

Mar 3, 2011 -- 11:11AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Don't forget the other half of the formula -- teaching young men to take responsiblity for their actions,....

By choosing to either continue with the pregnancy or have it ended early IS taking responsibility for their actions. Just because you disapprove of their decision does not mean they are not taking responsibility.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook