Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Proposed Georgia Law Would Make Abortion The Legal Equivalent Of Murder
3 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 12:45AM #1
TPaine

They do this every session in the state legislature here in Georgia.  Someone introduces a bill that would make abortion a criminal act. And,  yes, this year is no exception. This year's legislation was introduced  by  House Republican Bobby Franklin ( [ the same guy ]who wants rape  victims to be called "accusers"). Franklin  is one of the more, ahem,  colorful members of the legislature, bless his heart. According to him,  SCOTUS had no right to rule on abortion and thus GA can do whatever it  damned well pleases. Oh, and you'd better be able to prove your  miscarriage was natural or face felony charges.

Read the article Here

"When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am a friend of its happiness: When these things can be said, then may the country boast its constitution and its government." -- Thomas Paine: The Rights Of Man (1791)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 12:48AM #2
Roodog

That will not pass Constitutional muster with today's courts.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 1:08AM #3
mountain_man

Feb 23, 2011 -- 12:48AM, Roodog wrote:

You mean that with the courts, and the Supreme Court, packed with Conservative activist judges that will toe the party line of criminalizing abortion that this WILL pass "muster."

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 1:27AM #4
Roodog

Feb 23, 2011 -- 1:08AM, mountain_man wrote:

Feb 23, 2011 -- 12:48AM, Roodog wrote:

You mean that with the courts, and the Supreme Court, packed with Conservative activist judges that will toe the party line of criminalizing abortion that this WILL pass "muster."

I am not aware that the courts have been so alligned.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 6:54AM #5
Ebon

Feb 23, 2011 -- 1:27AM, Roodog wrote:

The SCOTUS has. The lower courts are still restrained by precedents etablished earlier by a saner SCOTUS.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 8:34AM #6
LeahOne

Tell me about it:  while being half-carried into the clinic to get the D+C after our miscarriage, didn't some old (female dog) "protestor" whine at me about 'killing your baby'.  My 6' plus military husband was barely strong enough to keep me from getting to her.....  It had taken us umpteen attempts and the latest medical technologies to get me pregnant.

These people in Georgia are EVIL.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 8:38AM #7
Iwantamotto

I want to see abortion viewed as murder as soon as we label executions, eating, killing your video game character, and war "murder".  I want to see the pro-lifers put their money where their mouths are when it comes to preserving life.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 10:53AM #8
mountain_man

Feb 23, 2011 -- 1:27AM, Roodog wrote:

Those that pay attention to what's going on in the world are aware of that.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 11:03AM #9
farragut

Unfortunately, for this vicious bill to get reviewed by the Supreme Court, someone will first have to be victimized by it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2011 - 1:50AM #10
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Conservative, Libertarian, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement