3 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2011 - 9:01PM #1
Karma_yeshe_dorje
I just read this in the local rag.

«A Maryland study suggested that a death sentence - with all the trials, appeals and incarceration that it entailed - cost the state $US3 million, and more if the prisoner failed to be executed, whereas a life sentence cost $US1 million. An Indiana study put the cost differential as high as 10 times»

www.canberratimes.com.au/news/world/worl...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2011 - 1:08AM #2
karbie

I actually prefer sentences of life without possibility of parole because they give technology that much more time to find out if someone had been unjustly found guilty. Or consecutive sentences in multiple killings.If someone knows they can get the death penalty, it removes the incentive to keep a victim alive. the mere fact that the accused chose not to kill should be a major reason to spare their life as well.

One problem that stands out to me is when the DA's get all upset because the person on trial doesn't show a lot of remorse. Um...if they are pleading Not Guilty...then you are asking the defendant to feel guilty about a crime they didn't commit. They could address the jury and say how sorry they are that such a horrible thing happened and you hope the real criminal is found.

it's like Henry VIII--he could mourn not having a friend around whose head he ordered cut off and miss them later. one of the problems with ruling by Divine Right--God may have given you the kingdom to rule and therefore all of his thoughts must be okay with God. he just wasn't able to stick their heads back on once he'd stopped being angry.

neither can we. so we might as well let them go on breathing.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 5:53PM #3
anidominus

Feb 11, 2011 -- 9:01PM, Karma_yeshe_dorje wrote:

I just read this in the local rag.

«A Maryland study suggested that a death sentence - with all the trials, appeals and incarceration that it entailed - cost the state $US3 million, and more if the prisoner failed to be executed, whereas a life sentence cost $US1 million. An Indiana study put the cost differential as high as 10 times»

www.canberratimes.com.au/news/world/worl...

Executing a person only cost us the expense of the rope, electricity, gun, bullet, or whatever else we decide to kill the person with.  All other expensense are arbitrary and could be applied to life in prison cases if we wanted to.

As it relates to giving people more time to find evidnece that may free a person sitting in jail for life, chances are, after 15 years it will never materialize.  In addition, most people are looking at people on death row for evidnce they are not guilty so people sitting in jail for life are probably getting the shaft.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 9:43PM #4
Karma_yeshe_dorje

It is the culture of blame, that is costly!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook