Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Are dogs smarter than cats?
4 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2010 - 6:21PM #21
Christianlib

They're all smarter than Palin supporters.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2010 - 10:27PM #22
Erey

I am going to go with dogs are smarter than cats in how we traditionaly qualify intelligence.Afterall, who ever heard of a  service cat?  But there might be ways you can rank intelligence that might put the cats on top of the dogs?  If you could do that it would be ways that are not very usefull to humans.  Dogs are much more usefull to humans than cats, generally speaking. 

I don't think that cat owners are smarter than dog owners or vice a versa.  I think simply people have certain lifestyles that lend themselves with a tendancy more for one or the other.  For me it is a matter of allergies.  Other people can't handle the demands of a dog. I think dog ownership is more demanding than cat ownership.  Cats seem pretty easy to take care of.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2010 - 2:11AM #23
Yavanna

Dec 5, 2010 -- 10:27PM, Erey wrote:

I am going to go with dogs are smarter than cats in how we traditionaly qualify intelligence.Afterall, who ever heard of a  service cat?  But there might be ways you can rank intelligence that might put the cats on top of the dogs?  If you could do that it would be ways that are not very usefull to humans.  Dogs are much more usefull to humans than cats, generally speaking. 

I don't think that cat owners are smarter than dog owners or vice a versa.  I think simply people have certain lifestyles that lend themselves with a tendancy more for one or the other.  For me it is a matter of allergies.  Other people can't handle the demands of a dog. I think dog ownership is more demanding than cat ownership.  Cats seem pretty easy to take care of.

They're not.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2010 - 10:00AM #24
TemplarS

After a long life with both species-

It depends on the individual, but I can honestly say that in general my dogs have been smarter.

I've had two brilliant dogs, three smart dogs, and one absolutely dumb dog.

I've had one very smart cat, one average cat, one dummy, and one who is hopelessly stupid (this is the cat my neighbor got us, when we mentioned to him we had mice- turned out the cat not only failed to deal with the mice, but was actually afraid of them).

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2010 - 10:12PM #25
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2011 - 12:12AM #26
Holly3278
As others have said, cats and dogs have different types of intelligence.  Just because dogs are more sociable doesn't mean they are somehow more intelligent than cats.

That said, I favor cats so they're automatically more intelligent to me regardless of whether or not that is scientifically true. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook