Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
4 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2010 - 10:26AM #1
Ironhold

link

A known problem among the barber community is that many African-Americans have thicker, curlier hair than those of other races, meaning that many barbers have difficulty giving them a proper haircut.

When one barber who has had difficulty dealing with such hair found an African-American walking into his shop for a haircut, he honestly explained the situation: he had no idea why, but he typically did a poor job of cutting such hair.

Rather than waiting for an explanation, the customer walked out and wrote a letter to the editor accusing the guy of being racist.

*waits for Obama to go off half-cocked again*

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2010 - 10:27AM #2
Christianlib

Well, since you seem to have gone off "quarter-cocked" on this.  Obama will STILL be ahead of you.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2010 - 10:34AM #3
Nepenthe

From your article

The story begins Oct. 5, when Fisher, a physician from Taos, N.M., was visiting Bellows Falls, a village of about 3,500 residents along the Connecticut River, and walked up the steps into Aldrich's storefront barber shop.

Aldrich was playing cards with a friend, and Fisher asked if the barber was in. Aldrich said no, and Fisher went on his way. Later, walking past, Fisher saw through the front window that the man who'd told him the barber was out was cutting the hair of a white customer.

You really don't see how the physician might have thought that something racial was going on?  I mean, really really?  I even bolded the parts to make it easier to identify.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2010 - 10:55AM #4
mytmouse57

Well, this is sure to go over like a fart in church.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2010 - 11:09AM #5
TPaine

Nov 10, 2010 -- 10:26AM, Ironhold wrote:

link

A known problem among the barber community is that many African-Americans have thicker, curlier hair than those of other races, meaning that many barbers have difficulty giving them a proper haircut.

When one barber who has had difficulty dealing with such hair found an African-American walking into his shop for a haircut, he honestly explained the situation: he had no idea why, but he typically did a poor job of cutting such hair.

Rather than waiting for an explanation, the customer walked out and wrote a letter to the editor accusing the guy of being racist.

*waits for Obama to go off half-cocked again*

Since it was obvious that you didn't tell the story as it was described in your link, I wonder what your motive was. The barber (Mike Aldrich) never told Dr. Fisher about having difficulty cutting black people's hair. He was playing cards and when Dr. Fisher asked him if the barber was in he said, "No." Then awhile later Dr. Fisher walked by the shop and saw Mr. Aldrich cutting a white person's hair, he got caught lying about the barber not being there.

I'm not really sure why you started this thread. Did you do it just so you could have an excuse to make a snide remark about President Obama?

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2010 - 7:06PM #6
Ironhold

Nov 10, 2010 -- 11:09AM, TPaine wrote:

Since it was obvious that you didn't tell the story as it was described in your link, I wonder what your motive was. The barber (Mike Aldrich) never told Dr. Fisher about having difficulty cutting black people's hair. He was playing cards and when Dr. Fisher asked him if the barber was in he said, "No." Then awhile later Dr. Fisher walked by the shop and saw Mr. Aldrich cutting a white person's hair, he got caught lying about the barber not being there.

I'm not really sure why you started this thread. Did you do it just so you could have an excuse to make a snide remark about President Obama?

My comment was a nod back to the Gates Arrest Incident, wherein - like this situation - a party feeling slighted because of a white person's actions led to a large quantity of unneeded wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I'm personally of the opinion that a lot of the racism, sexism, and other -isms people complain about on a daily basis just don't exist; people should stop to ask questions before getting all up in arms.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2010 - 9:39PM #7
Iwantamotto

But it does smack of racism when you serve one type of customer but not another.  The barber was an idiot for not putting up a "closed for lunch" sign and hiding in the back for an hour or so.  That'd he'd cut hair at all right after dismissing a potential customer just proves how dumb he is.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2010 - 11:55AM #8
TPaine

Nov 10, 2010 -- 7:06PM, Ironhold wrote:

Nov 10, 2010 -- 11:09AM, TPaine wrote:

My comment was a nod back to the Gates Arrest Incident, wherein - like this situation - a party feeling slighted because of a white person's actions led to a large quantity of unneeded wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I'm personally of the opinion that a lot of the racism, sexism, and other -isms people complain about on a daily basis just don't exist; people should stop to ask questions before getting all up in arms.

I don't see the parallel between this case and the Gates case. In this case the barber did not, as you suggested in the OP, explain to Dr. Fisher that was not skilled in the technique needed to cut a black person's hair. What he did was lie when asked if the barber was there and got caught in the lie. Perhaps Dr. Fisher would have understood an explanation and there wouldn't have been a problem, but by choosing to lie Mr. Aldrich set himself up for an accusation of racism. The two dozen town residents who protested in front of the barber shop must have thought there was racism involved or they wouldn't have been there with a sign reading, "Hate has no home here."

BTW, there was no brawl. Where did that thread title come from?

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2010 - 4:58PM #9
Ironhold

Nov 11, 2010 -- 11:55AM, TPaine wrote:

Alliteration.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2010 - 6:33PM #10
TPaine

Nov 11, 2010 -- 4:58PM, Ironhold wrote:

Nov 11, 2010 -- 11:55AM, TPaine wrote:

Alliteration.

Or distortion depending on one's point of view.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook