Switch to Forum Live View ...and the greatest of these is charity
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 3:23PM #1
solfeggio

A Canadian couple has donated millions of dollars that they won in a lottery to charity:

www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/72447...

www.news.com.au/money/money-matters/cana...

The couple said that they are just plain folks who are grateful for what they have and don't need anymore.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 3:30PM #2
Yavanna

community.beliefnet.com/go/thread/view/5...

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 3:34PM #3
solfeggio

Thanks so much for that info.

Now there are two threads devoted to the generous couple.  People like that deserve all the threads people can dream up, in my opinion.

Moderated by Merope on Nov 20, 2010 - 02:03PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 11:53PM #4
solfeggio

The bottom line is that I was very moved by the generosity of the Canadian couple, and I don't know if I would have been quite as charitable myself, given the chance.  Wink

We buy lottery tickets ourselves (which cost $4.80 for the basic ticket) and have never won a thing!  A couple of weeks ago a couple here in NZ won the big prize of $28 million, though, and as I recall, they said they would both continue working at their jobs.

If by some miracle we came into some money, we'd put aside enough for our two grown children and grandchildren, give a big chunk to the SPCA, and invest the rest.  We have no desire to buy things or go on trips anymore.

As you get older, you worry less about acquiring things and more about just enjoying each day as it comes for its simple pleasures, like watching the little songbirds eat the bread we put out for them, petting our cats, or just admiring the flowering trees in the sunshine. 

That's really what life is all about.

Moderated by Merope on Nov 20, 2010 - 02:07PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2010 - 6:46AM #5
Dostojevsky

If it is the same couple I saw in my newspaper, they are well into years, wife has cancer. What could you possibly do with that money? Once you reach certain age you stop piling worldly goods. The act of giving was very nice of them and would have  done a lot of good, BUT -- the real CHARITY is giving when you can scarcely give. I think there is a story in the Gospels about it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2010 - 8:26PM #6
Hatman

Nov 6, 2010 -- 6:46AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

If it is the same couple I saw in my newspaper, they are well into years, wife has cancer. What could you possibly do with that money? Once you reach certain age you stop piling worldly goods. The act of giving was very nice of them and would have  done a lot of good, BUT -- the real CHARITY is giving when you can scarcely give. I think there is a story in the Gospels about it.

Yep, shore is.  And even while giving is encouraged, there's a WAY to give that's encouraged even more, that is, in secret---giving so that people will see and know of your generosity is just showing off, and is discouraged with the words similar to "that's all the reward he's gonna git"(paraphrased, of course.)

Now, it's certainly their winnings, and they may do exactly as they like with it---and what they chose to do was certainly not only extraordinarily generous, but also incredibly unselfish, an example to us all.

However, the principle "give a man a fish---teach a man to fish" applies here, in that what was given away will soon be done and gone.  If it were myself that had received those winnings, i believe i'd've hired several consultants and started a viable, practical, on-going business that would provide jobs for at least a hundred people, maybe more if the business is wildly successful(or even moderately so); in this way, ongoing sustenance is provided for quite a few, including the families of the employees, to boot.

But that kind of thinking and planning is far above either the desires or the wants of most people; most people just want to spend, spend, spend, mostly on themselves and their families.

Warmest regards-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2010 - 11:47AM #7
rangerken

Altruism is all too rare. When people give of themselves in even small ways it is to be commended. This is more than a small way, and is worthy of both acknowledgement and respect.

Ken

Moderated by Merope on Nov 20, 2010 - 02:07PM
Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2010 - 2:10PM #8
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook