Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What Charities Do You Support and Why?
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 2:16PM #11
Cesmom

Nov 5, 2010 -- 2:09PM, Guessses wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I used too help wherever possible. I have assisted with food banks, I even donated over 7 gallons of blood. I assisted many people (by choice) with 3 Hurricane disasters, and have my Humanitarian Medal for another assisted instance.

Peace, 

Very commendable.  If every person would even have a fraction of that level of community involvement, the world would be a much better place.  I think there are too many people who just don't bother, and others who honestly aren't sure what they can do to help.

**I think there are also a lot of people who use the excuse of being too busy, but since I am one of the busiest people I know, I don't really buy that one too well Surprised

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 2:38PM #12
Pam34

Darn right - people who want to do something, find the time/money to do it, always. I don't care what they SAY  is their excuse, look at what they actually DO.

But there are times  in life, certainly, when immediate needs overrule longer term goals.

We used to give indiscriminately and to anybody, and we got phone calls all the time -several a week. Finally we sat down and made a plan: what causes are important to US? Then we cut off all the phone calls: (this was before you could block such things) we told callers up front that we did not any longer give money to anybody who called us on the phone. Zip, nada.

Word spreads in that world! Within two weeks the calls had essentially stopped.

Our 'favorites' over the years include:

People:

refugee relief: International Rescue Commmittee (regular monthly contribution)

food: Second Harvest/Feed America, Mazon, and our local food bank (regular contributions)

housing: Habitat for Humanity

justice: Southern Poverty Law Center

medical care: Doctors Without Borders (regular monthly contribution)

education: National Center for Science Education, and our colleges

poverty assistance: Heifer International, Seva

planet:

Nature Conservancy

Rainforest Alliance

World Wildlife Fund

And then there are places like our synagogue, and the JNF and the Federation, which get some too.

There are a few others - we give to local causes, like Boy Scouts, and the high school band, but once we placed certain categories above others, it became a lot easier and less stressful, plus we could give those causes MORE, because we weren't handing out ten and twenty dollars to all and sundry.

Several of these, we just set up regular monthly contributions via credit card. Even $5 or $10 a month, all year, makes a difference to charities, because they can count on it coming in.

By the way: there are some excellent resources out there to research charities and

check them out BEFORE you give, make sure your money is going where you want it to go:

CharityNavigator

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 3:10PM #13
Girlchristian

Like Cesmom, I'm fairly busy with a full-time (50 hrs) job, a part-time job, and being in school full-time. This semester I've volunteered less than usual because I typically do volunteer stuff on Saturdays, but right now I have a Saturday class.

Who do I give my money to?

my Church

St. Jude Children Hospital

Local food banks (Midwest and Gleaner's)

Local shelters (Wheeler Missions)

Give blood every two months, getting ready to start a schedule of giving plasma, and am registered as a bone marrow donor (national register).

Still want to do more. One of my favorite volunteer activities takes place through my church in collaboration with a community center in the poorest neighborhood in our city, which also has the highest homicide rate. They have a kid's church there where during the week they serve dinner to the kids and their parents and tutors help them with homework. On Saturdays, they serve lunch and give the kids toys and prizes through games they play. The idea is to be a safe place where the kids can hang out and get help. I haven't been able to help that much this semester because of class three nights/week and on Saturday AM.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 10:25PM #14
Do_unto_others

I support colo-rectal cancer research because my Dad died of it.

I support breast cancer research because I have 3 sisters and a (late) mother and many women friends.

I support progressive Christian Churches of various faiths, my own especially through tithing (of my time, talents and treasure, like my parents not only taught me but modelled the behavior for me).

I support various LGBT charities and other justice and equality causes.

I support food banks because still in this day and age, people go hungry, and battered women's shelters because 2 of my sisters were abused by their husbands.

Good question. Thanks for asking it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 10:38PM #15
loveontheair

Hello,

My church. They support a host of local charities.

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 11:23PM #16
Fodaoson

Paralyzed American Vets

Salvation Army

Adapt Texas

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2010 - 12:21AM #17
jane2

Catholic Relief Services is high on my list because they already are in place in places where disasters occur. They serve the poorest of the poor on many levels.

Hosea Williams Foundation to help feed those without in Atlanta.

Amigos for Christ because they have helped build a thriving center with housing, clinics, schools for children, and training for women to earn a living, all in Nicaragua. My former pastor served there and is on the board.

Local foodbanks and drives.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2010 - 5:44AM #18
appy20

I do small stuff. I am suspcious of organized charities. I was a volunteer for 3 years for a large national charity and saw how the money was used and was less than impressed.  My big thing is serving those in front of me who are in dire need.  God always brings me such people.

I give a lot to the public library I work in. I bought the computer and software for the website.  I bought the printer, paper and toner for all brochures, computer class handouts. I also buy a couple of best sellers every month.  I also buy occasional nonfiction or paperbacks for people.  This year I have spent close to $4000 just on our little library.

I give a lot of no interest loans to desperate people who need car repairs/grocery money.  I finance silly things like flash drive for people.  Literally, I have folks who pay me a dollar a month for an $8 flash drive.  I just look for people with real needs.  There used to be a homeless guy that I arranged a tab for food at a local sandwich shop.  He would get breakfast every morning and I would pay the tab.  Occasionally, I bought him lunch too.He died though.   Now, I do that for others who are working but can't make ends meet.

Give blood every two months, am on the bone marrow register.  Tried to give plasma but my veins collapsed during the procedure and was in agony for days so I am nervous about doing it again.  I do give blood.

I do give to disasters like Haiti, Katrina, etc. I give regularly to the Red Cross, the food bank, the Salvation army.  Always breast cancer. I look for mental health research opportunities to donate to.  That is my heart.  I have a hard time finding needs there but when I do I give the most I can give and will give until it hurts. 

I type resumes for job seekers who can't type.  That isn't money but if they paid someone it would cost them. 

It is just a bunch of small things.  I need to do more as well.  Now, are desperate times and there is a lot of need.  I am falling short.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2010 - 10:14AM #19
Marcion

Bestfriends

SPCA

Defenders of wildlife

Fairfax County animal shelter

St Jude

Salvation Army

Local Parish ( against my will I refuse to support pedophile defense)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2010 - 3:41AM #20
Ebon

RSPCA (British equivelent of the SPCA)

Cat's Protection League

PDSA (People's Dispensary for Sick Animals, provide vet care to the pets of poor people)

Help The Aged (exactly what it sounds like. The elderly are much less politically organised here and politicians tend to use them as a soft target)

UK Donor Service (who I pimp constantly. I've been registered as an organ donor since I turned 18 and regurly gave blood until taking lots of psychoactive medication became necessary)

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook