Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View What Charities Do You Support and Why?
4 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2010 - 9:26PM #41
TemplarS

Nov 5, 2010 -- 1:30PM, Cesmom wrote:

Just curious what charities others support...

The local food kitchen (dollars, and we also make hot meals through our church's support of this group). The local homeless shelter; for several religious celebrations (confirmation, first communion) my two daughters asked people to bring donations to the homeless shelter, instead of more gifts they did not need (that is Christianity in action).

The local animal shelter.  Other local charities, for example, donations to defray medical costs of several children with cancer.

The Red Cross (usually in support of various disasters such as Haiti and Katrina.

Catholic Relief Services, ditto.

World Wildlife Fund, Environmental Defense Fund, Humane Society, ASPCA.

Habitat for Humanity.

Various medical causes.  MDA, breast cancer. True story: there was a breast cancer group soliciting donations outside the local super market. "Wuld you like to donate to breast cancer?" the girl asked. "No", I replied, "I'm against it." I donated a few bucks anyway.

Various cultural groups. NPR.  My local library. Educational causes such as my alma mater.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2010 - 11:21PM #42
rangerken

I support the Salvation Army, Pine Street Inn (feeds homeless in Boston), Doctors Without Borders, Sierra Club, USO, Red Cross, Several organizations that aid wounded servicemen and women.

My wife also supports Catholic Charities and the Little Sisters of the Poor.

We both support Heiffer Intenational and donate  several animals each year (look it up if you don't know thiss one). Last year Mary Clare sent two Llamas and I sent two pigs and a Water Buffalo....Heiffer is a great organization that really helps the rural poor in third world places who want to work hard and improve themselves and their families.

We contribute NOTHING that in any way is controlled by, run by, or subject to supervisions by the UN!!!!!

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2010 - 10:19AM #43
Girlchristian

Nov 8, 2010 -- 3:58PM, Marcion wrote:

In Rome the beggars had a cup and a dog. Smart twist; who can turn down a friendly pooch?

Ha, yeah, that is pretty brilliant. I always give to the beggars who have pets with them even though I know they're probably just scamming me.

There is one beggar near my house that I purposely do not give money to and that's because his sign says, "no car, no home, no food" and yet twice I've seen him get in his car and drive away from his spot.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2010 - 9:32PM #44
Katy70

St Judes Hospital for children

ASPCA

Salvation Army

What ever jars are at the check out at WalMart and other stores. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2010 - 3:00AM #45
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2010 - 2:29PM #46
BreinsAmnesty

In the year of 2011 I am going to join Oxfam America one of the most effective international relief and development organizations in the world. I'm doing something that has a direct and positive impact on the lives of those suffering from poverty hunger and injustice. It's not an ordinary charitable organization that takes the traditional approach to raising funds. Each year, Oxfam America undertakes and monitors hundreds of grassroots programs, working through local partner organizations. They range from Zimbabwe to Guatemala to Cambodia with two common characteristics: innovation and community.

These are characteristics lacking in many international  relief and development efforts. By joining Oxfam America, I can directly help some of the world's poorest people work toward lives free fom poverty,hunger, and injustice.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2011 - 5:51PM #47
faith713

The main two missions I support are:

Chosen People Ministries and WorldVisions.

Instead of buying into the materialism of Christmas and birthdays, I'm going to write on the invitations, "in lieu of presents you can make a donation to WorldVision." This program helps poor families be self-sufficient, for example:

"Give a goat. Goats nourish hungry children and families with healthy milk, cheese, and yogurt. Goats also give a much-needed income boost by providing offspring and extra dairy products for sale at the market.

A healthy dairy goat can give up to 16 cups of milk a day. Goat milk is. . . . read more"

Your gift also comes with a card saying the gift was given in your honor and you can personalize it.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."--John14:6

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-- John 3:16

"We love Him because He first loved us."--1 John 4:9-10

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear ... "
1 John 4:18
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2011 - 8:40AM #48
BrianDickerson

I've been working in the little African country of Sao Tome & Principe for several years; my job took me there initially.  World Vision doesn't have projects there, so I've been working with a local NGO.  Little projects, child education sponsorship, helped a family buy their house, assisted a family where dad had lost his arm and his job in an accident, helped a family start a little kiosk business, that sort of thing.  It's been five years now since we began; incredibly rewarding.

Our first scholar here is a fith grader this fall.  I first met her at school; I was there talking to her principal when I found her attached to my knee.  I picked her up, and she hugged me and kissed me on the cheek, then wiggled like little kids do to get down.  She ran off with my heart that day; she was a first grader then.  Her family and I are now friends and partners in the education of their children plus we help the family along too with some other things.  They're working hard to do well.

We're working with a few families here; 19 kids among them. 

We've got thirty-seven kids in Kenya in the drought area up around Mariakani and Guruguru; we're working through a local church; just trying to help them make their way out of poverty.  It's pretty grim there.  The international aid and government aid programs haven't reached them yet.  Got a call from one of the mothers this week; they hadn't eaten in three days.

We have ties to a couple of families in Djibouti, but no deep connections yet.  It takes awhile for the relationship to grow up, and I'm not there as often as I'd like.

Reading about it isn't the same as meeting folks and realizing they're just like you and your kids.  Then you start to care about them.  After you cry your way through the pain of actually caring, then you get a little grace to do something, perhaps.  Go.  Give.  Help.  Hope.  Learn.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 24, 2011 - 12:09AM #49
Aries0466

Children International

Easter Seals

I'm planning on supporting more later.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing