Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What Charities Do You Support and Why?
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 1:30PM #1
Cesmom

The thread about the couple who gave away their lottery winnings got me to thinking about charities and how many are out there and how you decide who to support.

I'm impressed to see what Warren Buffet has done in this regard...

www.jacktimes.com/money/warren-buffet-ur...

I know a lot of people donate to charity based on something that has personally touched their lives.  I used to work with the Make A Wish Foundation and the stories I heard touched me so much that I just had to start supporting that cause.  I've witnessed enough results of domestic abuse to also want to support that cause.

Just curious what charities others support...

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 1:33PM #2
Christianlib

Indianapolis Food Bank

Free Clothing Ministry

Needles for Love (knits blankets for newborns at the county hospital)

My church

Justice for Janitors

(All of the reasons should be obvious)

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 1:48PM #3
Lonesentinel

Nov 5, 2010 -- 1:33PM, Christianlib wrote:

Indianapolis Food Bank

Free Clothing Ministry

Needles for Love (knits blankets for newborns at the county hospital)

My church

Justice for Janitors

(All of the reasons should be obvious)

Justice for Janitors?  what are they about CL?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 1:53PM #4
Guessses

None! I can't even support me! Haven't been able too in a long, long time!

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"Lord, please, protect me from Your followers!"
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
"If you go looking to place blame, eventually you'll wind up blaming the Gods"
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 1:55PM #5
Cesmom

Nov 5, 2010 -- 1:53PM, Guessses wrote:

That brings to mind another point...supporting charities doesn't necessarily have to be financial.  Helping serve at a soup kitchen, for example, or ringing bells for the Salvation Army, or any other form of volunteer work for a cause qualifies in my mind as supporting a charity.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 1:56PM #6
Christianlib

Lone,

The working conditions and pay for the people who clean our malls and office buildings are abominable.

Due to intentionally being kept to just below 29 hours (officially on the clock) a week, they can be and are classified as "part time."  They, therefore don't get ANY benefits, don't fall under all of the provisions of minimum wage and Wage and Hour laws, and are subject to firings and other  actions without notice, without recourse, and without eligibility for Unemployment Compensation.

The building and mall owners most often use shadow companies and "contractors" who "supply" the maintenance people for the buildings, giving them arms length deniability and insulation.

These are some of the poorest of the working poor.  PLUS, they are often, late in the night, required to use cleaning materials and chemicals that are unsafe, or without proper safety measures being taken.

Justice for Janitors is an organizing and advocacy group, composed mostly of janitors, concerned clergy, and concerned laity in some of the downtown churches.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 1:59PM #7
Lonesentinel

My favorite charity is Jeffco Action Center, but I also have donated to the following charities in the past:

Step 13

Arc Thrift Stores

Denver Rescue Mission

I also donate on occasion, as many do, to Make a Wish Foundation, Jerry's Kids, etc when they have their drives...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 1:59PM #8
Guessses

Nov 5, 2010 -- 1:55PM, Cesmom wrote:

That brings to mind another point...supporting charities doesn't necessarily have to be financial.  Helping serve at a soup kitchen, for example, or ringing bells for the Salvation Army, or any other form of volunteer work for a cause qualifies in my mind as supporting a charity.

Too busy looking for a job and trying to keep petrol in the tank.

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 2:06PM #9
Cesmom

Nov 5, 2010 -- 1:59PM, Guessses wrote:

I'm a strong believer that everyone is capable of making some kind of contribution if they want to.   

I have a full time and a part time job and a paper route.  I have 2 kids in school and sports and one in college.  I have a 5 acres and a house, 2 dogs, 2 horses, and some cats to take care of.  I still manage to volunteer at least 10 hours a week year round.  IMO, those who can't afford to donate, owe it to their communities to try to make a contribution in other ways. 

When I see others around me not bothering to lift a finger, I can't help but imagine what a better place the world could be if every single one of us did just a little something.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 2:09PM #10
Guessses

Nov 5, 2010 -- 2:06PM, Cesmom wrote:

Nov 5, 2010 -- 1:59PM, Guessses wrote:

I'm a strong believer that everyone is capable of making some kind of contribution if they want to.   

I have a full time and a part time job and a paper route.  I have 2 kids in school and sports and one in college.  I have a 5 acres and a house, 2 dogs, 2 horses, and some cats to take care of.  I still manage to volunteer at least 10 hours a week year round.  IMO, those who can't afford to donate, owe it their communities to try to make a contribution in other ways. 

When I see others around me not bothering to lift a finger, I can't help but imagine what a better place the world could be if every single one of us did just a little something.

Don't get me wrong, I used too help wherever possible. I have assisted with food banks, I even donated over 7 gallons of blood. I assisted many people (by choice) with 3 Hurricane disasters, and have my Humanitarian Medal for another assisted instance.

Peace, 

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook