Page 4 of 12  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat
3 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2010 - 3:46PM #31
jane2

Oct 23, 2010 -- 10:02AM, appy20 wrote:

Jane,

The problem with racing is that they race them too young.  Two year olds should not be trained and raced in the manner they are.  Their legs are not fully developed and almost all race horses end up with permanent disabilities.  My vet has a cow if anyone of his clients jumps or runs a horse under saddle under the age of 4.  Many equine vets don't like a horse ridden until they are 4.

There goes the Triple Crown.........................Actually I'm not totally cynical but I grew up with thoroughbred horse racing.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2010 - 7:52PM #32
appy20

Oct 23, 2010 -- 3:46PM, jane2 wrote:

Jane,

The problem with racing is that they race them too young.  Two year olds should not be trained and raced in the manner they are.  Their legs are not fully developed and almost all race horses end up with permanent disabilities.  My vet has a cow if anyone of his clients jumps or runs a horse under saddle under the age of 4.  Many equine vets don't like a horse ridden until they are 4.

There goes the Triple Crown.........................Actually I'm not totally cynical but I grew up with thoroughbred horse racing.

Many horses are crippled by the pursuit of the Triple Crown.  Growing up with horse racing may not mean you know beans about horse physiology.  I have spent over a decade, reading the same texts used in vet schools, to understand the subject. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2010 - 8:11PM #33
jane2

Oct 23, 2010 -- 7:52PM, appy20 wrote:

Jane,

Many horses are crippled by the pursuit of the Triple Crown.  Growing up with horse racing may not mean you know beans about horse physiology.  I have spent over a decade, reading the same texts used in vet schools, to understand the subject. 

I don't know anything about horse physiology--I was just a spectator.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2010 - 8:22PM #34
Ceren

Oct 23, 2010 -- 8:11PM, jane2 wrote:

Jane,

And this is one (of the many) reasons why I don't think it's moral to use animals for our entertainment. 

Why confine animals, make them basically our "slaves" for our own entertainment?

It makes me cringe, like very time I see a Seaworld ad.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2010 - 8:29PM #35
jane2

Oct 23, 2010 -- 8:22PM, Ceren wrote:

Jane,

And this is one (of the many) reasons why I don't think it's moral to use animals for our entertainment. 

Why confine animals, make them basically our "slaves" for our own entertainment?

Concern for animals is good thing.

My main concern is caring for my human brother. I'm not overly religious but I have been taught this all my life. On threads about animal welfare this is not considered quite p.c.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2010 - 11:05PM #36
Ceren

Oct 23, 2010 -- 8:29PM, jane2 wrote:

My main concern is caring for my human brother. I'm not overly religious but I have been taught this all my life. On threads about animal welfare this is not considered quite p.c.

The good thing is that we can care for both humanity and animals at the same time. In fact, from a universal perspective, they go hand in hand.

I had to choose between killing a lion who's about to eat another human being or let the lion kill the human I would not doubt for a second my option.

From my (limited) experience, the percentage vegetarians among activists and volunteers is quite large. This leads me to believe that they care both for animals and humans at the same time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2010 - 9:46AM #37
Marcion

Oct 23, 2010 -- 11:05PM, Ceren wrote:

The good thing is that we can care for both humanity and animals at the same time. In fact, from a universal perspective, they go hand in hand.

I had to choose between killing a lion who's about to eat another human being or let the lion kill the human I would not doubt for a second my option.

From my (limited) experience, the percentage vegetarians among activists and volunteers is quite large. This leads me to believe that they care both for animals and humans at the same time.

I care more for animals than humans. Humans are a pathetic species.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2010 - 12:42PM #38
mytmouse57

Oct 23, 2010 -- 8:22PM, Ceren wrote:

Jane,

It probably all depends. I'm sure many race horses are treated better than a lot of human children are right now. Plus, it's not like the animals don't love what they're doing. They do.

As for Seaworld, I don't know enough to say. At first blush, it seems monumentally stupid to try to confine a highly intelligent, powerful and predatory animal like an Orca and expect it to not hurt people.

But then again, I'm speaking from a posistion of presumption and relative ignorance. And frankly, I think you're doing the same.

We tend to get emotional about animals. I know I am about my dogs. But, at the end of the day, they're still only dogs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2010 - 12:45PM #39
mytmouse57

Oct 24, 2010 -- 9:46AM, Marcion wrote:

And you're more than welcome to wallow in your grouchy misantrophy, if it suits you.

I, personally, have no use for it. I respect animals, and advocate animal welfare, but I'm not taking it to some sort of irrational human-hating extreme.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2010 - 9:46PM #40
Marcion

Oct 24, 2010 -- 12:45PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Oct 24, 2010 -- 9:46AM, Marcion wrote:

And you're more than welcome to wallow in your grouchy misantrophy, if it suits you.

I, personally, have no use for it. I respect animals, and advocate animal welfare, but I'm not taking it to some sort of irrational human-hating extreme.

Thanks for your kind human words.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 12  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook