Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What's Killing the Killer Whales?
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2010 - 8:27PM #1
Weepingangelofthetrees

ABC News Video LINK

Three whales being held in captivity died within the last four months.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2010 - 11:41AM #2
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Me?

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2010 - 4:31PM #3
Weepingangelofthetrees

Oct 8, 2010 -- 11:41AM, allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

Me?

See? We told you how many times!? Stop peeing in the pool. But nooooo!

My first thought was virus. With the Whales dying this fast it could be something that's catching either in them, in the waters they share at shows. Or it could be something in the fish.
Worst case scenario, it's an terrorist animal rights group killing them somehow, because they figure it's better to be dead, than captive as show whales. Tragic story, none the less. Embarassed

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2010 - 4:37PM #4
Ebon

My first guess would be either virus or some kind of pollutant that somehow got into their enviroment.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2010 - 5:19PM #5
solfeggio

Animal rights groups aren't 'terrorists' but just people who want to seek justice for our fellow animals.  So, I really don't think that anybody who cares about other species would decide to kill the orcas just to prove a point.

These creatures are social animals that need to interact with others, and maybe being confined to Sea World (which is like being sentenced to life in prison for a crime you didn't commit) has finally caused them to just give up and die.

www.cnbc.com/id/39527623

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2010 - 5:39PM #6
Weepingangelofthetrees

Oct 9, 2010 -- 5:19PM, solfeggio wrote:

Animal rights groups aren't 'terrorists'

Unless we're not talking about PeTA here, that is very often true. Unfortunately, when many people think of animal rights groups, the first such organization that comes to mind is PeTA, who are terrorists. So prolific in that regard as a matter of fact, that they and their associates ALF, are on the FBI's Terrorist Watch List. 

Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2010 - 5:57PM #7
solfeggio

Well, it depends upon how you classify some group as 'terrorist.'  I don't know much about PETA myself, except that they've gotten some bad publicity in the recent past, so I can't comment there.

But there are groups that will do things to make their point which could be thought of as a type of 'terrorism' I suppose.  If a group goes into a lab and takes out the lab animals and frees them, and in so doing trashes the lab, then this is property destruction, and such acts by animal rights groups are sometimes looked upon as 'terrorism.'

But if nobody is hurt or killed, then is this really terrorism?  Not in my book.

On the other hand, I don't condone property destruction as a tactic, because it doesn't prove anything and just makes the perpetrators look bad.

I'm all for animal rights, but I think you have to work with people and educate them if you want to get anywhere, rather than kill the orcas or destroy a lab.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2010 - 4:01PM #8
Iwantamotto

solfeggio:  But there are groups that will do things to make their point which could be thought of as a type of 'terrorism' I suppose.  If a group goes into a lab and takes out the lab animals and frees them, and in so doing trashes the lab, then this is property destruction, and such acts by animal rights groups are sometimes looked upon as 'terrorism.'

I don't think all environmental supporters are "terrorists".  However, a lot of them are very ignorant of practical matters.  Take Keiko.  "Hey, let's rescue this poor, poor whale because the movie made us cry and ... oh, snap ... he died.  *shrugs*"  I have issues with zoos or theme parks with less space than should really be reasonable, but I have no problems with providing sanctuaries because their homes are worse.  I think there are lots of idealistic people in the world with a lot of love but no idea of how nature works.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 7:43AM #9
Ebon

Oct 9, 2010 -- 5:19PM, solfeggio wrote:

Animal rights groups aren't 'terrorists' but just people who want to seek justice for our fellow animals.  So, I really don't think that anybody who cares about other species would decide to kill the orcas just to prove a point.

I think you underestimate the human capacity for self-delusion. Bombing abortion clinics doesn't make any logical sense either but it happens.

These creatures are social animals that need to interact with others, and maybe being confined to Sea World (which is like being sentenced to life in prison for a crime you didn't commit) has finally caused them to just give up and die.

Perhaps but creatures don't typically die of lonliness alone.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 12:47PM #10
teilhard

MANY Populations of Living Things experience ( Natural ) periodic "Crashes" ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook