Switch to Forum Live View When It Comes to Being Charitable, We're Tops
4 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2010 - 6:43PM #1
solfeggio

Gallup's WorldView World Poll, using telephone and face-to-face interviews as well as questionannaires, has done a survey of 156 nations worldwide on the willingness of their citizens to donate time and/or money to charity, or to offer help to a stranger.  Australia and New Zealand were in first place, followed by Canada, Ireland, the U.S. and Switzerland.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39064021/ns/world_n...

What's interesting is that countries like China, Russia, and India ranked 'way down near the bottom.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2010 - 7:03PM #2
Weepingangelofthetrees

Sep 9, 2010 -- 6:43PM, solfeggio wrote:

Gallup's WorldView World Poll, using telephone and face-to-face interviews as well as questionannaires, has done a survey of 156 nations worldwide on the willingness of their citizens to donate time and/or money to charity, or to offer help to a stranger.  Australia and New Zealand were in first place, followed by Canada, Ireland, the U.S. and Switzerland.

What's interesting is that countries like China, Russia, and India ranked 'way down near the bottom.

Well, it's like they say; charity begins at home. (or not)

Great post. I have charities I donate to. As well as local community assistance centers and the human and animal food banks. If you're blessed, be a blessing.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 12:07PM #3
MMarcoe

Sep 9, 2010 -- 6:43PM, solfeggio wrote:

So if you're poor, it's best to live in a First-World nation like Australia than a Second- or Third-World nation like China or India.

The First World is superior to all the others.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 1:20PM #4
appy20

I don't know that people always realize that they give as much as they do.  I once answered a survey and reported that I hadn't given anything that year.  A few hours after the survey, I opened my email and had 3 emails from organizations thanking me for my contribution. I had forgotten my Haiti contribution.  All three of them.  I had forgotten all the blood donations.  I had forgotten about the breast cancer contribution I made.  I forgot about the Depression research fund I contributed to.  That didn't count all of the other silly things.  Then there is the donations I make to the library.  All the spare change I give to McDonald's.  Those are just the regular stuff I do frequently.  There are other causes I cannot even remember.  

I had contributed but I didn't remember.  Every working person knows that every time you turn around someone is asking to for blood donation, buy cookies for a cause, buy chocolate for a cause, go horseback riding for a cause, go boating for a cause, go running, walking for a cause.  I don't know a single person who has not given something.  

I think we do it so routinely, that we don't realize we are doing it.  I am willing to bet the U.S. results are low because if I had been asked, I would have said I don't give anything.  I have been asked that before and said that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 1:26PM #5
Girlchristian

Sep 10, 2010 -- 1:20PM, appy20 wrote:

I don't know that people always realize that they give as much as they do.  I once answered a survey and reported that I hadn't given anything that year.  A few hours after the survey, I opened my email and had 3 emails from organizations thanking me for my contribution. I had forgotten my Haiti contribution.  All three of them.  I had forgotten all the blood donations.  I had forgotten about the breast cancer contribution I made.  I forgot about the Depression research fund I contributed to.  That didn't count all of the other silly things.  Then there is the donations I make to the library.  All the spare change I give to McDonald's.  Those are just the regular stuff I do frequently.  There are other causes I cannot even remember.  

I had contributed but I didn't remember.  Every working person knows that every time you turn around someone is asking to for blood donation, buy cookies for a cause, buy chocolate for a cause, go horseback riding for a cause, go boating for a cause, go running, walking for a cause.  I don't know a single person who has not given something.  

I think we do it so routinely, that we don't realize we are doing it.  I am willing to bet the U.S. results are low because if I had been asked, I would have said I don't give anything.  I have been asked that before and said that.

I agree. I give all the time to little things like you do (change, $5, $10, $20, etc...) and don't really keep track of it. I give blood every two months and recently submitted my cheek swabs to officially register as a bone marrow donor. I would probably say that I don't give because I don't write big checks to organizations.

On a sidenote: a friend who makes around $250K keeps track of EVERYTHING he gives, including $5 donations and then deducts them at tax time. He told me I need to start doing so as it really helps.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2010 - 11:48AM #6
costrel

Sep 10, 2010 -- 1:26PM, Girlchristian wrote:

On a sidenote: a friend who makes around $250K keeps track of EVERYTHING he gives, including $5 donations and then deducts them at tax time. He told me I need to start doing so as it really helps.

Next thing you know he'll be keeping track of all the tips he gives to restaurant servers who make 2 and a half an hour and expect to have that deducted at tax time as well. Undecided

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2010 - 11:58AM #7
Agnosticspirit

Sep 11, 2010 -- 11:48AM, costrel wrote:

Next thing you know he'll be keeping track of all the tips he gives to restaurant servers who make 2 and a half an hour and expect to have that deducted at tax time as well. Undecided

My charitable donations are very similar to appy.... I've made a few donations to Doctors Without Borders and participated in a couple 5K walkathons. Those are really the only receipts I can come up with. 

Next time I pass out a couple bucks to my local panhandler what am I supposed to do, get a receipt? Am I supposed to keep the receipts for all the bottled water and sandwich/snacky items I've bought to give away? How about the cans I put out next to the wastebin for my local street people? Should I be keeping track of those too? 

How do I get a receipt for the leftover change I leave for various causes in stores/restaurants/city plaza, carwash for a cause? Sorry, but this kind of penny pinching is a little over the top....maybe that's why my tax burden is relatively high for my income level --- because I don't stash every single receipt. 

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2010 - 1:58PM #8
Girlchristian

Sep 11, 2010 -- 11:58AM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

Sep 11, 2010 -- 11:48AM, costrel wrote:

Next thing you know he'll be keeping track of all the tips he gives to restaurant servers who make 2 and a half an hour and expect to have that deducted at tax time as well.

My charitable donations are very similar to appy.... I've made a few donations to Doctors Without Borders and participated in a couple 5K walkathons. Those are really the only receipts I can come up with. 

Next time I pass out a couple bucks to my local panhandler what am I supposed to do, get a receipt? Am I supposed to keep the receipts for all the bottled water and sandwich/snacky items I've bought to give away? How about the cans I put out next to the wastebin for my local street people? Should I be keeping track of those too? 

How do I get a receipt for the leftover change I leave for various causes in stores/restaurants/city plaza, carwash for a cause? Sorry, but this kind of penny pinching is a little over the top....maybe that's why my tax burden is relatively high for my income level --- because I don't stash every single receipt. 

Maybe. Maybe that's also why those who make a lot of money keep a lot of it. I claim things like goodwill donations and donations to charities, but I don't claim as much as I could. Although, I make less than $45K/year so it probably wouldn't help me as much to do so.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2010 - 4:59PM #9
appy20

I am not that ambitious with money either.  I don't love money enough to focus on it that seriously.  Plus, it feels kind of, well, shallow to count every penny.  I don't feel guilty for what I have but I do enjoy what I have more when others have something too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2010 - 8:01PM #10
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook