Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Authorities remove 170 hoarded cats
4 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2010 - 8:31PM #1
mytmouse57

About 170 cats -- apparently hoarded in a house in rural Wyoming, have been removed from the property. Many of the animals are ill or suffering from malnutrition.

billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regio...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2010 - 9:03PM #2
Weepingangelofthetrees

Embarassed How sad. And very often these people think they're doing good by giving the homeless a place to live. Bless their souls. I hope all that can be adopted, find good homes. And those that are too far gone to help, find peace. So tragic.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2010 - 9:26PM #3
IreneAdler

Aug 27, 2010 -- 9:03PM, Weepingangelofthetrees wrote:

How sad. And very often these people think they're doing good by giving the homeless a place to live. Bless their souls. I hope all that can be adopted, find good homes. And those that are too far gone to help, find peace. So tragic.

The giving  'homeless animals a place to live' is often the reason given for these situations.  Sometimes I wonder about that.  Certainly it is understood that animals need more than a roof over their heads- food, medical attention, affection, clean and sanitary environment, etc. So why aren't these things provided for as well? Or provision made not to overtax resources?

Seems it's more about the people involved and less about the animals involved. And very sad too.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2010 - 9:57PM #4
Weepingangelofthetrees

Aug 27, 2010 -- 9:26PM, IreneAdler wrote:

Aug 27, 2010 -- 9:03PM, Weepingangelofthetrees wrote:

How sad. And very often these people think they're doing good by giving the homeless a place to live. Bless their souls. I hope all that can be adopted, find good homes. And those that are too far gone to help, find peace. So tragic.

The giving  'homeless animals a place to live' is often the reason given for these situations.  Sometimes I wonder about that.  Certainly it is understood that animals need more than a roof over their heads- food, medical attention, affection, clean and sanitary environment, etc. So why aren't these things provided for as well? Or provision made not to overtax resources?

Seems it's more about the people involved and less about the animals involved. And very sad too.

Irene.

Often times it can be an emotional issue. Someone's filling a hole with something else they can care for. And their condition precludes them from seeing that not having the money to feed, or medically provide for those many animals in their charge, is not really caring for them at all.
There is an animal shelter in our State that recently expanded to nearly three times it's former size in accommodations. A veterinarian I know well said the tragedy there is that the facilities reputation is depleted to the point it appears now they're all about the money, and not about the humanity of it all.

Homeless animals are our responsibility.  It's so easy to discard a sentient four legged being, when their care becomes too much of a responsibility for the irresponsible. That Christmas gift that was so cute as a kitten with the bow around it's little neck, is suddenly not so adorable full grown and spraying musk to mark it's territory in the home. So in the car it goes, and down the country road. Because it's a cat, the driver figures, and it can always find something to eat.

It's so easy to prosecute and fine hoarders in cases like this.  But to take those fines and put them in a fund to help make a difference for those folks who may want to give homes to homeless animals, instead of a death sentence or a feral future,  is something I don't think is very often considered in matters like these. And always the heartbreak is , it's the precious animals that suffer the humans choice.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2010 - 10:25PM #5
Abner1

IreneAdler wrote:

> So why aren't these things provided for as well? Or provision made not to overtax resources?

It's a common problem with hoarders, unfortunately.  There was a rather notorious case in the science fiction community where a would-be historian bought up huge collections of early science fiction manuscripts, novels, tapes, everything he could get - he wanted to collect it all and save it from the ravages of time.  But he kept spending all his money on collecting, which left nothing for maintenance, so it all got stored in a leaky and moldy old barn and most of it got ruined ...  Larry Niven wrote a fictionalized account of the guy into his novel _Inferno_.  It's basically the same behavior.

Basically, most people have trouble with resource allocation, and if they care about saving something very much - sometimes they just can't bear to let some of it go uncollected and thus "unsaved" so they can do a proper job of saving the stuff they've already collected.  We're not as rational as we'd like to imagine.  :(

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2010 - 2:27PM #6
karbie

I've seen some of these rescues--at some point these people seem to lose the ability to accurately count just how many animals they have. One rescue group run by a husband and wife were licensed for 82 cats--the day the Humane Soceity came out the final toll was 356. I think one thing that would help is simply more no-kill shelters. I think this is an area that PETA should really help fund--if you keep these animals alive and allowed to live their years in peace and good surroundings, that is a bit more important in the general scheme of things than throwing paint on coats that may or may not be fur. (Mother had to show the content label to one woman to get her to accept Mother's coat was made from some poor acrylics.)

At the end of the day they left the couple the 82 cats who were among the healthy ones. I can see hwere the first few would have been a case of taking in just one more...but it isn't fair to make animals spend their days without proper care. I went out in a blizzard to catch crickets for my son's anoles. They were living beings in my care and we were responsible to do our best for them. The baggie goldfish my son brought home lived to be 9 years old.

Having that many animals you can't care for isn't love, or being kind. Some of the cats rescued that day were dying or so ill with contagious diseases they had to persuade the woman that she just couldn't keep all the animals she wanted because they needed to go. The real rescuers that day were so patient and loving with that couple, and while there were tears, there were hugs by the end of the day as well.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2010 - 3:22PM #7
Weepingangelofthetrees

Aug 28, 2010 -- 2:27PM, karbie wrote:

(sic)"... I think this is an area that PETA should really help fund..."

That would be impossible. PeTA kills animals! They have not now nor have they ever, truly exampled ethicacy toward homeless pets.It's why the "e" (ethical) in the acronym is lower case. Ethics, failing to be a priority in their organization that is tax exempt. Which means, by law they are prohibited from pursuing any legislative action so as to better the standards and practices afforded animal welfare in any respect.In fact, the majority of animals that are donated to PeTA, by those who are not aware of PeTA's deplorable reputation, are killed by PeTA.  (Link) PeTA Kills Animals

7 Things You Don't Know About PeTA

PETA Employees Face 31 Felony Animal-Cruelty Charges for Killing, Dumping Dogs (2005 Article)

And the "Fur is Dead" campaign wherein they rally their membership to harass celebrities who dare to wear fur? Is bogus! PeTA accepts fur coats as donations for...the homeless! So as to allegedly keep them warm on our streets in the winter. Now, imagine the potential in that one. There's a homeless person who is already a target for criminality, and abuse wearing a full length mink coat that stands to sell for a pretty penny, on the streets.
Meanwhile, PeTA who have millions in their account being tax exempt and able to actually help the homeless with shelters, sponsoring soup kitchens, etc... do not!
In fact, there is not one Veterinary spay/neuter program within the vicinity of PeTA's main office. Not one! Nor has there ever been. If you love animals, don't join PeTA, who happen to also be, and along with their affiliate ALF, on the NSA and FBI Terrorist Watch List.

Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2010 - 6:07PM #8
mytmouse57

I don't like PETA because they embrace -- or at least claim to embrace -- the unrealistic, illogical and unreasonably extreme philosophy of "animal rights" -- which rest on the delusion that animals are equal to human beings; that animal life has as much value as human life.

I embrace a philosophy of animal welfare -- which acknowledges a duty of kindness to animals, respect for nature and a responsibility to take good care of the domestic beasts one keeps as pets or livestock.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2010 - 6:34PM #9
solfeggio

Mouse -

Yet again, we must agree to disagree Smile.

Animal welfare concerns the treatment of animals and the regulation of animal exploitation.  Welfarists maintain that it is acceptable to use nonhumans for any purpose, as long as we treat them 'humanely.'

Animal rights advocates believe that we humans have no moral justification for using nonhuman animals for our purposes, whatever they might be.  Humans treat nonhuman animals as things that have no value other than that which we decide to give them. 

And, obviously, as long as nonhuman animals are regarded as nothing more than property, their health and welfare can never be assured.

What, exactly, defines animal rights?  It's simple.  Animal rights advocates believe that all sentient beings, whether human or nonhuman, should have the one basic right not to be treated as property.

What is sentience?  It is subjective awareness or consciousness, the sensation of feeling.  Eastern religions like Buddhism, Jainism, and Hinduism recognise nonhumans as sentient beings.  A sentient being is aware of his/her surroundings, and is capable of feeling pain and pleasure.

As an animal rights advocate myself, I strongly believe that making use of any sentient life, whether human or nonhuman, for our own purposes, is morally wrong.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2010 - 9:41PM #10
karbie

The worst job my father ever had was working for a pharmaceutical giant. He was one of many who shoveled dead rhesus monkeys into incinerators--and it was one he had nightmares about to go along with the ones from WWII. They weren't too concerned about employees either--he worked in the area manufacturing DES. There was supposed to be a rotation schedule due to side effects...problem was getting anyone to go back. when he developed breasts and didn't need to shave, he quit. Fortunately for me that was before I was conceived and he would shower repeatedly trying to scrub any traces from his skin. It was also something Mother talked to her doctors about when the effects on daughters became public information.

Why am I not surprised about peta? a few years ago a group in Great Britain let minks free--and they promptly started eating endangered species. I guess no one bothered to check how the animals would survive in the wild or what their favorite prey was.The last 3 dogs in the family were all rehomed into the family; if you get a pet, you've accepted them for the course of their lives. I had made a promise to my mother-in-law at one point that if anything happened to her we would take her dog. Turned out to be unnecessary--my husband was not very happy I'd agreed without discussion--but her relief was incredible. Furry family members are furry family members. And frequently smarter than some family members of some people I've known.

As they've been learning, animals can communicate with us at levels no one would have believed before Koko and other animals were given a way to do so. They can communicate with us better than we can with them. I was watching an episode of return to chimp Eden with a female named Zena who had developed hatred for humans. Not surprising since she'd been a pet and forcibly held down and shaved so she wouldn't shed on the furniture. He had to convince her he had higher status so she'd stop injuring him. but what made a sudden visible difference was when he was trying to get her down from a tree that had branches over the adult enclosure. It wasn't until he used chimp vocalizations that her entire body language toward him changed. When he got her back down safely, she went up and hugged him. The dominant male greeted her with joy and love and played with her as if she was his own. I'm gald that there are people rescuing these primates instead of trying to turn them into substitute children and not only neutering them but pulling teeth so they can't bite their owners as they get older.

Foster an animal. Foster a child--Lord knows there's enough of both that need loving places to stay. Turning animals into mini-babies and their lives into misery should be illegal in the entire country instead of just a few states. They should learn a little about primates--when an ape-be it chimp or gorilla smiles at you, it's telling you to back off, not how happy it is and how much it loves you. It's a warning, not a smile. And no matter the size, a life in a cage doesn't do much for any living being's mental stability...never mind--people who want tiny little monkey children aren't mentally stable to begin with.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook