Switch to Forum Live View VA Attorney General Cuccinelli says, Virginia Can Regulate Abortion Clinics
4 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2010 - 3:09PM #1
Weepingangelofthetrees

RICHMOND

Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli has issued a legal opinion concluding  that Virginia has the authority to impose tougher standards on clinics  where first-trimester abortions are performed.

That stance prompted strong reaction from abortion rights advocates,  who accused the attorney general of trying to circumvent the General  Assembly, which has rejected attempts to stiffen some abortion clinic  regulations.

“This is just a way to basically implement a political agenda,”  Tarina Keene of NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia said. “It’s not about making  abortions safer.”

In Virginia, abortion clinics are categorized as outpatient  facilities – similar to medical and dentistry offices and centers for  plastic surgery, midwifery and endoscopy.  Those facilities are staffed  by licensed medical professionals.

Licensure by the state Health Department is required for outpatient  surgical centers and hospitals. In Virginia, abortions beyond the
initial trimester of pregnancy must be performed in a hospital setting.

Over the years, anti-abortion lawmakers – including Cuccinelli when  he served in the state Senate – have sponsored bills to hold abortion  clinics to the regulatory standards hospitals must meet. The measures  have failed.

Imposing those standards, Keene said, would “single out” abortion  providers, require them to make  costly renovations and could lead to  the closure of 17 or 18 of the 21 clinics statewide. (Continues)

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2010 - 3:25PM #2
Christianlib

Enlightened thinking right up there with, "Get Your Biscuits in the Oven and your Buns in the Bed."

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2010 - 4:22PM #3
Weepingangelofthetrees

Thankfully there's a difference between what he says, and what has yet to be established. Virginia is notorious for being ultra conservative. I remember in 2004, their Legislature passed what many attorneys deemed to be the most restrictive anti-gay laws in the country.Causing many to edit their tourist slogan from; "Virginia is for Lovers" , unto "Virginia is for Homophobes" (Or Haters). 

So, this latest attempt at restricting women's right of access so as to exercise their freedom of choice, is just another example of the mind set that plays politics in that State.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2010 - 8:01PM #4
TemplarS

Abortion is a medical procedure and, so long as they are in accordance with Roe v. Wade and subsequent SC decisions (which allow restrictions under certain circumstances), states may regulate it as they see fit.

"Imposing those standards, Keene said, would 'single out' abortion providers, require them to make costly renovations and could lead to the closure of 17 or 18 of the 21 clinics statewide."

I'm not buying this either.  "Government regulation will force us out of business" is the whine of the oil companies and the banks and the insurance companies.  What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, and I'm not buying it from abortion clinics either.

I'm not going to lose sleep over this one.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2010 - 7:55AM #5
Ebon

I can see state-federal conflicts here. And, as I've said before, an unenforceable law is both pointless and an insult to the rule of law itself.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2010 - 11:02AM #6
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook