Page 16 of 18  •  Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Dr. Laura to end her radio show (Includes Video Larry King Interview)
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 11:39AM #151
whirligngg

"Oh I can, lots of black entertainers who use the word several times in a short period of time"

Is "Dr" Laura Black?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 11:55AM #152
Tolerant Sis

Aug 25, 2010 -- 9:09PM, Erey wrote:

Aug 24, 2010 -- 9:53AM, Tolerant Sis wrote:

You're wrong.  Dr. Laura does claim to be a therapist.  After she began her career on the radio of dispensing personal advice to people happier than she is, she obtained training and certification in marriage and family counseling from the University of Southern California, and a therapist's license from the State of California. In addition, she and opened up a part-time practice as a marriage and family counselor.

I distincly remember her saying that she is not providing therapy.  And she went on to say the idea of providing therapy on the radio is ridiculous.  Which I agree, the idea of providing usefull therapy or even having enough time to understand a caller when you have just a couple of minutes on a radio show is ludicris.  It is a radio SHOW as in entertainment.  Radio therapy would never be entertaining and would be a real channel changer.

In her book The Ten Commandments (ironically enough, since she has not only dishonored her parents but committed adultery), she calls herself a "licensed psychotherapist." Her Ph.D., however is in physiology, not psychology. Though she does have an MFCC (a certificate in marriage, family, and child counseling), the State of California, where she resides, does not consider her a psychotherapist. In fact, it is illegal in California to call oneself a psychotherapist without a state license, which she does not have.

There are other radio therapists, such as Dr. Joy Brown, who really do offer actual therapy on air, so it isn't that Laura wouldn't be capable of such a thing, just that it's not in fact what she does.  What she does is shock jocking.

First amendment fan since 1793.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 12:15PM #153
Erey

Aug 26, 2010 -- 11:55AM, Tolerant Sis wrote:

Aug 25, 2010 -- 9:09PM, Erey wrote:

Aug 24, 2010 -- 9:53AM, Tolerant Sis wrote:

You're wrong.  Dr. Laura does claim to be a therapist.  After she began her career on the radio of dispensing personal advice to people happier than she is, she obtained training and certification in marriage and family counseling from the University of Southern California, and a therapist's license from the State of California. In addition, she and opened up a part-time practice as a marriage and family counselor.

I distincly remember her saying that she is not providing therapy.  And she went on to say the idea of providing therapy on the radio is ridiculous.  Which I agree, the idea of providing usefull therapy or even having enough time to understand a caller when you have just a couple of minutes on a radio show is ludicris.  It is a radio SHOW as in entertainment.  Radio therapy would never be entertaining and would be a real channel changer.

In her book The Ten Commandments (ironically enough, since she has not only dishonored her parents but committed adultery), she calls herself a "licensed psychotherapist." Her Ph.D., however is in physiology, not psychology. Though she does have an MFCC (a certificate in marriage, family, and child counseling), the State of California, where she resides, does not consider her a psychotherapist. In fact, it is illegal in California to call oneself a psychotherapist without a state license, which she does not have.

There are other radio therapists, such as Dr. Joy Brown, who really do offer actual therapy on air, so it isn't that Laura wouldn't be capable of such a thing, just that it's not in fact what she does.  What she does is shock jocking.

Yes she might hae those credentials but she has never claimed what she does on the radio is therapy.  in fact she has announced on several occasions that it is not threapy.

It is also against the law in many states to practise law if you did not pass the bar in that state - so I see the California thing as irrelevant.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 12:18PM #154
mainecaptain

Aug 25, 2010 -- 9:40PM, arielg wrote:

I am not a fan of Dr Laura. (She reminds me  of Judge Judy) but when I see the virulence and hateful comments here, always directed at her person and not what she says,  I can't help  thinking  she must be saying  something right. She seems to touch a nerve in some people.

Judge Judy is not mean spirited. But even if they were the same, She does not deal with the delicate psyche of disturbed and trouble people coming to her for emotional support and advice.

Judge Judy is dealing with people seeking monetary compensation, not emotional counseling. And she is warm to those who appear truly the victim.

Judge Judy does appear to try and be fair. Dr Laura does not even listen to her callers. She hears them, but does not listen.

Dr Laura does not care about people, you can tell just by her tone, and her "me, me, me," whining.

I have not heared one interview by her since, where she says, she wishes she could have helped the caller, at the centre of all this.

It is all about her, not others.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 12:41PM #155
Cesmom

Aug 26, 2010 -- 12:18PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I am not a fan of Dr Laura. (She reminds me  of Judge Judy) but when I see the virulence and hateful comments here, always directed at her person and not what she says,  I can't help  thinking  she must be saying  something right. She seems to touch a nerve in some people.

Judge Judy is not mean spirited. But even if they were the same, She does not deal with the delicate psyche of disturbed and trouble people coming to her for emotional support and advice.

Judge Judy is dealing with people seeking monetary compensation, not emotional counseling. And she is warm to those who appear truly the victim.

Judge Judy does appear to try and be fair. Dr Laura does not even listen to her callers. She hears them, but does not listen.

Dr Laura does not care about people, you can tell just by her tone, and her "me, me, me," whining.

I have not heared one interview by her since, where she says, she wishes she could have helped the caller, at the centre of all this.

Everything you say here is correct. 

I don't think Dr. Laura cares about people.  I think she's rude and tacky and I don't care for her.  She goes out of her way to be as rude as possible just for the shock affect. 

But all that said, I don't think she's a racist.  I think that she might be a little clueless, but to me, a racist has a clear belief that they are superior to another race, they show intolerance toward that race, they believe people in that race should be treated differently than people in their own race. 

I don't think Dr. Laura, as ignorant and rude as she may be, is a racist.  I think she's a b#@$% to everyone equally. 

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 12:43PM #156
teilhard

So, maybe she is a "Narcissist" ... ???

Aug 26, 2010 -- 12:41PM, Cesmom wrote:

Aug 26, 2010 -- 12:18PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Everything you say here is correct. 

I don't think Dr. Laura cares about people.  I think she's rude and tacky and I don't care for her.  She goes out of her way to be as rude as possible just for the shock affect. 

But all that said, I don't think she's a racist.  I think that she might be a little clueless, but to me, a racist has a clear belief that they are superior to another race, they show intolerance toward that race, they believe people in that race should be treated differently than people in their own race. 

I don't think Dr. Laura, as ignorant and rude as she may be, is a racist.  I think she's a b#@$% to everyone equally. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 12:44PM #157
rabello

Dr Laura is most like Rush Limbaugh, Dennis Prager, Mark Levin, Michelle Maulkin, Ann Colter, and the rest of the loud, know-it-all, rightwing bloviators.  

Judge Judy might be abrasive as a tv- judge, but she is not a reactionary, hysterical rightwinger who presents her personal ultra-rightwing politics as "truth" for the masses

Black Lives Matter
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 12:47PM #158
teilhard

As a Judge, "Judy's" Opinions and Judgments can be reviewed by A Higher Court ...

As a Judge, "Laura's" Judgmental Opinions can be reviewed by Her Fans ...

Aug 26, 2010 -- 12:44PM, rabello wrote:

Dr Laura is most like Rush Limbaugh, Dennis Prager, Mark Levin, Michelle Maulkin, Ann Colter.  

Judge Judy might be abrasive as a tv- judge, but she is not a reactionary, hysterical rightwinger who presents her personal rightwing politics as "truth"

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 12:54PM #159
Christianlib

Actually, no, Judy's opinions are NOT subject to review or appeal.

Those TV "Court" shows are not really legal courts, they are arbitration sessions.  The participants have signed binding arbitration agreements to get on the show.  Part of the agreement is that there is no recourse, or path of appeal, to the arbitrator's decision.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 12:55PM #160
rabello

Aug 26, 2010 -- 12:47PM, teilhard wrote:

As a Judge, "Judy's" Opinions and Judgments can be reviewed by A Higher Court ...

As a Judge, "Laura's" Judgmental Opinions can be reviewed by Her Fans ...

Not to mention, Judge Judy doesn't use her "platform" to "spew" her ultra-rightwing political ideologies in order to influence public opinion, the way "Dr" Laura does.

Black Lives Matter
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 16 of 18  •  Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook