Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Human ancestors ate meat 3.2 million years ago...
4 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2010 - 2:35AM #1
CharikIeia

Findings on ancient animal bones seem to prove meat eating not to be the recently acquired bad habit that some vegan ideologues have constructed it to be:

www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,...

In other words, some species of human ancestor — likely Australopithecus  afarensis, whose best known representative is 3.2-million-year-old  Lucy, the authors say — not only had a hankering for meat, which  scientists had not expected, but used tools to get it.

Admittedly not exactly a hot news item, but it could pour oil on the vegan fire :-)

Solfeggio, what's your take on this?

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2010 - 7:52AM #2
Tmarie64

Well, ummm..Duh!  We have tearing and grinding teeth.   Humans are omnivores, we're built to be omnivores.

Shouldn't make any difference to anyone... It's a lifestyle choice, the choice to eat meat or not, that is.

Our bodies are designed to live either way. 

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2010 - 7:55AM #3
costrel

Aug 12, 2010 -- 2:35AM, CharikIeia wrote:

Admittedly not exactly a hot news item, but it could pour oil on the vegan fire :-)

Actually, I don't think this will pour any oil on any vegan fire. Solfeggio can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as if many vegans and animal rights activists argue that humans, in their "primitive" pasts, have relied on meat and other animal products for survival. This includes the complex buffalo culture of the North American Plains, as well as Neolithic Europeans who gave their babies and children non-human milk to consume. Though as a result of our advanced technologies, from agriculture to transportation to plastics manufacturing, human beings today no longer need to use animal skins for clothing and for shelter, or animal bones to make bowls and spoons and knife handles, nor do they need to rely upon meat, eggs, and milk for their dietary needs.

People today -- the majority of whom live in urban areas -- can go to the store and buy dishes and silverware made out of plastic and steel; they can buy beverages in glass, plastic, and aluminum containers; they can buy not only fresh fruits and vegetables even in the winter months, but also canned fruits and vegetables; they can buy clothing made from cotton and polyester; they can buy plastic belts rather than leather belts; they can even buy Boca burgers for those who still have the carnivorous taste for meat. This seems to be the argument -- we no longer live in conditions that would force us for the sake of survival to go out and shoot a deer with a bow and arrow, or club a rabbit with a rock, or even raise chickens and cows and pigs on little farms out in the middle of nowhere.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2010 - 8:30AM #4
mecdukebec
I always wonder how the "young creationists" handle this kind of scientific truth.  I mean, if the earth was created slightly before the Pyramids of Egypt, then how did those Australopithecenes miss the piece in the biblical book of Genesis not mentioning them?

Other than that, did they barbecue?

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2010 - 8:43AM #5
appy20

Nonetheless, the only thing that has reversed heart disease is either a no or low meat diet.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2010 - 10:07AM #6
arielg

Aug 12, 2010 -- 7:55AM, costrel wrote:

Aug 12, 2010 -- 2:35AM, CharikIeia wrote:

Actually, I don't think this will pour any oil on any vegan fire. Solfeggio can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as if many vegans and animal rights activists argue that humans, in their "primitive" pasts, have relied on meat and other animal products for survival. This includes the complex buffalo culture of the North American Plains, as well as Neolithic Europeans who gave their babies and children non-human milk to consume. Though as a result of our advanced technologies, from agriculture to transportation to plastics manufacturing, human beings today no longer need to use animal skins for clothing and for shelter, or animal bones to make bowls and spoons and knife handles, nor do they need to rely upon meat, eggs, and milk for their dietary needs.

People today -- the majority of whom live in urban areas -- can go to the store and buy dishes and silverware made out of plastic and steel; they can buy beverages in glass, plastic, and aluminum containers; they can buy not only fresh fruits and vegetables even in the winter months, but also canned fruits and vegetables; they can buy clothing made from cotton and polyester; they can buy plastic belts rather than leather belts; they can even buy Boca burgers for those who still have the carnivorous taste for meat. This seems to be the argument -- we no longer live in conditions that would force us for the sake of survival to go out and shoot a deer with a bow and arrow, or club a rabbit with a rock, or even raise chickens and cows and pigs on little farms out in the middle of nowhere.

I think you have expressed the situation correctly. Life is continuous change and evolution.  Birds were dinosaurs at one point.  Meat eaters keep using "biological" arguments to justify their meat eating habits.  I know very well they are very difficult to change, but it shouldn't cloud our judgement.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2010 - 11:37AM #7
Mlyons619

You mean like

-Anthropological evidence

- Biology

- Fact that WORLDWIDE just about every society - modern or primitive - is OMNIVOROUS 

Seems to me the one's stretching are the Vegangelists...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2010 - 11:56AM #8
David

we sure didn't get our bicuspeds and molars from eating plants...animal protein provides very much needed amino acids, Vitamin B 6 and 12...iron, zinc..a lot of vital nutrients..

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2010 - 3:24PM #9
Bezant

We gonna have some CHICKEN tonight!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2010 - 3:33PM #10
Tolerant Sis

I'm making some burgers (from free range cattle on a neighbor's farm) for the kids tonight, but I get a delicious black-bean Morningstar burger.  And thanks to whoever suggested the fake bacon ... twas delicious.

First amendment fan since 1793.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook