Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Black Couple/White Baby
4 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2010 - 11:53PM #11
Erey

Jul 20, 2010 -- 7:59PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

I am white.  I am born to white parents, white grandparents, white great-grandparents.  I have one baby photo where I am chocolate brown.  Go figure.

I would probably attribute that to poor film.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2010 - 11:59PM #12
Erey

Jul 20, 2010 -- 9:08PM, Ebon wrote:

Jul 20, 2010 -- 2:23PM, Erey wrote:

Very interesting story.  This couple from Nigeria - gave birth to a white baby.

www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/30609...

I realize the Sun is not the best example of british journalism but they are typically not liars.

This is pretty interesting when you see the close up picture of the baby and then the rest of the family. 

For future reference, The Sun is the second-worst paper in the UK (after The Daily Mail). While they rarely outright lie (although it has happened many times), they do slant, omit, distort and fail to check their facts constantly. On one notable occasion, they just plain invented a story about Liverpool FC fans urinating on the bodies of the dead at Hillsborough (major soccer tragedy, police mismanagement of the crowd resulted in 96 deaths). To this day, the paper sells virtually zero copies in Liverpool. They do have excellent wrestling coverage though. Good rule of thumb is:

Top-level (known as broadsheets, throughly reliable): The Telegraph (centre-right), The Guardian (centre-to-mid left) and The Times (very, very slightly to the right of centre but ferociously objective, Sunday edition could break any paperboy in half, crossword is bloody impossible), Financial Times (utterly objective business and finance news, traditionally printed on pink paper for some reason).

Mid-Level (usually trustworthy but check their facts just in case): The Independent (centre-left but very opinionated), The Express (mid-right but prone to "missing white girl syndrome").

Bottom level (known as tabloids): The Sun (mid-right, traditionally features topless women on Page 3), The Mirror (mid-left, Page 3 girl wears lingere), Daily Star (formerly outright communist, currently a gossip mag with no notable political slant but lots of topless women), Daily Sport (even more topless women but their sports coverage is excellent), The Daily Mail (formerly mid-level, now slipped to tabloid due to it's slide to the frothing ultraright-fringe-bordering-on-fascism (they actually did support fascism in a big way in the 1930s). Distorts, slants and often outright lies, aided by having no journalistic ethics whatsoever. Absolutely poisonous, far worse than the very worst of American "yellow" journalism. Don't trust them to tell you the date).

In addition to that, we have hundreds of local and regional papers. London alone has eleven competing daily papers including the venerable Evening Standard (who have five editions throughout the day which must drive their copy editors to despair).

As for the story: On this occasion, The Sun got it right. It's a fluke of genetics, happens on occasion.

Thanks Ebon, that is a wild story about Liverpool.  I just would not have believed that genetics could fluke quite that hard. 

I guess now that I think about it there are a couple of kids i know from the elementary school.  One was a tow-head blond boy with blue eyes and pale skin but with african features and a light skinned black mother (never saw the father but he is also considered black).  He was not albino and I assumed as he went through puberty his hair would darken .  Also there is a girl at the school with blonde hair, gray eyes, fair skin and her hair has a subltle nappy quality but clearly she is black from her features. 

These newborn pictures it is very hard to discern the features on a baby that young. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2010 - 12:40AM #13
Ebon

Jul 20, 2010 -- 11:59PM, Erey wrote:

Thanks Ebon, that is a wild story about Liverpool.  I just would not have believed that genetics could fluke quite that hard. 

I guess now that I think about it there are a couple of kids i know from the elementary school.  One was a tow-head blond boy with blue eyes and pale skin but with african features and a light skinned black mother (never saw the father but he is also considered black).  He was not albino and I assumed as he went through puberty his hair would darken .  Also there is a girl at the school with blonde hair, gray eyes, fair skin and her hair has a subltle nappy quality but clearly she is black from her features. 

These newborn pictures it is very hard to discern the features on a baby that young. 

It's uncommon but does happen. If you think about how incredibly complex the human genetic code is, one change, even if very minor, can have massive effects. Mutations happen all the time, they have to (otherwise kids would just be clones of their parents). We're not going to get the X-Men (unless I've seriously misunderstood genetics) but relatively minor changes like this (and skin colour is relatively minor biologically), they'll happen once in a while.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2010 - 9:43AM #14
Iwantamotto

Erey:  I would probably attribute that to poor film.

And you would be wrong.  My cousin was also in the picture and is as white as snow.  It's not a lighting issue.  I had jaundice and my parents supposedly kept me out in the sun a great deal to compensate.  Not only that, but Native American traits are all over my family (depending on certain branches of the family tree, though).  I still don't know why it's just that picture, but my parents verify my skin was dark as an infant ... to the point where an African-American couple mistook me for their kid in the nursery after delivery.  I have lightened over the years.  I tend to have phases of "white" and "olive".

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2010 - 1:51AM #15
Stardove

Jul 20, 2010 -- 3:48PM, Erey wrote:

That is interseting Bezant.  That South African girl.

I found both OP story and Sandra Laing's story interesting. 

The movie Skin came out in 2009 about Sandra Laing.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 23, 2011 - 11:54PM #16
Aries0466

Amazing things happen in this world!Some things that can't be explained.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook