Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Vegetarians who eat fish?!
4 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2010 - 7:45AM #1
Ceren

Hello!

I've been surprised lately because I've met several people that call themselves vegetarian yet then say they eat fish Undecided

I have not wanted to tell them that eating fish basically excludes them from calling themsevles vegetarian, but I did not want to offend them. After all, it's not like I have ownership of the word "vegetarian"!

So I was wondering if this is a common occurence or if I just happened to come across exceptional people.

Thanks!

Ceren

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2010 - 1:41PM #2
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Jun 12, 2010 -- 7:45AM, Ceren wrote:

Hello!

I've been surprised lately because I've met several people that call themselves vegetarian yet then say they eat fish

I have not wanted to tell them that eating fish basically excludes them from calling themsevles vegetarian, but I did not want to offend them. After all, it's not like I have ownership of the word "vegetarian"!

So I was wondering if this is a common occurence or if I just happened to come across exceptional people.

Thanks!

Ceren

It's very common.  I think it occurs because people like the reaction they get from others when they claim to be vegetarians. 

A bigger disconnect is the people that claim to be vegetarians but still eat chicken. 

Doesn't make any sense to me either, but there it is. 

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2010 - 11:26PM #3
solfeggio

I once knew of somebody who called himself a vegetarian simply because he really liked to eat vegetables!  LOL

Takes all kinds.  However, there really are different types of vegetarians:

www.passionatevegetarian.com/vegetarian_...

Some people decide they're not going to eat meat anymore but just can't bring themselves to give up the fish.  Others don't eat flesh but still like their fried eggs and cottage cheese.  And so forth.

Many years ago, my husband and I had done some reading on the subject and found that the saturated fat in the flesh of pigs was bad for humans, so we decided we weren't going to eat pork anymore.  Time passed, and we figured we'd give up the red meat, too.  Then, we thought we might as well lose the poultry.  Although we still ate fish now and then, we thought of ourselves as vegetarians.

Finally, about twenty years ago, we decided that enough was enough, and we would make a clean sweep and stop eating anything that had to do with animals, including the eggs and dairy.

We found that this made us vegans, and that's how it's been.

Works for us.

The way I figure, even if somebody calls him/herself a vegetarian but still eats fish, at least the person isn't contributing to the nastiness that goes along with the raising and slaughtering of cattle, pigs, and chickens, so that's a step in the right direction.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2010 - 6:10PM #4
Ceren

Part of my family have been ranchers for generations... and then my aunt one day became lacto-ovo-vegetarian.  From where I come from (where people eat meat, and sometimes red meat, every day)  it was such an exotic thing to do!

So one time we were having a BBQ and one of the managers of one of the ranches did the cooking. So he happily tells me aunt..."oh... I know you're vegetarian... so I made this specially for you", and hands her a vegetable "sausage" with lamb casing!!!  My aunt's face was... priceless.

I'm trying to give up dairy but it's so hard... I love milk! I stopped eating cheese and now I'm doing one cup of soy milk and one cup of cow milk per day... I'm hoping to continue decreasing my cow milk.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2010 - 11:46PM #5
solfeggio

That is funny about the supposedly 'vegetarian' sausage in the lamb casing!  But, I'm not surprised, because it is amazing how many people don't really understand what vegetarianism is all about.  I don't know how many times I've had to explain myself at luncheons and dinners with various groups when I don't take some dish.

People are usually pretty nice about it, though, even if my behaviour mystifies them.

Good for you, cutting back on dairy!  One of the several reasons why our family lost the dairy was because we had read where the hormones in cow's milk can raise a person's risk of developing breast or prostate cancer:

www.thetruthaboutbreastcancer.com/2009/0...

www.dfwnetmall.com/veg/milkcancerprostat...

Then, we thought about the fact that humans are the only species that drinks milk after infancy (because milk is, after all, an infant food), and we are the only species that drinks the milk of another species.

Other factors that we considered when giving up dairy was what we had read about how the calves are taken away from their mothers at such an early age, to be made into veal, and how the mother cows call for their calves after they are taken away.

All of this seemed so cruel that we couldn't bear the thought of contributing to an industry that would cause this sort of suffering for an animal.

At any rate, when we added it all up, the short-term taste experience of eating a dairy product weighed against health risks and cruelty to animals just didn't seem worth it.  We've been dairy-free for many years now, and we have never missed it.

There are just too many artificial milk products around, and they taste just as good - or better - than the real thing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2010 - 2:59PM #6
bluehorserunning

I don't consider myself an actual vegetarian (because of the forementioned fish and poultry), but I sometimes tell people that I am because it keeps them from serving me meat of uncertain origin.  Sometimes I say 'I don't eat a lot of meat,' but then they think that they can push it: bacon in the salad, that sort of thing. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2010 - 12:37PM #7
d_p_m

Jun 12, 2010 -- 7:45AM, Ceren wrote:

Hello!

I've been surprised lately because I've met several people that call themselves vegetarian yet then say they eat fish

Thanks!

Ceren

Yes, there was a British study that was supposed to show differences between vegetarians and non-vegetarians. Someone quoted it here a couple of years back as part of her argument about vegetarians being more intelligent. Looking closely, one found that there were hundreds of vegetarians in the study who ate fish and poultry. I was suitably amused.

"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."

― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2010 - 6:12PM #8
Agnosticspirit

Hi Ceren, the correct term that describes this dietary choice is pescetarianism. In addition to fish (with scales) and shellfish, pescetarians eat dairy, eggs, grains, and veggies too!

A brief consult with the WIKI goddess.

P.S. I'm a part-time pescetarian. Innocent

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2010 - 5:58PM #9
world citizen

... we are the only species that drinks the milk of another species.

I'll agree that it certainly isn't the norm, but there have been known instances of lactating dogs feeding abandoned kittens and even baby squirrels.  I saw a photo once where a baby squirrel was suckling among the puppies just like another member of the litter.  It apparently had been 'adopted' because it also slept with the puppies.

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love. ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2010 - 6:05PM #10
world citizen

I've been surprised lately because I've met several people that call  themselves vegetarian yet then say they eat fish

One of my daughters and her family consider themselves vegetarians but they DO eat fish.  They won't eat crustaceans from the sea because that's considered meat.  I'm a roast beef and Yorkshire pudding person myself, and have occasionally jokingly chided this daughter as possibly not being from my gene pool.   I'd love, just once, to see the expressions of my grandchildren if they ever dove into a real Philly cheesesteak!

WinkLaughing

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love. ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook