Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View
Locked: No one's talking about this one!
4 years ago  ::  May 21, 2010 - 1:21PM #11
teilhard

I think part of the Issue is that The Procedure was done in a CATHOLIC Hospital ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 21, 2010 - 10:39PM #12
mytmouse57

The response is baffling. It's my understanding that although the RCC -- like many major religions -- opposes abortion, they still recognize exceptions, such as when the mother's life is clearly in danger. And in this case, Mom's life was clearly in danger. Nothing was done outside of Church rules. So, why the ex-communication?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 21, 2010 - 10:52PM #13
Lovey-Dovey

I think it must have something to do with the hierarchy's fear of loosing control....therefore rules become more entrenched and ironclad, and those in authority tend to clamp down even harder on those below them. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 21, 2010 - 11:17PM #14
mountain_man

May 21, 2010 -- 7:17AM, Lovey-Dovey wrote:

I appreciate all your knowlegeable and thoughtful responses to my query.  It's sooooo refreshing to find some thinking people (and especially Christians!) out there who don't just knuckle under to whatever the hierarchy dictates.  And thanks also, Mountain Man, for your reminder, of course you are right.  It's just that....you'd think the church would be the one place where women are no longer beaten down.....or anyone else for that matter.  Blessings all,

Many men are guilty of what you've said. That pisses off the rest of us.

Not just the various versions of the Christian religion, but others as well do  not treat women with much respect. The more liberal versions, they do alright, but I cannot think of one fundamentalist version of any religion (except maybe some Earth religions) that treat women very well. We have seen proof that at least one bishop believes it is more important for women to give birth than to live.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 22, 2010 - 12:08AM #15
jane2

May 21, 2010 -- 10:52PM, Lovey-Dovey wrote:

I think it must have something to do with the hierarchy's fear of loosing control....therefore rules become more entrenched and ironclad, and those in authority tend to clamp down even harder on those below them. 

LD

This is the essence for me and I have said exactly this.

Under our Pope John XXIII and a Council of world-wide bishops the RCC was to emerge into the world today. John Paul II could not abide this and he despised almost everything American--including the Church here with so many well-edeucated people--no more serfs here.

The Church in America is under great rigidity right now with bishops like Olmstead appointed by John Paul II. Many American Catholics are not buying it. We don't quite have a schism but it is a very divided Church here right now.

Good point.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 22, 2010 - 12:11AM #16
jane2

May 21, 2010 -- 1:02PM, REteach wrote:

Good for Sr. McBride!  Catholic sisters are often a lot more in touch with reality than some of their priestly counterparts, probably because they live more in the real world--which is why the Vatican is auditing them. 

Amen, RE............

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 22, 2010 - 4:03PM #17
Mlyons619

The issue in question of the OP is NOT a current "hot topic.  Please refer to the Local Guidelines for the HOT TOPICS ZONE."

this thread appears to be a more appropriate topic for the ABORTION DEBATE board.

Thanks,

mlyons619
Beliefnet Community Co-Host, HOT TOPICS ZONE

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 22, 2010 - 5:31PM #18
Mlyons619

May 22, 2010 -- 4:59PM, Lovey-Dovey wrote:

... I will review your guidelines to see what is considered to be 'hot' or not...

I believe that is something you should've done BEFORE creating your thread.  That's why those Local Guidelines were put there in the first place.  The move stands.

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 22, 2010 - 10:14PM #19
Justme333

This thread is now locked because while it is sort of about abortion, it is more about the Catholic Church.  It cannot go to the Catholic boards because it has to do with abortions, and the Catholic Church cannot be discussed on the abortion board.

Justme333
Beliefnet Community Host
Abortion Debate Board

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."  Will Rogers

"Give to those who ask, and don't turn away from those who want to borrow."  Matthew 5:42

"Charity is no substitute for justice withheld."         St. Augustine

"Your love for God is only as great as the love you have for the person you love least."  Dorothy Day

"If you want peace, work for justice." Pope Paul VI
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook