Switch to Forum Live View How do YOU Pay it Forward?
4 years ago  ::  May 19, 2010 - 7:13PM #1
Don
What are some of the charities and causes you support. Every day I highlight a new cause and I would like to know of causes others support.  What are some of the ways you pay it forward?

www.onewayeveryday.com
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 26, 2010 - 2:35PM #2
Mia_6

I saw an opportunity in the newspaper posted by the local elementary school needing mentors for kindergardners. You sat with them as they read to you, and you encourage them as they read with positive affirmations and properly pronouncing words they may not know. There was a strong pull for me to respond to that ad, and I'm glad I did. It has turned out to be the most rewarding thing for me, more so than I ever imagined. I look forward to my weekly meetings with "my boys." It is the highlight of my week, and makes my day seem so much brighter. They seem to enjoy it as much as I do. I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to do something that seems to enrich the lives of everyone involved. I absolutely love it!   

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 29, 2010 - 12:18PM #3
David

I firmly believe that charity begins at home...I help my neighbors, my good friends...I have made many donations to my church, although these days it consists of food and clothing...and I have been a Hotline counselor and have also volunteered with Easter Seals, the March of Dimes and the United Way...I love helping people as much as is practical.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2010 - 11:03AM #4
DotNotInOz

Much of what's been mentioned so far I regard as participation in organized charity efforts, not paying it forward as described in the book similarly titled.

Paying it forward to me means doing something for another person and requesting that they help another at some future time however seems appropriate and perhaps uniquely theirs. So, for instance, giving money to a friend who says s/he can't accept it because s/he could never repay that amount, you simply reply, "Oh, I don't expect you to repay me. Just pay it forward when you can do something to help another."

We don't typically give to or get involved with charities for various reasons, but we have on occasion initiated a "pay it forward" for friends or acquaintances. I very much prefer contributing to this informal network of good deeds expanding ever outward from the person who began it by doing someone an unexpected kindness.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2010 - 7:38PM #5
karbie

After my grandmother died, we donated her clothes to group affiliated with our church that tries to either give them to battered women or sell them with all proceeds going to help battered women. Her clothes were classic rather than "old woman"--but I inew that she would be pleased she was helping other women have clothes for job interviews and for just starting over.

She was never a battered woman herself, but you don't make  it to over 100 without ever seeing any.It helped all of us to know she would be making a final contribution to help others as she had done my whole life.

i used to volunteer at my son's elementary school by working in the library. I was surprised by how many of the women disliked or were afraid of reading out loud to the younger students--I loved it. I was trying to show the children that reading could be fun, trying to make sure we had more than one copy of the copy I was reading because the kids wanted the story I'd read, complete with the sound effects. Near the end of the school year, I had a boy come up and ask me for the book before i read it. I asked him how he knew he'd like it. He said that as long as I was the one who picke dout the book, it would be a funny one. Not bad for a 1st grader! We were out shopping a year after I'd stopped working in the library and I saw that child again--he was pulling on his mother going "It's the library lady!" I'd accomplished what I wanted the most--teaching children who were beginning to read that not every book they read was boring. I got positive feedback at the time from the children, and showing a group of 3 1st grade classes how much fun books were is something I hope they keep on with.

Of course the act that I can read both upside down and sideways for me so they could see the illustrations the whole time came in handy. I learned that running the Childen's Chapel for a few years, since the youngest children were 3. If they couldn't see the pictures the whole time, you couldn't keep their focus. The Grandma I was talking about played the piano in that same Children's Chapel when I was a child and she played the piano for me when she had told me the job was open and she really wanted me to do this for her.

If you really want the ultimate in paying it forward, be an organ donor. One of the boys who had been in the Children's Chapel with me--I can still see his face just shining, gathered around me withmy playing guitar.He was tone-deaf and I didn't say anything because he was singing with his whole heart.About a year after after that, he was riding a snowmobile and ran into a branch at full speed. His parents had strength I don't know if would have had in their place and donated everything that could help someone else. Seven people got new lives because of their unselfishness when they lost their only son. When the church expanded, the new library room carried his name.

I'm glad that they still had their daughters--but their ability to look beyond their own grief still stuns me. I'm listed as an organ donor--no sense in keeping parts I no longer need that could change someone else's lives.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 10:16AM #6
David

I am a regular blood donor to the Red Cross..give away lots of clothes to charity....and just have a kind word for everybody...

and I have included the Red Cross and the Crisis Ministries in my will..

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2010 - 12:33PM #7
Stardelta7

I contribute to local charities monetarily, give food to food banks, give clothing and often visit those in nursing homes or in the community who have no one to visit or talk with them.  Sometimes it is as simple as making telephone calls to someone who is unable to get out just to let someone know you care about them.  I also lend a listening ear to strangers when they seem distressed, or give extra cash at a cash register particularly when it is a military family who is running short on cash.  I live in a military town and I know that they for the most part active duty that are not commissioned officers do not make a heck of a lot more than minimum wage.  I talk with them about programs of public assistance for those young mothers to get vouchers for formula, and other foods infants and they need.  Opportunities present themselves everyday and formally I will finally go ahead after Christmas and I am back at home seek to become a volunteer for the Red Cross. I also encourage young adults to pursue their education, giving avenues to follow in order to do this in terms of not only getting good grades but getting money to send in that college application or getting money to pay to take the SAT.  All you have to do is keep your eyes open, your heart open and a willingness to hear and sometimes which I do routinely is try not to be rude but interject myself into an overheard conversation.  No I do not go around listening to what people are saying but if it is loud enough when people are distressed you hear it.  I do not suggest everyone do it and I do not do it all the time sometimes a situation means I  need to call the police and I have for accidents, volatile domestic situations or an individual that seems to be losing emotionally.  I let the professionals handle that.  I also pray with and for others and that is an ongoing daily process of Paying It Forward.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2010 - 10:53PM #8
Godsentfriend17

I LOVE volunteering with seniors!  Also give some clothes to Good Will.  Try to help ppl. when I can.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2011 - 1:56PM #9
BreinsAmnesty

Sep 5, 2010 -- 11:03AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Much of what's been mentioned so far I regard as participation in organized charity efforts, not paying it forward as described in the book similarly titled.

Paying it forward to me means doing something for another person and requesting that they help another at some future time however seems appropriate and perhaps uniquely theirs. So, for instance, giving money to a friend who says s/he can't accept it because s/he could never repay that amount, you simply reply, "Oh, I don't expect you to repay me. Just pay it forward when you can do something to help another."

We don't typically give to or get involved with charities for various reasons, but we have on occasion initiated a "pay it forward" for friends or acquaintances. I very much prefer contributing to this informal network of good deeds expanding ever outward from the person who began it by doing someone an unexpected kindness.

I agree. I just received some biblical scriptures from my best friend reminding me about not remembering her on her birthday which was X'mas Eve,and really insinuating about not sending her any money while being incarcerated&. First of all when I found out that she was incarcerared, her significant other and I were the first to send her some money but unfortunately as the latter months went on.... Her significant other could not afford any longer to help send her any money because of his financial situation. As Ellen DeGeneres says...A-N-Y-W-A-Y... My best friend wants me to feel guilty about her financial situation. So, not because I'm feeling guilty but because of your inspiring message about "Paying it forward," I'm going to send her some money and say "Oh, I don't expect you to repay me. Just pay it forward when you can do something to help another. I really appreciate your "New Year" message for me to extend one hand to help another to pass it on to help another.

"Happy New Year"

Blessed Wishes,

Breinsamnesty

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 24, 2011 - 12:30AM #10
Aries0466

I support 2 charities at the moment,but I will try to support more.

If you find in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook