Page 4 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Solar Powered Bibles to Haiti? Is this the right time ?
5 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2010 - 3:38PM #31
Agnosticspirit

I'm grateful for the efforts of the Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders. Their priorities result in the wise use of LIMITED cargo space, LIMITED transportation and LIMITED personnel.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2010 - 4:38PM #32
Erey

Jan 21, 2010 -- 3:38PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

I'm grateful for the efforts of the Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders. Their priorities result in the wise use of LIMITED cargo space, LIMITED transportation and LIMITED personnel.

OK but how do you know?  How do you know that each inch of space is up to your standards? If you looked in depth you might find that there are uses that you don't agree with. I know their intentions are good.

Still, at least they do and it seems the people of Haiti sincerely appreciate the efforts of Doc wo borders, Red CRoss and the various ministries.  I think the people of Haiti would find your sense of outrage a little peculiar.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 9:35AM #33
koolpoi

Perhaps this simply an effort to provide comfort and save the souls of the numerous dying.Given the severity of many injuries and the abysmal state of available treatment,many Haitians will be meeting their maker.If you believe your doctrine will insure their eternal bliss after a suffering life,it makes perfect sense to send the solar Bibles.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 10:20AM #34
Erey

They are burying alot of people in Haiti these days.  People are dealing with alot of death and loss.  Like it or not ( many of you DONT like it) Haitians are big believers, believers in christianity and depending on the person also believers in VooDoo.  They believe in God, afterlife, souls, etc.  If you just lost half a dozen people that you cared about and you were a believer you might find tremendous comfort and peace in the bible.  It is hard to rationalize denying that to people just because it does not jive with your 1st world agnostic values. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 10:23AM #35
Kwinters

Jan 22, 2010 -- 9:35AM, koolpoi wrote:

Perhaps this simply an effort to provide comfort and save the souls of the numerous dying.Given the severity of many injuries and the abysmal state of available treatment,many Haitians will be meeting their maker.If you believe your doctrine will insure their eternal bliss after a suffering life,it makes perfect sense to send the solar Bibles.

Since 96 percent of Haitians are Christians, aren't they 'saved' already?

If even 1 person dies because room was taken up with solar powered bibles instead of medicine is it worth it?

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 10:40AM #36
koolpoi

Some Christians consider many other Christians far from saved.Look at the comments of Pat Robertson and Wesley Stafford discussed in other threads.Haitian Christianity does meet their doctrinal standards.If one considers the fate of the eternal soul more important than the earthly life,the approach makes sense.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 1:35PM #37
Cesmom

About 50% of the people in Haiti can neither read nor write.  I am assuming 100% of them would like to eat and drink.  I can't imagine why any group would think now is an appropriate time to be sending solar bibles to Haiti when they have much more urgent needs.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 1:51PM #38
Erey

Jan 22, 2010 -- 1:35PM, Cesmom wrote:

About 50% of the people in Haiti can neither read nor write.  I am assuming 100% of them would like to eat and drink.  I can't imagine why any group would think now is an appropriate time to be sending solar bibles to Haiti when they have much more urgent needs.

becasue the bibles are AUDIO - for the people who are illiterate, and because they are solar - no electricity needed.

And because people are getting food and water to the Haitians as fast as they can.  In case you have not been following the news there is an almost global initiative getting basic survival items to these people. 

I don't want to deny someone who has just seen mass death and destruction a audio bible in thier own language.  The bible a book they revere and respect and has been very imporant in thier society. Something that provides a sense of peace and hope for people that have been devestated.

I am not saying it is the most important thing.  But is pretty much the ONLY thing this particualr ministry provides.  They are an audio bible ministry.  Other ministries provide different things - school supplies, food, education for birth control, vaccinations, etc. 

All those things are important.  You can't say that the bible is not important to the average haitian, especialy the poorest of the Haitians that are illiterate. 

I just think until you actually spend more than 10 minutes doing something for the Haitian peopel you have no right to be hyper critical. 

Not to mention, if you reallllllly wanted to be honest, you would realize that also some people are sending items like school supplies, crayons, paper, pencils.  This stuff is not going to keep anyone alive.  Some cargo vessels have toys in them, dolls, trucks, etc.  Some vessels have used clothing. 

The only reason people are being so hypercritical about the solar bibles is because of the pervasive anti-christian ministry sentiment on this board.  Because I can assure you would say zero about the crayons and dolls that are most certainly being sent. 

The only reason the solar audio bibles made the news is because it is something most people have never heard of and did not realize existed.  You are not going to hear about the bins of penciles and used T-shirts headed that way.  Nor will you hear about the toy cars and flip flops.  Not to mention the tons and tons of used books that are mostly  so out of date they are not going to be very helpfull to anyone.  We all know what that stuff is, not news worthy. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 4:47PM #39
Audiobible

Thanks for the spirited discussion surrounding this topic.  There's a lot of misinformation and speculation out there. 

First, this organization is not displacing ANY disaster relief supplies, none.  These audio bibles are still in the states being sent to a major disaster relief group who will deliver them in the coming weeks.  This group is transporting these down in three waves and distributing them to local pastors that they have established relationship with.

2d, this organization has been working with Haitians since 1986.  They aren't trying to save or proselytize anyone there.  Haiti is 90% Christian with many, many stories of these faithful people singing praises to God well into the night and praising God for what little they have left after this tragic earthquake.

FCBH's focus is on the poor and illiterate.  They work with the poorest of the poor in more than 150 countries around the world.

I'm sure there will be much more that people want to discuss.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 5:11PM #40
Audiobible

The Haitians we have heard from have said, "Thank you for the Bibles. Send more."

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook