Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Solar Powered Bibles to Haiti? Is this the right time ?
8 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2010 - 10:30PM #11
Erey

Jan 19, 2010 -- 10:19PM, Grinandbearit wrote:

I see your point, but I still say sell them and send food & water or money instead. If they can logistically get Bibles to them, they can get food & water to them.

May I ask who in the hickory heck is going to buy 600 audio books in CREOLE?  Are you aware of a market?  And they may have a sibiling ministry that distributes bibles along with other resources.  We don't know.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2010 - 10:54PM #12
Xristocharis

Two thoughts:

1) I agree that sending Bibles as a means to convert Haitians in the midst of this crisis is highly inappropriate, they need food, water and medical supplies. They need real help.

2) However, keeping in mind that Haiti is a largely Catholic nation and thus has a very sizeable Christian population it wouldn't be inappropriate for Christians in the process of ministering to their fellow Christians to give them Bibles, or to be with them and serving them in spiritual capacities in addition to feeding/clothing etc.

Of course the second thought is a hypothetical in this instance. I think it's highly offensive when certain churches choose to regard the already-existing Christianity in a region not good enough simply because it doesn't look like the Christianity in their little corner of the world. Some Christians, especially certain American Protestants, have a tendency to forget that Christianity isn't a white anglo-saxon affair and that Jesus didn't speak Jacobian English. Christianity existed in Africa, the Middle East and Asia long before it spread to Northern Europe and the British Isles. It is likely that there were Christians in India before there were Christians in Britain.

-Jon

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Hélder Câmara
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2010 - 10:58PM #13
Erey

This ministery called "faithbyhearing" is an audio bible ministry - that is what they do, their focus.  And they already sent the solar bibles so they were already in the works before the earthquake.  I don't know too many other places the bibles might have been sent if not Haiti, Guyana maybe is also creole speaking?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2010 - 9:25AM #14
Grinandbearit
Okay, you're right. No one's gonna buy those Bibles.
1Co 1:18  For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2010 - 9:52AM #15
Nepenthe

Can someone point to the section in the linked article that says that not one person from this Christian group has doanted money to a relief aid?  Or maybe I missed the part about how these people have colectively decided not to give any other aid what-so-ever and will only contribute to the donation of these bibles?

I couldn't find it, so I find it hard to jump to the conclusion that this is all the organization is doing.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2010 - 8:41AM #16
Marcion

Just when you think christians have exhausted all nitwittery - they pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2010 - 11:29AM #17
Erey

Jan 21, 2010 -- 8:41AM, Marcion wrote:

Just when you think christians have exhausted all nitwittery - they pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Really?, is it nitwit to provide audio Bibles in Creole to people that have no electricity and can't read?  Is that really so backasswards crazy????? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2010 - 12:57PM #18
Marcion

Jan 21, 2010 -- 11:29AM, Erey wrote:

Really?, is it nitwit to provide audio Bibles in Creole to people that have no electricity and can't read?  Is that really so backasswards crazy????? 

In my opinion - yes.

The people of Haiti need food, water, clothing, medical care, human comfort, you know what Jesus said in Mathew 25.

They don't need fairy tales.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2010 - 1:07PM #19
Erey

Jan 21, 2010 -- 12:57PM, Marcion wrote:

Jan 21, 2010 -- 11:29AM, Erey wrote:

In my opinion - yes.

The people of Haiti need food, water, clothing, medical care, human comfort, you know what Jesus said in Mathew 25.

They don't need fairy tales.

Nice, no comfort, nothing they might enjoy?  Just shut up and eat your rations?  LOL

to have 600 solar audio books in creole that were sent a few days ago they must have been ordered months ago.  It would take some time to make 600 solar audio books in a strange language like creole. 

so I ask you, should they simply not give the audio bibles that they already have?  Decide that this is too good for those people at this time?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2010 - 1:16PM #20
Agnosticspirit

The group distributing the solar powered bibles -- Faith Comes By Hearing -- is in partnership with an organization called Convoy of Hope... The Convoy of Hope is a REAL disaster relief organization --- delivering food, water and supplies to those in need. Kudos to the Convoy of Hope for their efforts!!

So, at least the bibles are being piggy-backed on more tangible needs, but....

/sarcasm on

I'm glad to know that needed cargo space for medicine is instead being co-opted by the solar powered bibles. I'm sure that those who are hungry, thirsty, wounded, and in need of medicine will understand.

/end sarcasm

I'm not without sympathy ---  spiritual comfort is a necessary component in dire times... but until food, water and medicine is accessible to everyone, passing out the solar powered bibles reeks more with self-serving gratification than charity.

Is it really too much to suggest that perhaps it would be in better taste to wait a few weeks.??

www.faithcomesbyhearing.com/convoy-hope-...

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook