Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Switch to Forum Live View Solar Powered Bibles to Haiti? Is this the right time ?
5 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2010 - 2:49AM #51
Merope

Hello to Hannerbet, Audiobible, and Holly 3278 Smile  Welcome to the Hot Topics Zone!

Merope
Beliefnet Community Host (1 of 8 :-)
Hot Topics Zone

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2010 - 11:34AM #52
Audiobible

Thanks for the welcome.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2010 - 11:58AM #53
Hannerbet

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2010 - 9:42AM #54
Agnosticspirit

Jan 22, 2010 -- 4:47PM, Audiobible wrote:

Thanks for the spirited discussion surrounding this topic.  There's a lot of misinformation and speculation out there. 

First, this organization is not displacing ANY disaster relief supplies, none.  These audio bibles are still in the states being sent to a major disaster relief group who will deliver them in the coming weeks.  This group is transporting these down in three waves and distributing them to local pastors that they have established relationship with.

2d, this organization has been working with Haitians since 1986.  They aren't trying to save or proselytize anyone there.  Haiti is 90% Christian with many, many stories of these faithful people singing praises to God well into the night and praising God for what little they have left after this tragic earthquake.

FCBH's focus is on the poor and illiterate.  They work with the poorest of the poor in more than 150 countries around the world.

I'm sure there will be much more that people want to discuss.  

Hello Audiobible, the google gods must have told you there was some heated discussion about this topic and a question of  your motives. Innocent I'm glad you joined Beliefnet so you could discuss this. You could have chosen to ignore the criticisim but chose to confront it. Well done!

Despite what SOME of your staunchest "defenders" :rollseyes  have claimed, my issue isn't so much with the distribution of Bibles, although that is not what I would choose to focus on. My critique  was primarily on the basis that badly needed medicine, food and water would be DISPLACED by your audio bibles. I'm glad you've clarified this matter.

I understand that everyone has their own coping mechanism when life hits you hard... Some folk build up their inner resources with god stuff, others meditate while others find refuge in art, nature, loved ones, animals, etc....

I'm also glad to know that your intentions are NOT to convert Haitians... Who are Catholic... I understand your PROTESTANT congregation is the Assembly of God? There's so many Protestant sects to keep track of, I don't know too much about the AoG... I'm heartened to hear you don't proselytize, but curious about the version of the Bible you send.  Can I assume your group is NOT one of those Protestant sects that claims Catholics aren't "real Christians"?

All this "not real Christian" nonsense has resulted in a lot of Christian on Christian violence for centuries... One of the primary movers behind our Constitutional separation of Church and State, but that's another thread.

Thanks again for stopping by,

AS

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 2:40PM #55
Agnosticspirit

It's a shame Audiobible didn't come back to answer any more questions. With so much horrible news coming out of Haiti, I honestly don't know how genuine the intentions of this group is, but in light of Haitian children being kidnapped amid all the chaos, I suppose concerns about this group will be placed on the back burner.

This thread has been moved from the Hot Topics Zone. Local guidelines and forum rules apply going forward.

agnosticspirit - Bnet Community co-host HTZ

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook