Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Solar Powered Bibles to Haiti? Is this the right time ?
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 5:16PM #41
Erey

Thanks Audiobible.

Great to have someone with a real connection to bring some clarity to the subject. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 5:42PM #42
Audiobible

Your welcome.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 6:17PM #43
Girlchristian

Jan 22, 2010 -- 4:47PM, Audiobible wrote:

Thanks for the spirited discussion surrounding this topic.  There's a lot of misinformation and speculation out there. 

First, this organization is not displacing ANY disaster relief supplies, none.  These audio bibles are still in the states being sent to a major disaster relief group who will deliver them in the coming weeks.  This group is transporting these down in three waves and distributing them to local pastors that they have established relationship with.

2d, this organization has been working with Haitians since 1986.  They aren't trying to save or proselytize anyone there.  Haiti is 90% Christian with many, many stories of these faithful people singing praises to God well into the night and praising God for what little they have left after this tragic earthquake.

FCBH's focus is on the poor and illiterate.  They work with the poorest of the poor in more than 150 countries around the world.

I'm sure there will be much more that people want to discuss.  

Thank you for this information.  I don't have a problem with the bibles being sent.  The organization's website says they wanted to send hope to those affected and I think that's a good intention.  The fact that others don't feel that the bible can offer that hope is irrelevant.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 6:42PM #44
Holly3278

I am just absolutely appalled that a Christian organization would choose to send Bibles instead of food, water, or money to these people who so desperately need the essentials.  How sickening.  And yes, I am a Christian.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 7:21PM #45
koolpoi

Many Haitians have been buried alive since the quake awaiting rescue or death.The high quality digital sound of these audio Bibles might be the only thing reaching them from the outside world.The words may offer comfort or strength while they wait in the dark.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 7:45PM #46
Ken

Jan 22, 2010 -- 7:21PM, koolpoi wrote:

Many Haitians have been buried alive since the quake awaiting rescue or death. The high quality digital sound of these audio Bibles might be the only thing reaching them from the outside world. The words may offer comfort or strength while they wait in the dark.

And mask any noise they might make that would let rescuers know they're there.

One farfetched scenario is as good as another.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 7:57PM #47
koolpoi

Ken makes a fair point but one person's faith is another's farfetched scenario.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 8:15PM #48
REteach

An interesting thing about Bibles is that most Christians  really do not read much of it.  You really need to know something about the Bible and where to find stuff, unless you want someone bogged down in the laws or Deuteronomy or the begats of Numbers.  The Bible readings in church tend to come from the Gospels, a few epistles and Acts, and Psalms.  

It would be interesting to me to know how these would be helpful in an emergency. It sure seems to me that you would not want to give them to someone who would not be able to find the parts that might provide or consolation and end up listening to Leviticus because it comes after Genesis.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 8:24PM #49
Hannerbet

As was already pointed out, Faith Comes by Hearing is not working alone. They are working in Haiti in conjunction with Convoy of Hope, a relief organization providing clean water and food. Convoy of Hope, awarded 4/4 stars by Charity Navigator along with Doctors Without Borders and other wonderful relief groups, already had a warehouse in Haiti that had recently been stocked prior to the earthquake hitting. This and the generosity of Believers around the world has already enabled them to distribute over 350,000 meals and install 30 water filters which will last for years to come. Currently an additional 1 million of pounds of food and supplies on their way to Haiti.

As a Believer, in the midst of anguish and terror I would cry out to my God and I would want to hear His Word. Giving them the audio Bible at this time while still helping to meet their physical needs is a wonderful thing. God's Word brings hope and peace within the storm. 

In response to the last comment, if I am not mistaken, the majority of the 'proclaimers' that are sent around the world contain the New Testament Scripture and not necessarily all of the Old Testament Scripture.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2010 - 8:45PM #50
koolpoi

It's unfortunate if the Proclaimers don't have the OT.This might be a good time for hearing the Book of Job.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook