Post Reply
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Solar Powered Bibles to Haiti? Is this the right time ?
5 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2010 - 7:49PM #1
Agnosticspirit
Posts: 9,244

Hi, I'm moving posts from another thread --"Sanjay Gupta, and doing right" because this digression may warrant its own discussion.


Jan 19, 2010 -- 6:09PM, Ken wrote:


Jan 19, 2010 -- 5:49PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

We've got Christians sending solar powered bibles instead of food and water . . .



What is a solar-powered Bible?



Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

 Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2010 - 7:51PM #2
Agnosticspirit
Posts: 9,244

Jan 19, 2010 -- 6:17PM, Erey wrote:


Jan 19, 2010 -- 6:09PM, Ken wrote:


Jan 19, 2010 -- 5:49PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

We've got Christians sending solar powered bibles instead of food and water . . .



What is a solar-powered Bible?




I am pretty sure none exist



Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

 Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2010 - 7:52PM #3
Agnosticspirit
Posts: 9,244

Jan 19, 2010 -- 6:17PM, Erey wrote:


Jan 19, 2010 -- 6:09PM, Ken wrote:


Jan 19, 2010 -- 5:49PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

We've got Christians sending solar powered bibles instead of food and water . . .



What is a solar-powered Bible?




I am pretty sure none exist




Er... Yes, Erey they DO exist... LINK HERE.


A group from Albequrque, NM is dispensing the "Proclaimer"....  that they opted to send bibles instead of cash, water, food, and shelter can only lead me to the conclusion that they've got their priorities screwed on bassackward.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

 Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2010 - 7:53PM #4
Agnosticspirit
Posts: 9,244

Jan 19, 2010 -- 7:00PM, Erey wrote:


Jan 19, 2010 -- 6:25PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:


Jan 19, 2010 -- 6:17PM, Erey wrote:


Jan 19, 2010 -- 6:09PM, Ken wrote:


Jan 19, 2010 -- 5:49PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

We've got Christians sending solar powered bibles instead of food and water . . .



What is a solar-powered Bible?




I am pretty sure none exist




Unfortunately, they do... LINK HERE.


A group from Albequrque, NM is dispensing the "Proclaimer"....  that they opted to send bibles instead of cash, water, food, and shelter can only lead me to the conclusion that they've got their priorities screwed on bassackward.


 




 


Ahh, electronic audio books.  Well you are assuming that is all they did, the article does not say they ONLY sent bibles.


Here is why I think they did more:


1. You don't pull 600 solar powered bibles that give you the bible in CREOLE out of your butt.  You just dont, that involves I would have to assume some long term planning to come up with 600 bibles in creole even in print - let alone solar powered audio. 


And if that church is ordering 600 solar powered bibles in creole then they probably already have a ministry in Haiti and the bibles are just a supplement to that ministry. 



Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

 Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2010 - 7:56PM #5
Agnosticspirit
Posts: 9,244

Jan 19, 2010 -- 7:00PM, Erey wrote:


 


 


Ahh, electronic audio books.  Well you are assuming that is all they did, the article does not say they ONLY sent bibles.


Here is why I think they did more:


1. You don't pull 600 solar powered bibles that give you the bible in CREOLE out of your butt.  You just dont, that involves I would have to assume some long term planning to come up with 600 bibles in creole even in print - let alone solar powered audio. 


And if that church is ordering 600 solar powered bibles in creole then they probably already have a ministry in Haiti and the bibles are just a supplement to that ministry. 




Why assume I assumed anything? Here's a Link to The MISSION statement of this group. The only thing they do is bibles. Imagine those who've been without food or water for days.... Here comes the UN or another branch of those come to aid.... Instead of water, the only thing they have to hand out are solar powered bibles? Really? Is this really the time for proselytizing? Really?

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

 Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2010 - 7:59PM #6
Agnosticspirit
Posts: 9,244

I can understand that according to the logic of some, this group truly believes that sending Bibles is in the spirit of helping. From what I understand, 80% of the population is Catholic.... Hope is very necessary.


But I'm trying to get my head around how helpful it is.... at this time.... when there's still logjams at available airports and  harbors, that food/medicine/water are still deperately needed...to take up valuable cargo space with bibles?


Would it hurt for them to hold off on this for a couple weeks?

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

 Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2010 - 8:52PM #7
Gwyddion9
Posts: 320

I think there are far greater needs than bibles, at this moment. I'll add that I'm not Christian and understand the mind set as to why BUT they have greater concerns and needs at this moment.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss


Let My Worship be within the heart that rejoiceth, for behold: all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals. And therefore let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you. Charge of the Goddess
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2010 - 9:41PM #8
Grinandbearit
Posts: 2,319

As a Christian, I am appalled that they would send Bibles instead of real aid. These people are desperate for doctors, medicine, food & water, and basic necessities. They want to eat- not read! Any books they got a hold of they would probably just use for toilet paper anyway, since they have none! They should have sold their solar Bibles and sent the money instead!

1Co 1:18  For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
1Co 1:27  But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
Co 2:14  But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1Co 3:19  For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2010 - 10:14PM #9
Erey
Posts: 18,386

well now, let's hold the phone!


First, I maintain if they have these high-tech, fancy, audio bibles in creole to send today then they ordered them some time ago - months at least. 


Second, the problem is getting the food and water to the people - the logistics not the issue of not having enough food and water to send.


 


These are the poor of a poor country, they speak Creole - not french, they can't really read and these solar bibles are made for people wo/electricity.  So these are the people that did not have electricity BEFORE the earthquake.   These are very poor people.  They don't have much in this world.  Whereas I personaly would prefer some nice red wine and the Jane Austen novels on my audio book I suspect that these people will positively  LOVE these bibles and probably would not think much of the classics.  It is hard to begrudge them this one luxury since it will be a very long time when they will have much of anything available except sustinence. 


If they already have these bibles to send now is a good a time as any to send them on.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2010 - 10:19PM #10
Grinandbearit
Posts: 2,319

I see your point, but I still say sell them and send food & water or money instead. If they can logistically get Bibles to them, they can get food & water to them.

1Co 1:18  For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
1Co 1:27  But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
Co 2:14  But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1Co 3:19  For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook