Switch to Forum Live View Happy birthday, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. What are you doing to honor his memory?
5 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2010 - 8:36AM #1
Jeanninehunter

Today is the birthday of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Monday is the official holiday in honor of the slain humanitarian. The day is also recognized in the United States as a day of service.

How about putting feet to prayer and honor King by helping Haiti?

“Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, ‘We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.’ As we prepare to honor Dr. King by serving on his holiday, let’s take those words to heart, and support the people of Haiti in this time of great need,” Nicola Goren, acting chief executive officer for the Corporation for National and Community Service, said in a message  posted online Thursday.

The Corporation for National and Community Service is coordinating with the State Department, USAID, FEMA, and other agencies as the United States responds to the crisis in the Caribbean nation where an estimated 50,000 people died due to a 7.0 magnitude earthquake.

I registered at the Center for International Disaster Information Web site where prospective volunteers can sign up and list their expertise for short-term and long-term assignments. And I plan to contact the Red Cross to renew disaster relief training I allowed to lapse.

A list of aid groups  working on the ground to provide medical care, access to safe water, shelter, energy supplies. For guidelines on how to help, visit Center for International Disaster Information and InterAction.

In 1964, King was the youngest man to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. He died in 1968 in Memphis where he was going to march to support striking sanitation workers. He was assassinated at the Lorraine Motel, now the National Civil Rights Museum.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2010 - 8:09AM #2
u.r.vibrant

Outstanding citizens of our world, such as Martin Luther King Jr., are exemplary beings. Honor can be given every day. I mentioned Martin Luther King Jr. in the modern version of Science and Health, a textbook on healing.

Healing Science Today Blog

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2010 - 12:09PM #3
Stardelta7

As I said in one of my post ACTION NOW is something that we can do daily in different ways.  In honoring Dr. King what he did  is a part of a way of living for me.  Advocate for that which is good, and right for anyone and do not forget to advocate for yourself.  In serving others as I put in my post we serve God and I believe Dr. King was about this. I say an additional prayer in his honor and I remind those too young to remember just how Far we have Come but yet have a Long way to go still as a nation as an American People. 

May God guide and bless us all as we go about this service to others and for ourselves. Amen

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2010 - 9:53AM #4
natureboy_the0

I honor MLK by living free and the messenger Jesus taught us to be which he made psooible for me to do.  

Are you questioning your beliefs, ask I AM THAT I AM to clarify them!
Elijah Alfred "NatureBoy" Alexander, Jr. presenting SEEDS OF LIFE
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook