Page 3 of 22  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Ohio Wants a Second Try at Executing Inmate - Your Thoughts?
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 6:28PM #21
rocketjsquirell

In general our system of punishment is ineffective and counterproductive. The death penalty is nothing more or less than state sanctioned murder. It does nothing to prevent or deter the behaviors for which it is used as a punishment. As it serves no purpose other than revenge and as such it should be abolished everywhere and in all ciurcumstances.

It would behove us to develop effective means to deter unwanted behaviors. It is unlikely in the revenge motivated society in which we live that we will ever do so.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 7:19PM #22
Merope

Dec 10, 2009 -- 3:32PM, TemplarS wrote:

What happened to Mr. Broom was  inexcusable,  and should not have happened.

However, what really makes me nauseous is reading about people such as Mr. Broom raping and killing 14 year old girls.  Do not ask me to feel sorry for Mr. Broom, when he is still walking around and Tryna Middleton is not.

Temp, one can -- as I do -- feel nauseous at what happened to both Broom and his victim.  One can feel sorrow and sadness for both. 

It's a not uncommon assumption in the national conversation about the death penalty that one can feel shock, sorrow, or sadness only at the plight of either the killer or the killer's victim, but never at the plight of both.  That's a false assumption.

That one can feel and express shame, sadness, and sorrow for the attempted botched execution of Broom in no way negates the heinousness of his crime.  It also in no way detracts from the shame, sadness, and sorrow for Middleton's rape and murder.

The reality is that the human ramifications of both capital murder and capital punishment are much, much more complicated than a simple either/or equation.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 7:32PM #23
Ironhold

In response to the OP -

From the standpoint of history, it could have been worse.

I am reminded of an incident which took place in the wake of the Nuremburg Trials. One of the Nazi officials who was convicted in the Trials was sentenced to death by firing squad. Unfortunately, the squad's first volley proved insufficient to kill him.

Rather, he bled to death while the men in charge of the execution sought counsel as to what they should do.

And don't get me started on good ol' hanging.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 8:00PM #24
Merope

The judge hearing Broom's case has granted a stay of execution.  Story here.

The judge ruled that Broom's lawyers have until January 8 to file a motion arguing that Broom should not face a second execution.  The judge also granted Broom an additional 30-day stay of execution from any ruling on that motion.  That 30-day delay will give Broom's lawyers more time to appeal if the judge rules that Ohio can go ahead with a second execution attempt.

By way of background on this case, Broom is the first condemned man in the US to leave his execution alive since 1946.  In 1946, the US Supreme Court ruled that Louisiana could go ahead with a second attempt to execute a prisoner after the failure of a first attempt to execute him by electric chair.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 8:26PM #25
Choiceofath

Listen..

When someone does something so horrible murder,rape,etc they deserve every ounce of pain.Why does the man deserve any mercy?Hes chosen to poison lives by commiting terrible actions.What if this man did something to one of your family members?Would your thoughts be changed then?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 8:37PM #26
Roodog

If an animal like a bear or a cat were to endanger  people by coming into  a neighborhood, the animal ought to be removed and placed in an isolated location. This some times does not work and the animal has to be euthanized. Before you go onto the speil about invading the Animal's habitat, Denver is not built in bear or cougar country, yet we have had these animals come into Denver and its adjacent suburbs. I have, in my own home, been serenaded at night by coyotes who were  in the gully across the street from my house.

When a person has been proved to have committed murder, and perhaps multiple murders the options are limited.

1. Lock him up in the general population endangering the other convicts.

2  Lock him in solitary confinement for the rest of his life which is unspeakably inhumane.

3. Euthanize the prisoner.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 8:42PM #27
mountain_man

Dec 10, 2009 -- 8:26PM, Choiceofath wrote:

Listen..

When someone does something so horrible murder,rape,etc they deserve every ounce of pain.Why does the man deserve any mercy?...

He is human.

WWJD?

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 8:44PM #28
Roodog

Dec 10, 2009 -- 8:42PM, mountain_man wrote:

Listen..

When someone does something so horrible murder,rape,etc they deserve every ounce of pain.Why does the man deserve any mercy?...

He is human.

WWJD?

If the prisoner would not accept mercy, Jesus would judge him with utmost severity.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 8:45PM #29
Choiceofath

Dec 10, 2009 -- 8:42PM, mountain_man wrote:

Listen..

He is human.

WWJD?

So your saying since hes human hes entitled to rape and murder?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 8:47PM #30
mountain_man

Dec 10, 2009 -- 8:37PM, Roodog wrote:

If an animal like a bear or a cat were to endanger  people by coming into  a neighborhood...

Are you comparing the value of a human life to that of a cat? No one is arguing that the guy should EVER go free. Humane incarceration for the rest of his life would do just fine.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 22  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook