5 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2009 - 12:22PM #1
Kwinters

A woman who is pregnant is diagnosed with an aggressive cancer.  Treatment would require her to undergo an abortion.  Delaying treatment until after giving birth would hasten her death.

Is abortion acceptable in this situation?

Why?  Why not?

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2009 - 1:27PM #2
Damianaraven

Is it acceptable? Of course it is. Aggressive cancer has been shown to be bad for the body and everything parked inside it. Get the poor little fetus out of harm's way lest it be born with a tumor for a leg.

I can't wait to see what whackaloonies might say no to this. Even the more devout pro-lifers feel that the mother's life takes precedence over the baby's.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2009 - 1:42PM #3
Mmichael

Nov 4, 2009 -- 12:22PM, Kwinters wrote:

A woman who is pregnant is diagnosed with an aggressive cancer.  Treatment would require her to undergo an abortion.  Delaying treatment until after giving birth would hasten her death.

Is abortion acceptable in this situation?

Why?  Why not?

[/quote
Mmichael:

I think I know what you mean by "acceptable", but "acceptable" or "not acceptable" is really irrelevant. The decision should be the woman's alone. She may want to discuss the situation with her husband/partner, other family members, friends, her clergyperson, or someone who has been in a similar situation. But, the decision should be hers and hers alone. If anyone responds that an abortion in this situation is "not acceptable" and should be "illegal", I hope they explain very clearly why someone other than the woman herself should make this very personal decision.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook