Page 1 of 26  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Controlling women's bodies through discourse
5 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2009 - 10:56AM #1
Kwinters

Ever notice how the discourse of the against-abortion movement is insulting to women? 

Instead of being honest and  just baldly stating that they want the state to impose their personal value system on everyone else, regardless of individual rights of conscience, they degrade women.

By making women the problem they attempt to identify a gap where the state must enter into women's private lives in order to save them from themselves.

Examples of how the against-abortion movement makes women out to morally incapable, sluttish and unintelligent:

Abortion is no longer primarily an act of teenage desperation; instead, more and more it is the calculated choice of adults unwilling to accept responsibility for their behavior. Abortion is becoming more "rare" among the nation's teens, but a larger percentage of women in their mid to late 20s -- women who are supposed to be responsible, mature and informed -- are, to put it bluntly, using abortion as a form of birth control.

In summary, over the past couple of decades, abortion has enabled women to engage in sexual activity without marriage or any other commitment

www.cwfa.org/articles/10589/BLI/dotcomme...

If a woman seeking an abortion really knew all the risks involved, would she still get one?...Evidence suggests that in reality, women are not "fully and accurately informed" of the risks of abortion.

www.calright2life.org/informedconsent.ht...

Virginia Foley, 76, of Slayton, says she opposes abortion under any circumstances. She says the 24-hour waiting period is a good bill that would give women enough time to think about the procedure. "I think it's necessary to give, especially young girls, time to think it over and realize what they're doing. I don't think they realize that it's murder," she said.

news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/...

So, in summary, instead of just being honest that the are authoritarians who want to trample and destroy the rights to privacy of those who disagree with them on the issue of abortion, the against-choice  movement demonizes women by portraying them as incompetent, incapable, irresponsible, ignorant and sluttish.

Editied to reflect the Local Board Guidelines.

Moderated by Marysara722 on Oct 14, 2009 - 07:15PM
Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2009 - 11:07AM #2
mountain_man

Oct 14, 2009 -- 10:56AM, Kwinters wrote:

Ever notice how the discourse of the against-abortion movement is insulting to women?

Even when it comes from women. It's all part of the ego trip that makes up the base of the PL platform.

So, in summary, instead of just being honest that the are authoritarians who want to trample and destroy the rights to privacy of those who disagree with them on the issue of abortion, the against-choice  movement demonizes women by portraying them as incompetent, incapable, irresponsible, ignorant and sluttish.

They do so in order to get a feeling of superiority. They need to believe they are better than others and they desperately need people to look up to them as being better. It's obvious from their rhetoric that they care nothing about women or even the fetus.

Edited to reflect the Local Guidelines.

Moderated by Marysara722 on Oct 14, 2009 - 07:17PM
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2009 - 11:16AM #3
Bei1052

It's a heck of a lot easier to tell others what it is they believe then to actually debate what others type out. You know, I think I'm gonna' start trying that one day.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2009 - 11:47AM #4
Tolerant Sis

Shouldn't be hard for you, Bei, since you do it with every post.

First amendment fan since 1793.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2009 - 1:04PM #5
Zef

Oct 14, 2009 -- 11:07AM, mountain_man wrote:

Even when it comes from women. It's all part of the ego trip that makes up the base of the PL platform.

They do so in order to get a feeling of superiority. They need to believe they are better than others and they desperately need people to look up to them as being better. It's obvious from their rhetoric that they care nothing about women or even the fetus.

I believe that humans while in the womb deserve just as much protection as everybody else. And I believe that because I believe I am equal to them even out of the womb. And whatever affect that has on the men and women that kill humans with abortion is incidental.

Editied to reflect Local Guidelines.

Moderated by Marysara722 on Oct 14, 2009 - 07:19PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2009 - 1:44PM #6
Kwinters

Oct 14, 2009 -- 1:04PM, Zef wrote:

Ever notice how the discourse of the against-abortion movement is insulting to women?

So, in summary, instead of just being honest that the are authoritarians who want to trample and destroy the rights to privacy of those who disagree with them on the issue of abortion, the against-choice  movement demonizes women by portraying them as incompetent, incapable, irresponsible, ignorant and sluttish.

I believe that humans while in the womb deserve just as much protection as everybody else. And I believe that because I believe I am equal to them even out of the womb. And whatever affect that has on the men and women that kill humans with abortion is incidental.

I wasn't asking for your opinion - I was asking people to analyze the ways in which women are portrayed by the movement against abortion and mentally unstable, mentally incapable, mentally deficient and sexually promiscuous as a justification for using governmental powers to physically force their moral opinions unto others.

Edited - LBGs

edited by justme333 to conform to local guidelines for this board

Moderated by Justme333 on Oct 14, 2009 - 10:25PM

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2009 - 1:52PM #7
Iwantamotto

I don't understand how abortion makes women more promiscuous.  After all, how many women have their own scout troop worth of kids at home because they just couldn't stop having sex?  Heck, in the Dear Abby stuff, you see occasionally someone with just triplets (TRIPLETS, WHERE YOU KNOW IT CAME FROM ONE ACT) get accosted by people wondering if they'd keep it in their pants now.

Women are always going to be the sluts and the men who knocked them up are always going to be the poor financial victims who suddenly have to pay for their activities.  *shrugs*

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2009 - 3:13PM #8
Zef

Oct 14, 2009 -- 1:44PM, Kwinters wrote:

Oct 14, 2009 -- 1:04PM, Zef wrote:

I wasn't asking for your opinion - I was asking people to analyze the ways in which women are portrayed by the movement against abortion and mentally unstable, mentally incapable, mentally deficient and sexually promiscuous as a justification for using governmental powers to physically force their moral opinions unto others.

Like I said, they don't. The women and men that kill the humans that are in the womb with abortion are incidental to goal of the movement against abortion, which is to protect the humans that are in the womb from being killed with abortion.

Edit-LBG

edited by justme333 to conform to local guidelines for this board

Moderated by Justme333 on Oct 14, 2009 - 10:32PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2009 - 3:18PM #9
Bei1052

Oct 14, 2009 -- 11:47AM, Tolerant Sis wrote:

Shouldn't be hard for you, Bei, since you do it with every post.

I do? Really? Care to, you know, find examples. Good luck with that, because you're going to need it.

And to someone else's post: Abortion lowers the, for lack of a better word, marginal cost of engaging in sex. Therefore, people are more apt to engage in it more freely than they would if abortion wasn't available, as the consequences of doing so aren't nearly what they would be in the absence of readily available abortion.

...Also, blatant generalizations and outright misrepresentations of one's positions are bad. So is reading only what you want to read and ignoring the rest.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2009 - 3:20PM #10
Kwinters

Oct 14, 2009 -- 1:52PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

I don't understand how abortion makes women more promiscuous.  After all, how many women have their own scout troop worth of kids at home because they just couldn't stop having sex?  Heck, in the Dear Abby stuff, you see occasionally someone with just triplets (TRIPLETS, WHERE YOU KNOW IT CAME FROM ONE ACT) get accosted by people wondering if they'd keep it in their pants now.

Women are always going to be the sluts and the men who knocked them up are always going to be the poor financial victims who suddenly have to pay for their activities.  *shrugs*

I think the logic is that women would take things more seriously (read, have less sex) if they didn't have abortion as an option.

It's basically the 'pregnancy as punishment for having sex' thesis.

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 26  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook