Switch to Forum Live View remember that Gallup poll...?
5 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2009 - 8:10PM #1
bluehorserunning

I believe that my comment at the time was, ' it's a blip.'

swampland.blogs.time.com/2009/08/13/abou...

www.gallup.com/poll/122033/U.S.-Abortion...

*snort*

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2009 - 8:30PM #2
Tolerant Sis

Of course.  Women just aren't stupid enough to put their lives and their daughters' lives into the hands of a 'prolife' minority who believes that you can't believe in birth control to be considered 'prolife'.  The most telling part of this is that 60% of those identifying as 'prolife' believe abortion is justified in some circumstances.

Heh, like when their 17 year old daughter or their underage girlfriend is preggers, I guess.

First amendment fan since 1793.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2009 - 12:52AM #3
Bei1052

You ummm... Didn't actually read what you posted, did you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2009 - 1:50AM #4
bluehorserunning

swampland.blogs.time.com/2009/08/13/abou...

quote:

Now along comes a follow-up poll from Gallup and whaddya know, the much ballyhooed pro-life majority seems to have disappeared. The percentages of Americans calling themselves "pro-life" and "pro-choice" are essentially the same (47% for pro-life; 46% for pro-choice). Meanwhile, the positions they hold--a more useful indicator than the labels people choose for themselves--haven't budged. A solid 78% think abortion should be legal in some or all circumstances. 

I'm with Mark Silk, who thinks that the most interesting finding is that approximately 60% of those who describe themselves as "pro-life" believe that abortion should be legal in at least some circumstances. Anti-abortion activists would say they're not really pro-life, just like they insist that politicians like Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio) who support the use of contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancies should not be described as pro-life. But clearly many Americans are comfortable thinking of themselves as "pro-life" and at the same time holding the belief that abortion should be legal. Now that's a story.

www.gallup.com/poll/122033/U.S.-Abortion...

quote:

PRINCETON, NJ -- A mid-July USA Today/Gallup survey finds 47% of Americans calling themselves "pro-life" and 46% "pro-choice." This is less positive for the "pro-life" position than was true in a Gallup survey in May. However, both 2009 readings show more Americans labeling themselves "pro-life" than has been the case in recent years....the one-point advantage for "pro-life" in the July 2009 survey is not statistically significant.)

The point being that some sort of enormous regime change, as implied by the submitter of the original poll, is not happening.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2009 - 2:51PM #5
Bei1052

You ummm... Still didn't read the link, didja'? I mean, all you've got to do is click on the link, read page 1, click the link to page 2 and then read that one. How hard can that really be?

Anywho, I'd totally love to know what you're snorting at. Furthermore, I'd really like to know what you're calling a "blip". To do that, you'd have to be ignoring long-term trends and, funnily enough, page 2 has just those trends for you to see (Haven't we been over this exact same thing before?). Buuut... I guess anything to make you feel better :P

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2009 - 3:52PM #6
bluehorserunning

I'd like to invite everyone to read the full text of both of the links I posted, just as Bei suggests.  :)  Decide for yourselves what you think of the data.  For those of you who don't already knowgallup is good (certainly not as bad as zogby) but not entirely neutral.  However, that's not the point; the point is that even the gallup poll, even the full text that gallup has posted on its site, doesn't agree with Bei's interpretation of it.

Oh, and just for fun: pro-life states have higher abortion rates.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 2:20AM #7
Bei1052

Aug 15, 2009 -- 3:52PM, bluehorserunning wrote:

I'd like to invite everyone to read the full text of both of the links I posted, just as Bei suggests.  :)  Decide for yourselves what you think of the data.  For those of you who don't already knowgallup is good (certainly not as bad as zogby) but not entirely neutral.  However, that's not the point; the point is that even the gallup poll, even the full text that gallup has posted on its site, doesn't agree with Bei's interpretation of it.

I have a serious question: Do you *try* to be purposely dishonest? Read the data. It's your conclusion which isn't supported by any amount of evidence. Oh well, since you ignored it the first time, let's try this again.

Concerning the question, "Do you think abortion should be legal under any circumstance, legal only under certain circumstances or illegal in all circumstances":

As of September 22 - 24, 1995, 31% said it should be legal under any circumstance, 54% said it should be legal only under certain circumstances, 12% said it should be illlegal in all circumstances and 3% had no opinion. Today, 21% believe it should be legal under any circumstance, 57% believe it should be legal only under certain circumstances, 18% believe it should be illegal in all circumstances and 4% have no opinion.

Concerning the question, "Do you think abortion should be legal in most circumstances or only a few circumstances":

As of September 22 - 24, 1995, 31% said abortion should be legal under any circumstances, 14% said it should be legal under most circumstances, 39% said it should be legal in only a few, 12% said it should be legal in all circumstances and 4% had no opinion. Today, 21% says abortion should be legal under any circumstances, 13% says it should be legal under most circumstances, 42% says it should be legal in only a few, 18% says it should be legal in all circumstances and 6% have no opinion.

Concerning the question, "With respect to the abortion issue, would you consider yourself to be pro-choice or prolife":

As of September 22 - 24, 1995, 56% considered themselves pro-choice, 33% considered themselves pro-life and 11% either didn't call themselves anything, didn't know what the terms meant or had no opinion. Today, 46% consider themselves pro-choice, 47% consider themselves pro-life and and 7% either don't call themselves anything, don't know what the terms means or have no opinion.

Link

So, I ask you once again, what "blip" are you talking about?

Oh, and just for fun: pro-life states have higher abortion rates.

A.) You're joking. Did you not even read your own link? o_O

B.) Here's the abortion rate by state (Link). I even took the liberty of ordering them by abortion rate, starting at the state with the highest and working my way down.

1.) New York: 38.2
2.) New Jersey: 34.3
3.) Maryland: 31.5
4.) Delaware: 28.8
5.) California: 27.1
6.) Nevada: 27.0
7.) Florida: 26.8
8.) Connecticut: 23.6
9.) Hawaii: 21.8
10.) Massachusetts: 19.9
11.) Michigan: 19.4
11.) Rhode Island: 19.4
13.) Illinois: 18.9
14.) North Carolina: 18.8
15.) Kansas: 18.4
16.) Oregon: 17.7
17.) Washington: 17.5
18.) Texas: 17.3
19.) Virginia: 16.5
20.) Georgia: 16.3
21.) Colorado: 16.1
22.) Arizona: 16.0
23.) New Mexico: 15.7
24.) Ohio: 14.9
25.) Tennessee: 14.4
26.) Pennsylvania: 13.8
27.) Alaska: 13.6
28.) Minnesota: 12.7
29.) Alabama: 11.9
30.) Louisiana: 11.7
30.) Montana: 11.7
30.) New Hampshire: 11.7
30.) Vermont: 11.7
34.) Iowa: 10.6
35.) Maine: 10.5
36.) North Dakota: 9.6
37.) Oklahoma: 9.5
38.) Nebraska: 8.9
39.) Indiana: 8.6
40.) Wisconsin: 8.5
41.) Arkansas: 8.3
42.) South Carolina: 7.9
43.) Missouri: 6.9
44.) West Virginia: 6.7
45.) Utah: 6.4
46.) Idaho: 6.1
47.) South Dakota: 5.1
48.) Mississippi: 4.9
49.) Kentucky: 4.4
50.) Wyoming: 0.7

So just what the heck are you talking about?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 11:22AM #8
karbie

I wonder where Gallop decided to put the people who refused to do their poll, or only agreed to do part of it. Probably either listed them as "don't know" or didn't count them, but excluding how many people turned them down could skew the results one way or another.  I've been stuck doing surveys for work before, and the odds of anyone willing to take the survey ran about one out of every 5 people I called. Only completed surveys were counted.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 10:06PM #9
bluehorserunning

I stand by my prior recommendation - read the links for yourselves, rather than listening to Bei's (or my) analysis. 

I definitely screwed up on the link on abortion rates - I *did* read it quickly, but unfortunately reversed the words in my head and applied everything said about 'pro-life' to 'pro-choice.'

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook