Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Overpopulation And Abortion
5 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2009 - 4:22PM #1
Eat Cake

Hi All

I have been wondering how abortion will be effected in the coming decades as the population of the world becomes increasingly unmanageable for our planet.

Is the planet going to cull the population or are we.

I feel we must make some pretty hard choices in the coming years lest mother earth make them for us.

Now, I'm certainly not advocating abortion but maybe world wide contraceptives?

I wonder from a PL stand point if contraceptives are as bad as abortion.

What do the PL movement have planned if anything for the upcoming years.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2009 - 3:33PM #2
bluehorserunning

Overpopulation cannot continue forever.  Either we will start to control our own population (hopefully with birth control), or we will run out of food/ die from the accumulation of our own waste/ get wiped out en masse by some pathogen that takes advantage of dense populations.  Just like any other animal that overpopulates itself. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2009 - 6:10PM #3
Eat Cake

I believe we are coming to a new age of abortion.

It's logical that as our planet increases in size exponentially so will abortion.

But as we reach this saturation point of humans on Earth I can only assume abortion rates will exceed the population rates.

I believe this is because there is not enough initiative for contraceptives due to the old beliefs of the Catholic Church and others.

Can PLers really believe making abortions illegal will in any way stem the coming tide?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2009 - 6:14PM #4
Bei1052

Oi vey. The earth isn't "overpopulated", as there is no such thing as "overpopulation"-- Only a mismanagement of resources, and no amount of birth/population control will ever fix that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2009 - 9:01PM #5
Eat Cake

Jul 10, 2009 -- 6:14PM, Bei1052 wrote:

Oi vey. The earth isn't "overpopulated", as there is no such thing as "overpopulation"-- Only a mismanagement of resources, and no amount of birth/population control will ever fix that.

The human race is not about to hold hands sing kumbaya and live in eco communes any time soon.

Even if we as a planet reduced our pollution (all kinds) by 10% most would agree it wouldn't be enough.

It has never been in our nature as a species to be perfectly in tune with nature.

And if this is your solution then we will be long dead before it comes to pass.

There is no question the world needs to take drastic measures in the environment but they will pale with the pollution the pop explosion contributes in the coming years.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2009 - 9:16AM #6
dsfin

Jul 10, 2009 -- 9:01PM, Eat Cake wrote:

Jul 10, 2009 -- 6:14PM, Bei1052 wrote:

The human race is not about to hold hands sing kumbaya and live in eco communes any time soon.

Even if we as a planet reduced our pollution (all kinds) by 10% most would agree it wouldn't be enough.

It has never been in our nature as a species to be perfectly in tune with nature.

And if this is your solution then we will be long dead before it comes to pass.

There is no question the world needs to take drastic measures in the environment but they will pale with the pollution the pop explosion contributes in the coming years.

And Chicken Little said the sky is falling...

China started mandatory abortion 18 years ago and now there are 9 to 1 extra boys. What a mess!

Whenever we take on God's job, it turns to disaster.

We could take the whole world's population and put them in the western part of USA with 20 acres a piece.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2009 - 7:14PM #7
Tmarie64

So, you think, dsfin, that there are 120 BILLION acres in the western US????

If you believe that I want some of what you're smoking.  

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2009 - 9:46PM #8
dsfin

Jul 11, 2009 -- 7:14PM, Tmarie64 wrote:

My bad...

That was meant to be 2 acres

4 million sq miles in USA, with 640 acres in a sq mile

When God thinks it is overpopulated, He can send another flood.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2009 - 3:44AM #9
bluehorserunning

Jul 11, 2009 -- 9:46PM, dsfin wrote:

China started mandatory abortion 18 years ago and now there are 9 to 1 extra boys. What a mess!

*snort*

well, that gives us a good idea of how seriously we need to take you; it's currently ~120/100, not 9/1. www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5953508

furthermore, China's 'one child' policy is a little bit more complex than 'mandatory abortion.'  While it is draconian and tragic, using it as a specious argument against birth control and population limitation is not an honest tack.

Whenever we take on God's job, it turns to disaster.

Oh, you mean modern health care is a disaster?  Modern aviation is a disaster?  Predicting tsunamis after earthquakes is a disaster? Space flight is a disaster?  All of those things were once seen as 'god's purview only.'

We could take the whole world's population and put them in the western part of USA with 20 acres a piece.

Aside from the mathematical blunder, overpopulation has very little to do with lack of space.  That is another specious argument.

'If god wanted humans to fly, he would have given us wings...'

'If god wants my child to live, he will cure her of the spinal meningitis that is killing her...'

Faith in gods end when people really start to give a damn about the consequences.  The fact that you're willing to leave this issue up to your god shows that you're either uneducated about the significance or extremely callous about the impoverished people who will bear the brunt of the problems associated with overpopulation (and global climate change as well - what a surprise if you feel the same way about that).

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2009 - 6:50AM #10
Tmarie64

Jul 11, 2009 -- 9:46PM, dsfin wrote:

Jul 11, 2009 -- 7:14PM, Tmarie64 wrote:

My bad...

That was meant to be 2 acres

4 million sq miles in USA, with 640 acres in a sq mile

You said in the WESTERN U.S.  So now, are you backpedaling?  Did you OVERSPEAK?  Or was it just an outright lie?

God promised no more flood... or didn't you read that part?

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook