Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Locked: abortion is a blessing
5 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2009 - 12:15AM #1
bluehorserunning

...along the same lines as other life, health, and (yes) 'convenience' saving medical procedures as heart surgery, appendectomy, or gastric bypass surgery.

blogs.telegraph.co.uk/damian_thompson/bl...

quote:

When a woman finds herself pregnant due to violence and chooses an abortion, it is the violence that is the tragedy; the abortion is a blessing.

When a woman finds that the fetus she is carrying has anomalies incompatible with life, that it will not live and that she requires an abortion - often a late-term abortion - to protect her life, her health, or her fertility, it is the shattering of her hopes and dreams for that pregnancy that is the tragedy; the abortion is a blessing.

When a woman wants a child but can't afford one because she hasn't the education necessary for a sustainable job, or access to health care, or day care, or adequate food, it is the abysmal priorities of our nation, the lack of social supports, the absence of justice that are the tragedies; the abortion is a blessing.

And when a woman becomes pregnant within a loving, supportive, respectful relationship; has every option open to her; decides she does not wish to bear a child; and has access to a safe, affordable abortion - there is not a tragedy in sight -- only blessing. The ability to enjoy God's good gift of sexuality without compromising one's education, life's work, or ability to put to use God's gifts and call is simply blessing.

I am not religious, but I agree wholeheartedly with this woman's words and feeling.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2009 - 9:27AM #2
Cesmom

I agree that it is a positive thing that women have access to a safe, affordable abortion if they deem it necessary in their situation.  There's one line in that blog that I completely disagree with, though...

"decides she does not wish to bear a child; and has access to a safe, affordable abortion - there is not a tragedy in sight -- only blessing."

There is a tragedy in that last situation.  The tragedy is that the pregnancy happened in the first place.  With the exception of a small percentage of failure, proper use of birth control would have been much less tragic.  I can't agree that the last situation includes no tragedy...it does.  You could add lack of birth control to the list of tragedies in the third situation as well.  Pregnancy prevention should always be preferred over abortion, and failure to prevent a pregnancy that was not wanted is absolutely a tragedy.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2009 - 10:38AM #3
lAuR1987

I agree with Cesmom...elective abortion means that a woman got pregnant who did not wish to be. This is problematic and we on both sides have to address why that is...a birth control access issue? etc

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2009 - 11:41AM #4
Luvofjesue

Coming from a woman who made the terrible mistake of having an abortion 20 yrs ago. I often look back on that situation being a born again Christian.

Abortion should not be used as a form of Birth Control. I feel that is the easiest cop-out ever. I often think what my child could have or would have looked liked. What he or she would be doing at this point. What great things the lord may have had in store for them that I the creator of nothing robbed this child to be. We misunderstand that "we" do not create any, and I mean any life what so ever. If God allows a child to come of the womb, that is by his doings and not ours.

10 years ago, my husband and I prayed for a son. Thank god we did get pregnant with a son. We were so excited we were in stitches. As I began to proceed in my term of pregnancy, I noticed a problem. I began to spot and unfortunately I had the tearful and heart wrenching experience of delivering a still born baby boy. I have not been able to get pregnant since.

Why did I share this experience? I thought about God and how he works mysteriously. I though about the abortion I have had years before and how I may have robbed the lord of one of his profits, ministers, exhorters, teacher's. I thought about how he may have felt when I laid on that table with "quack doctors", (oh I forgot to mention the fact of how I almost died from the abortion two weeks after due to fetus remains that were left in my uterus) In saying that, I now knew how it felt to have something taking away from me that was meant to be here.

Pregnancy by an act of violence, I can't comprehend the experience, but if the lord allows that being to become life, it was in his will not ours.

Be Blessed ;-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2009 - 12:51AM #5
karbie

I agree with most of the quotation, but I do feel it's tragic to have a late term abortion if there is no medical problem. I think that decision should have been made preferably before a pregnancy occurred or as early into that pregnancy as possible. This is precisely the type of case the PL camp cites as being the main reason for late term abortions, when it certainly isn't.

You have just confirmed exactly what my doctor meant about my first pregnancy. Mine was around 25 years ago and my doctor confirmed the pregnancy and told me that there was nothing we could do to have it end with a baby if I spent the next months in bed on the same visit because I had been having the heavy spotting. I'd had a bad fall and no idea I was at most a week pregnant and due to injuries and medication, and all of the x-rays that had been taken in that area it wasn't a case of IF I miscarried but when it would happen. Then he told me that if I tried to keep on carrying it, there was a very high risk that I would never be able to get pregnant again. the longer I waited, the more internal damage could go, up to needing a hysterectomy. He gave me a referral to a clinic to set up an abortion. Thank God it was legal up to 8 weeks in Indiana then. They still put a minimum 3 day waiting period between the call and the appointment.

I'm pro-choice, but I didn't ever expect to face an abortion myself. I "lucked out" --if you can call it that--by miscarrying before the appointment. I'd been passing small bits of tissue the whole time. So I honestly do understand how painful looking back can be. My real fortune came when I got pregnant as soon as we gave up trying after 18 months. It roughly figures that I got pregnant a few days after I'd taken Civil Service tests and I was in the maternity brace by then--wore it for 8 months.

I truly believe that your son and his spirit are where the Lord wanted them to be. I don't believe God would send a soul to a pregnancy that wasn't going to succeed. I know how shattered I was when this happened to me. What happened with your son is so much worse and it's hard to think about it.  I KNOW that God has forgiven you for the abortion; try to learn to forgive yourself. Have you tried being foster/adoptive parents or legal guardians to children stuck in Children's Services? You and your husband sound like you have a lot of love and guidance to shape another child's life who needs you.

I have daily reminders because the injuries from the fall will always be with me. My son is getting married this year to a lovely girl who is the same age my other child would have been. I don't know the sex of mine; it was 27 below outside, and it was between 2-4 AM--somehow I wasn't watching the clock just then. I couldn't have handled knowing that anyway.

There are many grief support and different religous communities here. We're going to be more argumentative here than the support forums, but away from the debate areas you will find many warm, caring and supportive people here. It's okay to vent and get things out; we all do--and no one will do anything but try to be there for you and help you if they can.

I'm not trying to say you can't be on a debate forum, but for companionship, friendship and having people who will be there for you, I'd check the support forums.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2009 - 5:03PM #6
Bei1052

A.) This is old.

B.) Given it's from Katherine Ragsdale, this doesn't surprise me at all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2009 - 6:43PM #7
bluehorserunning

Yes, it is old; however, I hadn't seen or heard it before, and I imagine that many other readers here also hadn't seen or heard it.

So do you have an actual response?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2009 - 6:45PM #8
ManzanitaBear

Jun 12, 2009 -- 9:27AM, Cesmom wrote:

I agree that it is a positive thing that women have access to a safe, affordable abortion if they deem it necessary in their situation.  There's one line in that blog that I completely disagree with, though...

"decides she does not wish to bear a child; and has access to a safe, affordable abortion - there is not a tragedy in sight -- only blessing."

There is a tragedy in that last situation.  The tragedy is that the pregnancy happened in the first place.  With the exception of a small percentage of failure, proper use of birth control would have been much less tragic.  I can't agree that the last situation includes no tragedy...it does.  You could add lack of birth control to the list of tragedies in the third situation as well.  Pregnancy prevention should always be preferred over abortion, and failure to prevent a pregnancy that was not wanted is absolutely a tragedy.

I've read the whole article, and she actually does say what you say, more or less--that the tragedy isn't the abortion, but lack of birth control.  It was truncated enough here that it didn't show that part.

I was surprised to find myself in complete agreement, after thinking it over.  My first reaction was, I wouldn't go so far as to call abortion a blessing.  My second reaction was, wait a minute, explained like this, it makes perfect sense.

I would say that there's one situation where abortion is a tragedy:  when it's not what the woman wants, but she's forced or pressured into it.  Then her right to choose is violated, her bodily integrity is violated, and a life or potential life (depending on how you see it; I'm agnostic on that question) is taken with no good reason.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2009 - 6:48PM #9
bluehorserunning

^^ absolute agreement.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2009 - 8:24PM #10
Bei1052

Jun 13, 2009 -- 6:43PM, bluehorserunning wrote:

Yes, it is old; however, I hadn't seen or heard it before, and I imagine that many other readers here also hadn't seen or heard it.

So do you have an actual response?

Indeed, I do.

The ability to kick a woman in the stomach and force a miscarriage so I can go on with my life, be successful and have as much sex as I want without ever being forced to take care of a kid I don't want nor can afford would be a "blessing" as well.

...Or not. See how that sounds? It's not different than calling abortion a "blessing".

I won't even mention the fact that 90%+ of abortions are elective and done purely out of convenience (Which would render the entire rape/health concern argument largely moot). The fact that she is completely twisting Christian theology and perfoming some really bad eisegesis by referring to abortion as a "blessing" and the fact that you actually have people who agree with her is startling, yet not overly astonishing.

But, it's what I'd expect from a member of NARAL, which is why I said it doesn't really shock me any.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook