Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Factory Farms Could Be Breeding Swine Flu
5 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2009 - 12:09PM #1
BobGreen
 It is NOT just the animal right groups that talk about the evil of Factory Farms;

"We need to start paying serious attention to the way in which we raise food animals, and the potential risks associated," she says. "Crowding millions of pigs or other animals into factory farms is like conducting a germ breeding program," says Silbergeld. "By raising animals within these highly confined spaces, we are driving the evolution of pathogens," she explains. "Every time a pathogen swaps a host and moves from one organism-a pig, a chicken, or us-to another, it's an opportunity for that pathogen to mutate, acquire new genes, and change itself." Not only do germs proliferate among the animals, they also can infect CAFO workers and be carried by flies attracted to the factories immense quantities of pig manure. Eventually, as may have happened in this current swine flu outbreak, the shuffling of genes can produce a particularly nasty virus."

health.msn.com/health-topics/articlepage...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2009 - 5:38PM #2
solfeggio

Bob -

This is SO true!  My husband and I were saying the same thing yesterday, when we were seeing the latest updates on the swine flu pandemic on the news.  My thoughts on this were that, after humans treating pigs so horribly for so many years, the pigs are finally starting to strike back. 

I feel sorry for innocent little kids who get the flu, and of course I don't hope that anybody will die, but I have to admit that all my sympathies have always gone to the poor pigs who are kept in those miserable conditions and have such short, unhappy lives just because ignorant, stupid humans think they need to eat bacon and pork chops and spare ribs.

Maybe, if enough people fall ill, they'll finally get the message that what they've been doing to pigs all these years is sinful and downright EVIL, and maybe, just maybe, this will be the beginning of the end of pig farms.

I devoutly hope so, for the pigs' sakes.  Because the health and welfare of pigs is equally as important as the health and welfare of humans in every way.  Maybe more so, because the pigs, like children, are innocent creatures who deserve to be looked after - not treated like disposable commodities. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 01, 2009 - 1:01PM #3
sey

Alas, people have been raising pigs -- and getting diseses from them-- for millenia.

I doubt if anyone's going to stop raising pigs, and the factory farms are just too profitable for the big meat producers to reform them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 03, 2009 - 8:36PM #4
BobGreen

Apr 29, 2009 -- 5:38PM, solfeggio wrote:

Bob -

This is SO true!  My husband and I were saying the same thing yesterday, when we were seeing the latest updates on the swine flu pandemic on the news.  My thoughts on this were that, after humans treating pigs so horribly for so many years, the pigs are finally starting to strike back. 

I feel sorry for innocent little kids who get the flu, and of course I don't hope that anybody will die, but I have to admit that all my sympathies have always gone to the poor pigs who are kept in those miserable conditions and have such short, unhappy lives just because ignorant, stupid humans think they need to eat bacon and pork chops and spare ribs.

Maybe, if enough people fall ill, they'll finally get the message that what they've been doing to pigs all these years is sinful and downright EVIL, and maybe, just maybe, this will be the beginning of the end of pig farms.

I devoutly hope so, for the pigs' sakes.  Because the health and welfare of pigs is equally as important as the health and welfare of humans in every way.  Maybe more so, because the pigs, like children, are innocent creatures who deserve to be looked after - not treated like disposable commodities. 

How you been solfegio? Long time no talk.

Human Society  confirms it;

CDC Confirms Ties to Virus First Discovered in U.S. Pig Factories

www.hsus.org/farm/news/ournews/swine_flu...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 04, 2009 - 2:00PM #5
d_p_m
Of course people get diseases from animals. It's one of the reasons certain cultures displaced others - the ones with domesticated animals, often living in the same buildings, got diseases and consequent immunities to them. As a result they were very much advantaged in their competition with cultures that did not domesticate animals. Not only did they have access to better transportation, power, and food supplies, but they also had superior diseases.
"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."

― Niels Bohr

"One need only watch a few minutes of any Orphan Black episode to see why Tatiana Maslany deserves to win every acting award available."

—Mark Rozeman, http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2014/07/18-first-time-emmy-nominees-wed-like-to-see.html?a=1
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 07, 2009 - 12:31PM #6
Shihulud

The fact of the matter is without factory farms there would be no swine flu. This is the result of consumer irresponsibility and greed. The companies are just supplying the people with what they want, and everyone is paying for it, some with their lives.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 07, 2009 - 12:42PM #7
d_p_m

May 7, 2009 -- 12:31PM, Shihulud wrote:

The fact of the matter is without factory farms there would be no swine flu.

Sigh. This statement is not supported by evidence.

1. Pigs exist in the wild. Eliminating farms does not eliminate swine.

2. The primary reservoir for influenza is ducks, not swine.

3. The 'swine flu' is actually a mix of human, avian, and swine flus.

4. Scientific evidence suggests that the most lethal pandemic recorded, in 1918, originated as an avian flu but reassorted in an as yet unidentified intermediate host that was not swine.

Of course, these facts don't as neatly support your prejudices against animal husbandry.

― Niels Bohr

"One need only watch a few minutes of any Orphan Black episode to see why Tatiana Maslany deserves to win every acting award available."

—Mark Rozeman, http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2014/07/18-first-time-emmy-nominees-wed-like-to-see.html?a=1
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 07, 2009 - 4:17PM #8
becca97

The fact of the matter is without factory farms there would be no swine flu. This is the result of consumer irresponsibility and greed. The companies are just supplying the people with what they want, and everyone is paying for it, some with their lives.

Actually it is a lie to suggest the problem here is the consumer; the problem lies in HOW industry works, industry works in every system of politics and economy this world has by exploitation .... there is the economic ethnocentric exploitation whereby only westernised countries get a say in the world banks, megacorps are usually tied into other megacorps so the actual owners and distributers of the worlds wealth are only a handful of the populace ..... i could go on but ...

Yes factory farms do not help the spread and development of various diseases and infections, and yes they are a blight on the system HOWEVER they are not isolated form wider issues of HOW mass industry works WHATEVER the industry is.

Simply blaming the consumer is to ignore the actual problems and the creation of these problems ... the capitalist systems, mass industry and free market economy we have had ever since keynesian economics went out the window to bring forth a nice free market economy.

can consumers make a difference yes BUT only if they have the economic means to make alternative choices, in the middle of one of the worst recissions in recent historyit is simply not good enough to blast consumers who are trying ot choose the cheapest optiosn they think are available that also provide the most nourishment one HAS to treat folks with respect and understanding and present alternatives that are realistic, nourishing and affordable for the same or cheaper prices than they currently pay .....

blaming consumers for swine flu is like blaming the pigs both are victims of mass industry and circumstance .. no amount of ignorance alters that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 07, 2009 - 4:18PM #9
becca97

May 7, 2009 -- 12:42PM, d_p_m wrote:

The fact of the matter is without factory farms there would be no swine flu.

Sigh. This statement is not supported by evidence.   1. Pigs exist in the wild. Eliminating farms does not eliminate swine.  2. The primary reservoir for influenza is ducks, not swine.  3. The 'swine flu' is actually a mix of human, avian, and swine flus.  4. Scientific evidence suggests that the most lethal pandemic recorded, in 1918, originated as an avian flu but reassorted in an as yet unidentified intermediate host that was not swine.  Of course, these facts don't as neatly support your prejudices against animal husbandry.

dpm i think you will appreciate this ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO-R3hg9rnY

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 08, 2009 - 12:36AM #10
d_p_m
Thanks, Becca.

― Niels Bohr

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook