Switch to Forum Live View Someone In Need Of Guidance
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2009 - 6:26AM #1
Ilsan English Teacher
I am an agnostic who doesn't know where to start in fighting all the cruelty and depravity in this world. One of the things that gravitates me towards atheism/agnosticism is the emphasis on making the most of the life we have right now and not waiting for the afterlife. I want to know if anyone has advice on how I can help achieve my goals of making a better life.

One thing that really disgusts me is all the people who aren't registered orang donors. What really aggravates me is when you look at someone like Terri Calvesbert ( http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=i6F4dMgsLs0), who has 88% of her body burned. There is someone who could really benefit off increased organ donation. When you are dead, you do not need your body anymore. It's incredibally selfish not to be a registered organ donor.

Thanks for your time and please respond.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2009 - 1:54AM #2
blueberryangel
Hello English Teacher,

My brother is an agnostic, also an academic person, although he is more into science and history rather than English. I am more into writing and poetry and artistic endeavors...though don't look to my grammar spelling or punctuation for evidence of that.  Anyway, I think a lot of academic people are questioning but also very reluctant to believe anything they can't see or prove before their very eyes.  It's very natural.  In fact if you think about it, really ALL of us are agnostic. Being that many of us may have been born into or chosen a belief system, or may just be spiritual...We may have that inner "knowing" of God, but can we prove it? Nope, we certainly can't, and I am not a brilliant scientist like my brother, in fact I am a little bit disadvantaged in science and math, and certainly will never be able to understand a lot of higher thinking..But in my gut I really doubt any scientist will ever be able to prove the existence or non existence of God.  There's talk about the "god particle" whatever that means and quantum physics, which I will probably never be able to understand, even if my brother spent years trying to explain it to me.  But I just really doubt it will ever be possible to prove through science either the existence of non-existence of God. And for that reason it will always be a matter or faith...or...a matter of simply not knowing one way or the other.

Likewise, many atheistics may claim there is absolutely no God and no afterlife, and nothing but physics and matter and exactly what we see in front of us, and they may know in their mind that that is fact for them (as opposed to believers who know in their heart or soul)...but they can't prove it either.  So essentially EVERYONE'S default position of spirituality is agnosticism, no matter where they come from or who they are. Therefore, you shouldn't feel out of place, but exactly where you should be at this moment.  You may find yourself somewhere else in the future but you should not look at it as better or worse.  If you want to pursue Atheism, or if you want to pursue different kinds of belief systems, or make up your own (who's to say it would not be as correct as any old religion?).

I will tell you that not all religions focus on the afterlife and neglect the here and now.  I've started studying Judaism a little.  One of their big things is doing "mitzvah".  Every Jew must do mitzvah as an every day part of life, and basically all it means is good works...Like little repairs of the world...Little things (or big things) you can do to make the world a better place and help others.  I am not an expert though, so if you want to go to the Judaism boards, you can but I am not trying to sway you one way or the other, just saying that not all religions focus on just the afterlife...and there are probably many more than are similar.

I also think that for me personally it makes my life a lot better and richer to have something to believe in.  but that's a personal thing.

I am an organ donor by the way, although I now have liver disease and I'm overweight and I'm still fairly young but my heart is probably at least a tiny bit clogged by now....but...there are probably some parts of me that are still pretty healthy and that somebody would want for their own...lol, it's not really funny though, it's a gift.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2009 - 10:28AM #3
Forest Child

Ilsan English Teacher wrote:

I am an agnostic who doesn't know where to start in fighting all the cruelty and depravity in this world. One of the things that gravitates me towards atheism/agnosticism is the emphasis on making the most of the life we have right now and not waiting for the afterlife. I want to know if anyone has advice on how I can help achieve my goals of making a better life.

One thing that really disgusts me is all the people who aren't registered orang donors. What really aggravates me is when you look at someone like Terri Calvesbert ( http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=i6F4dMgsLs0), who has 88% of her body burned. There is someone who could really benefit off increased organ donation. When you are dead, you do not need your body anymore. It's incredibally selfish not to be a registered organ donor.

Thanks for your time and please respond.

I respect your right to believe what you feel is right, here and now.  Being motivated to do good in this world, to make the most of every living moment is a wonderful thing and not limited to atheism or agnosticism.

What stirs you?  What do you feel truly and deeply committed to helping with?  For me it is working with some local charities in my spare time.  Cleaning beaches near me (picking up litter) and picking up litter when I am out walking.  I honour the earth in this way and, I hope, help wildlife and other humans too.  I make art which may touch someone, if not, it elevates me to be creative.  I help others in different ways but always because they ask, not the other way around.

Being an organ donor is important to me too but I also respect other peoples beliefs to not be an organ donor.  I have worked with a man who has done some pretty indepth studies into heart transplants and how the psychological effects pan out for recipients of donor hearts.  In too many cases to be ignored, recipients report changes in emotions, memories which are not theirs and psychological changes which can be directly attributed to the donor!  More recently it has been found that there are neurones in the outer heart tissue which have the capacity to 'think' in some way.  Its a fascinating field.

For this reason alone I can respect another persons wish not to be an organ donor or recipient.  Everyone must make their own choice.  Perhaps people not bothering to make a choice, however, is the more uncomfortable truth we face in this society?

I think you have a great attitude to life, live it to the full, live it to be of use and to have a positive effect.  What do you plan to do?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2009 - 2:00AM #4
Gracious_mystery

Hey Ilsan,

I don't know much about organ donoring, but I believe it making the world a better place by doing what you're passionate about. I understand how you feel as an agnostic--making everyday count because there's no guarantees of an afterlife. For me, my beliefs (even about non-spiritual things) are very spiritual to me. I defend my beliefs with all that I am, and I am very passionate about them.

If you believe everyone should be an organ donor--find organizations that deal with that. Volunteer for those places. Can you set up a table or booth and register organ donors the way you register voters?

Do some public (and private to your friends) about the benefits of organ donation to the giver and the reciever....tell true stories, make an emotional impact.

Jump in the creek and get your feet wet!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook