Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Aboriginal death in custody
6 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2009 - 3:08AM #11
Karma_yeshe_dorje

G'day becca97:

"social and crime stats"

«Irrespective of how one measures and describes Aboriginal imprisonment, differences between imprisonment rates of Aborigines and others are so profound, so unfathomable, that rates that normally would scandalise mainstream Australian society appear unreal and 'third world'»

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/tandi/ti12.pdf

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2009 - 10:28AM #12
karbie

There is a word for a policeman who kills a suspect who is in custody at the time.  It's "murderer". Being given a badge is not an excuse to be a bully or a racist, but it's a job some control freaks aspire to. In this case, someone administered the DP without bothering to go through the judicial process first...and even a flawed judicial system would not have imposed a DP for the victim in this case.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2009 - 4:36PM #13
Karma_yeshe_dorje
karbie:

"a badge is not an excuse to be a bully"

«Former Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori was convicted of human rights crimes and sentenced to 25 years in prison yesterday, the first time a democratically elected Latin American president has been found guilty in his own country of such offences.

A three-judge panel convicted him of ordering a military death squad to carry out two massacres during his 1990-2000 rule.

Presiding Judge Cesar San Martin told a hushed courtroom there was no question Fujimori authorized the creation of the Colina unit, which the court said killed at least 50 people during its 15 months»

http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/615404
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2009 - 7:50PM #14
becca97

Apr 8, 2009 -- 10:28AM, karbie wrote:

There is a word for a policeman who kills a suspect who is in custody at the time.  It's "murderer". Being given a badge is not an excuse to be a bully or a racist, but it's a job some control freaks aspire to. In this case, someone administered the DP without bothering to go through the judicial process first...and even a flawed judicial system would not have imposed a DP for the victim in this case.

The point is karbie that all of these issues are interrelated -- if a justice system is flawed form its police up then it stands to reason these self same issues WILL infect DP issues; instead of thinking of just the individual biography of this case in the OP think in a wider judicial and social context -- ie What are the implications of such occurences to the DP?

As i've argued on this forum before given the number of miscarriages of justice and alleged miscarriages of justice these issues are intimatly linked to DP discussions, they have to be for the discussions to have any context and meaning.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2009 - 6:58AM #15
karbie

I know that; this issue just deserved a thread of it's own. It's like the slaughter in Darfur--human trafficing--as long as the people who should be doing something about it keep waiting for someone ELSE to take care of it, nothing is going to happen.

"All that is required for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing."

The best weapon is to turn over the rocks and shine bright lights on what is happening because it DOES make the systems look unfair, biased, and flawed. It's the only thing that makes politians motivated enough to do something.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2009 - 8:11AM #16
Karma_yeshe_dorje
G'day karbie:

"the people who should be doing something about it keep waiting for someone ELSE to take care of it"

This week I met politicians.

«In the developed West, a precipitous decline in political participation, weaknesses in the functioning of government, and security-related curbs on civil liberties are having a corrosive effect on some long-established democracies.»

http://a330.g.akamai.net/7/330/25828/20081021185552/graphics.eiu.com/PDF/Democracy%20Index%202008.pdf
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2009 - 11:58AM #17
becca97

Apr 9, 2009 -- 6:58AM, karbie wrote:

I know that; this issue just deserved a thread of it's own. It's like the slaughter in Darfur--human trafficing--as long as the people who should be doing something about it keep waiting for someone ELSE to take care of it, nothing is going to happen.

"All that is required for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing."

The best weapon is to turn over the rocks and shine bright lights on what is happening because it DOES make the systems look unfair, biased, and flawed. It's the only thing that makes politians motivated enough to do something.

This is what the OP has been doing, that he/she is doing it in relation to the DP is immaterial the light is beign shined, if you desire the light to be shined elsewhere as well then you have the links and as much ability as i or the OP to post on bnet or elsewhere.

btw aside from that i agree with your post :)

bx

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2009 - 4:25AM #18
Karma_yeshe_dorje
G'day becca97:

"the OP has been doing, that he/she"

Please click my avatar.

"desire the light to be shined elsewhere "

This was the response of many employers!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2009 - 9:49AM #19
karbie

Of course, if they weren't continuing to treat the Aboriginal population like second or third class citizens (if that well), it wouldn't matter how much light was shined on those employers in the first place! I'm sure they are busily volunteering information on Other Companies Who Aren't as Nice as We Are to move the spotlight away from themselves. That's the time-honored excuse, isn't it? "Oh, it isn't me personally, you know. Don't have a problem with "them" at all myself, but I don't set the policies here.  Why aren't you investigating THAT company? I doubt if they've got more than one or two ont the payroll if any! Those are the sort you should be calling attention to!"

Sorry, I'm sure you've heard enough variations on that theme right now. I guess if the Native Americans and the Aborigines had just overdeveloped and over hunted the land they would have had a better chance of keeping it when our respective continents were "discovered" and exploited.

If they don't like the light, get a brighter bulb.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook