Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Aboriginal death in custody
6 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 10:45AM #1
Karma_yeshe_dorje
This was a very big issue for the Koori community.

NATIONAL, January 15, 2008: The family of Mulrunji Doomadgee will appeal a court decision to set aside a coroner's findings into the death in custody of the Aboriginal man on Palm Island in 2004.

The Palm Island Shire Council will join the family in appealing the decision of a District Court judge which set aside the findings made by the coroner that Mr Doomadgee's death was caused by a police officer.

In 2006, Deputy State Coroner Christine Clements found that Senior Sergeant Chris Hurley was responsible for the death of Mr Doomadgee while he was in custody.

~National Indigenous Times~

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 10:48AM #2
Tmarie64
Do you understand why they have categories in B'net?  This is not a "Death Penalty" issue.
Why do you always do this?  This is not the first time you've done this today. 
Do you not understand what the category means?  It doesn't mean someone died, it's for debate over a COURT SENTENCING someone to death.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 11:57AM #3
bubbysmommy
We need to simply start ignoring these kind of posts altogether.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 12:14PM #4
Tmarie64

bubbysmommy wrote:

We need to simply start ignoring these kind of posts altogether.

No, I won't.  The rules are in place for a reason.  Even for those who think they know everything.

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2009 - 11:35AM #5
Karma_yeshe_dorje
You have the imaginary position that justice is legitimate. Whereas most official homicide is extrajudicial, illegal, and perpetrated against minorities.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2009 - 9:41PM #6
becca97

Jan 27, 2009 -- 10:45AM, Karma_yeshe_dorje wrote:

This was a very big issue for the Koori community. 

NATIONAL, January 15, 2008: The family of Mulrunji Doomadgee will appeal a court decision to set aside a coroner's findings into the death in custody of the Aboriginal man on Palm Island in 2004.  The Palm Island Shire Council will join the family in appealing the decision of a District Court judge which set aside the findings made by the coroner that Mr Doomadgee's death was caused by a police officer.  In 2006, Deputy State Coroner Christine Clements found that Senior Sergeant Chris Hurley was responsible for the death of Mr Doomadgee while he was in custody.

~National Indigenous Times~

I think this illustrates some excellent examples of the inherent injustices in the accepted judicial practices and attitudes we have in world society --- injustices which in death penalty terms can oftne lead to sloppy police work, negative profiling based on ethnicity and 'race', sloppy law enforcment based on ethnicicty and 'race' --- how cna we possibly trust law enforcment to treat people properly when they continually fail to do so, even causing the deaths of people in custody and seemingly 'getting away' with doing so in an inherently unfair and more urgently UNSAFE system.

whilst i can see why some would argue this doesn't belong on the DP board it DOES most deifnatly belong here as it is examining and bringing to light a great many PERTINANT issues anyone agrguing for the DP have GOT to address if they wish to be taken genuinly and seriously on this issue -- one can NOT just dismiss evidence of the inherent injustice of the justice system(s) and still validly argue the DP is a good thing.

Just imagine you are of an indigenous ethnicity in this judicial area facing a capital charge -- would you have any confidence of a fair trail after this judgment; OR you are a VICTIM of indigenous ethnicity with a white male cop accused of killing you --- no this is very pertinant to the DP discussion and i'm dissappointed folks have allowed personal issues with the OP cloud their judgment.

becca

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2009 - 1:19AM #7
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Thanks, becca97:

«The recruitment and assignment of police and prison officers are crucial functions. Applicants who manifest racial prejudice or abnormally aggressive tendencies should not be accepted for employment. Serving officers who become unsuitable for duties relating to Aboriginal persons or custodial confinement should be assigned other duties. Officers assigned to work with or near Aboriginal communities or with Aboriginal offenders, should be selected based on their sensitivity to and appreciation of Aboriginal culture.»

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/tandi/ti12.pdf
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2009 - 9:01PM #8
becca97

Apr 6, 2009 -- 1:19AM, Karma_yeshe_dorje wrote:

Thanks, becca97:

i merely speak as i find, and although i can understand why some folks find your style of communicating irksome that shouldn't mean dismissing something that is blatantly pertinant to the issues at hand based on that bias.

i kinda like your style, shakes things up a  abit, which imho is what DP discussions need.

bx

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2009 - 11:14PM #9
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Last night the Speaker of the Australian Capital Territory Legislative Assembly told our party that he had been revising the definition of murder.

This reminded me of when I had been studying road safety. I had read that the number of prosecutions for traffic offences had leapt there! But that was not attributed to more dangerous driving. Rather it reflected an increase in the assignment of police to traffic enforcement!

So I expected that changing the wording of legislation about murder, would similarly change the murder statistics.
:-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2009 - 9:55AM #10
becca97

Apr 6, 2009 -- 11:14PM, Karma_yeshe_dorje wrote:

Last night the Speaker of the Australian Capital Territory Legislative Assembly told our party that he had been revising the definition of murder.  This reminded me of when I had been studying road safety. I had read that the number of prosecutions for traffic offences had leapt there! But that was not attributed to more dangerous driving. Rather it reflected an increase in the assignment of police to traffic enforcement!  So I expected that changing the wording of legislation about murder, would similarly change the murder statistics. :-)

makes perfect sense; as somone who studies various social and crime stats it makes perfect sense ..... interesting info.

bx

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook